Straight Talk is one of the best-kept secrets in wireless, says Walmart executive

Are they saying its a secret because no one uses it?

We were going to get my son a new phone, he needed unlimited text, picture messaging and talk... We looked at straight talk and almost got it but then found it it was more expensive then if we just added him to our AT&T Family Share account. So he got an iPhone 4S instead and its cheaper then Straight Talk.

They are not really unlimited. They will throttle you back quite often and I know one guy that got his phone shut off for watching movies on his phone.

They are not really unlimited. They will throttle you back quite often and I know one guy that got his phone shut off for watching movies on his phone.
Never had this happen , we have 3 Samsung Galaxy 3 with unlimited family plans for $135 per month going on 2 years now. Verizon with the same plan was over $205 per month easy and we still paid $200 for 3 Samsung S II ! Happiest day was dropping that 24 month commitment with Verizon $5000 later. Straight Talk saved us $500 per year, even with paying $250 per phone after our rebates. And they still use Verizon towers.

Not much of an article.
More like a press release.

Straight Talk has been around for quite a while.
Maybe 3 years (?).

I put a used iPhone 4 onto their "Bring Your Own Phone" plan, about 18 months ago.
Even ported my AT&T number (and I'm still on AT&T towers). ;)
Around the Los Angeles suburbs, I can't tell any difference.

My Everything Plan gives unlimited calling, texting, 411, and data.
That's $45/month. There are NO taxes nor fees on top of it!

I knew going in, from reading all about ST at Howard forums, that data wasn't really unlimited.
However, it was the cheapest GSM solution with data, and having spent 10+ years on Cingular/AT&T, I knew coverage would be good.

AT&T has introduced a competitive plan, and that may be why ST is now putting users on T-mobile.
They always had both carriers in the past, depending on where you lived.

Anyway, unless ST forces me to Tmobile, I continue to be a happy customer. ;)

I got different answers regarding bringing over our Verizon iPhone 4S's to their system. At first I was told this was no problem and that I would have to pay a $14.99 plus tax fee to unlock it for their network; then I was told that it was not possible to bring over a Verizon iPhone 4S.

Neutron - I would refer you to the Howard forum to research the question.
They'll have a thread on every aspect.

Talking to ST customer service is frustrating at best.
I'm only happy because I limit my contact with them. ;)
And since I have no problems, that works out just fine. :up

Edit: also, be sure to ask this question if you find evidence they've done it in the past:
"Do they STILL do it?"

As for putting that handset on AT&T or T-mobile, there's not a chance in hell.
But ST does have contracts with Verizon, so they SHOULD be able to handle your 4S.
If not, I'd sure like to know why!

Edit2: the StraightTalk web site says the Bring Your Own Phone deal works with unlocked GSM phones such as AT&T or T-mobile, not with Sprint/Verizon/Metro CDMA handset.
Guess that's the final word. :down

Last edited:
Anole

I could almost say I am pissed off at you......but I won't.....simple reason your answers to me about cellphone plans are saving me a little more than 3/4 of the price I would pay for Verizon Share everything plan. Since I switched to Straight Talk. The only thing I am mad about is I had a full head of Red hair when I got my new phones. Now I am totally "White headed" (the hair that is left after pulling out hair) All kidding aside you are right Straight Talk is a hidden treasure!

Not much of an article.
More like a press release.

Straight Talk has been around for quite a while.
Maybe 3 years (?).

I put a used iPhone 4 onto their "Bring Your Own Phone" plan, about 18 months ago.
Even ported my AT&T number (and I'm still on AT&T towers). ;)
Around the Los Angeles suburbs, I can't tell any difference.

My Everything Plan gives unlimited calling, texting, 411, and data.
That's $45/month. There are NO taxes nor fees on top of it!

I knew going in, from reading all about ST at Howard forums, that data wasn't really unlimited.
However, it was the cheapest GSM solution with data, and having spent 10+ years on Cingular/AT&T, I knew coverage would be good.

AT&T has introduced a competitive plan, and that may be why ST is now putting users on T-mobile.
They always had both carriers in the past, depending on where you lived.

Anyway, unless ST forces me to Tmobile, I continue to be a happy customer. ;)

You're Welcome. :D

Not responsible for hair loss associated with convoluted cellular plans. ;)
AND, for some (like my lawyers secretary), adding their college daughter to a family plan might be cheaper.
I fly solo. W6PEA and Stogie talked about two users.
So, for us, it was a deal, since coverage was good.

And yes, Stogie spent a year twisting my arm to go ST.
So far, it's paid off. :up ;) Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)