Strange configuration with a splitter ?

pet21

Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Today I went on my house roof and saw this connections. I don't know does it operate, or may be someone unexperienced connected it in such a way. Please tell your opinion.

Attachments

• sattt.jpg
    sattt.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 283
  • dishnetwork.jpg
    dishnetwork.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 179
hehe theres alot wrong with that setup.

The 900Mhz splitter is meant for cable tv, not satellite. Get rid of that. Next, whats with the two house stick figures? Technically if you're sharing between houses Dish wants you two pay for two accounts.

If you remove that splitter you'll have service on one tv from the 3 satellite locations. If you had a second tv, just duplicate the existing setup. Wire from the twin lnb (on the left), into the SW21.. Wire from the single lnb (on the right), into the sw21. From that sw21 run wire to your second receiver.

Make sure you're using RG-6 coax for your wiring.

That's what happens when cable-minded installers think they can run Dish or when someone who doesn't know better is lazy.

Anole said:
Didn't anyone notice the DishPro LNBs with the SW21 switch? ;)

I saw that, but figured he probably was just copy/pasting pictures from the internet and didnt realize those were DPs. However, it would be a good idea to check whatever he has setup to make sure they ARENT DishPro, considering the rest of the install is a clusterF :)

No. That setup wont ever work. The major flaw is the splitter itself. Have you tried to put a powered coax thru one of those splitters? It shorts the power out, thus driving the receiver HOT possibly burning up the device that supplies the LNB with power to operate. Secondly, DishPro LNBF's with a legacy SW21 switch? That is not the way to switch 2 dishpro heads.

That configuration will not work (that must be why you were on the roof). What you need to do is change the DP Twin to a DPP Twin and get rid of the rest and if this is a ture diagram I would take a picture of this mess and send it to dish and have the correct it for free and let them charge back the idot who put it in.

I know it won't work. I'm just saying why he decided to check until now, that should've never worked. You are right about that splitter, it could kill the receivers and the LNBs.

I think HookieEngineer is right when he said that he just copied/pasted DP LNBs pictures from the Internet. He's probably using Legacy LNBs.

Yes, it's Twin Pro LNBF, someone wanted to connect to the same dish. That are not my dishes,so I don't know whether it works or ot, but I am interested with a splitter because I have read about special splitters (Dishnetwork)

So there is no chance to work in such configuration with a 900Mhz splitter.
I found picture of an satellite splitter, I see it has DC conductivity(marked with red), what about cheap 99c 5-900mhz
DP-1003 - Three Way Splitter

Attachments

• spliter.jpg
    spliter.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 166
hahahahahaha!

Here's your "splitter" http://www.microyal.com/dp-splitter.html
I remember these.
Their use was to distribute the same signal from one DP LNB on an 18" dish to several switches for some odd setups.
It was for adding an extra satellite.
You could use a DP Twin, a DP single, and a DP21 switch to get 148 or 61, but what if you wanted to run three receivers?
You needed three LNB outputs for your 61 bird!
This "splitter" provided that . And of course a lower signal level (I don't think it's powered/amplified)
Today, you would use a DP34 and be done with it.
DP34's no longer cost an arm and a leg like they did a few years back!

Yes, they work for their purpose, and only for their original purpose.

better answer

pet21 -

I'm sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing with you.

Just tell us what you want to accomplish, and someone will help you out.
But no, TV/Cable splitters have no function in the Dish/BEV world.
And that Microyal splitter isn't generally useful for much of any purpose, either.

For instance, if you want to run two Dish receivers, hook one to each output of the big Twin LNB, and you are done.
That'll get you 110 and 119 on both receivers.

Great dish shot you added above! ;)
I can see from the orientation that you are in the eastern part of the country, and your little dish is pointed at 61.
Here is programming on 61:
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyangel_sid.html
and
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish61_sid.html
The SID is the channel number.
Unless you NEED one of those, don't bother with the extra dish.
If you do, then there are two easy ways to go:
1) get two DP21 switches and hook one up where that useless SW21 is.
Hook the other one up similarly, to the remaining outputs of your two LNBs.
2) get a DP34 switch. Hook both outputs of the Twin LNB and one output of the single LNB.
The switch then gives you four outputs, for up to four receivers.

Only thing is, both receivers need to be DishPro capable, if your LNB is DishPro.
That's not a big deal.
All 3-digit Dish receivers (starting with the 301's) are fine and they'll have a little 'dp' logo on their rear panel.

Of course it shouldn't work!

Don't ever say never. The splitter will do a fair job passing power. The SW21 will pass power and pass signal (at least) thru default port 1.

Neither the splitter nor the SW21 have sharp cutoff.

I can't tell you how many of these I've run into. A lot. And some working! Mostly the ones working were DTV, or D300, and always one rec setups.

Customers don't know the dif between F88 and splitter. It's just a way to connect cables, to them. They always have 4way splitters laying around, but never a barrel.

I'm sure there are splitters out there that are dc short. I haven't run into one! Most pass dc just fine.

Try it, and you may be suprised how bad a job can be hacked and still work. :shocked

Update

No I'm not crazy. Found another one today. Is it just in my area or is this found all over???

Install I did this AM. (Sunday)

Used existing cable from dish to a 625 from a DPP twin on D500. Worked perfectly. Was replacing a SD that DNSC had installed last year. (long story)

Looked in attic to figure out the backfeed situation. I found the RG6 from dish went to "in" on a 4way splitter. Outs went to jacks throughout house. Like I say It worked fine with DPP and I assume SD with DP34.

What I am assuming to be reason for this is.

Three tv jacks in house. If this really worked, the receiver could be moved to any location, and the signal could be diplexed back to the other tvs with "NO" wiring changes. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts