Streaming Totals?

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
T-Mobile home internet just became available in my area I have recently purchased it, and I absolutely love it! The speed is so much faster than my 25/3 AT&T connection with 1TB data cap. Currently the only device using the T-Mobile internet is the Smart TV and my laptop. Yesterday I streamed a replay of an NFL game through the NFL app through my Roku stick and it was almost 4 GB for a full hour of streaming. Is that a lot or normal? With this T-Mobile home internet I could easily see my blowing past 1TB a month if 4 GB is normal for an hour of streaming.

Reactions: stardust3 and N6BY
T-Mobile home internet just became available in my area I have recently purchased it, and I absolutely love it! The speed is so much faster than my 25/3 AT&T connection with 1TB data cap. Currently the only device using the T-Mobile internet is the Smart TV and my laptop. Yesterday I streamed a replay of an NFL game through the NFL app through my Roku stick and it was almost 4 GB for a full hour of streaming. Is that a lot or normal? With this T-Mobile home internet I could easily see my blowing past 1TB a month if 4 GB is normal for an hour of streaming.
I thought T-Mobile did not have a data cap?

I just looked it up, it does not-

Is there a data cap on the unlimited Home Internet service?​

Nope! There are no data caps on our unlimited Home Internet service. If you are on Home Internet Lite, click here.

Yesterday I streamed a replay of an NFL game through the NFL app through my Roku stick and it was almost 4 GB for a full hour of streaming. Is that a lot or normal?
That's a lot. Sounds like you're streaming at 4K. I have Hulu and run anywhere from 7g to 20g when running it all day. We have it set for 720. Can't really tell the difference between 720 and 1090 (or whatever the next setting up is.)

Thanks for the info - that is what I was wondering - almost 4 gigs of streaming seemed like a lot from my previous experience. I have a Samsung 4k TV, and I wonder if the Roku stick was detecting the highest amount of bandwidth because it is a 4k TV. I am new to this streaming thing. My adapter on my PC is usually around 50GB for the last 30 days, and that includes the occasional streaming - but on my PC the streaming is always 720 and is really easy to see if the setting changes. Not as easy to see if the setting changes on the TV or the apps on Roku. I saw the option called bandwidth saver on the Roku stick and I thought that would limit the picture quality, but the only option was to be prompted if the stream was going for 4 hours to ensure someone was watching it.

Thanks for the info - that is what I was wondering - almost 4 gigs of streaming seemed like a lot from my previous experience. I have a Samsung 4k TV, and I wonder if the Roku stick was detecting the highest amount of bandwidth because it is a 4k TV. I am new to this streaming thing. My adapter on my PC is usually around 50GB for the last 30 days, and that includes the occasional streaming - but on my PC the streaming is always 720 and is really easy to see if the setting changes. Not as easy to see if the setting changes on the TV or the apps on Roku. I saw the option called bandwidth saver on the Roku stick and I thought that would limit the picture quality, but the only option was to be prompted if the stream was going for 4 hours to ensure someone was watching it.
Give the Roku Bandwidth saver a try on something that isn't as important to you .... set it and see what it shows when done ...
I don't know what TV your using, but a lot of them do a very nice job of Upscaling, so your TV May push it up to close enough to 4k for your visual liking, this way you could save the bandwidth while also enjoying your shows.

It wasn't too long ago I would have jumped through hoops to get decent internet. Spectrum had some government money and they ran lines in front of my place last December. I'm certain they would not have done it without those funds. That project according to the lineman was over 8000 feet of wire. Love the speeds and responsiveness, over 500 mb down and over 20 mb up. With 45 devices on my network it just works but isn't cheap at $85 a month. Plus my usage between just 2 of us is averaging 700 gb a month.
If T mobile were available before spectrum I would have been all over it. Of course it is available now and will keep that an option if funds ever get tight. Glad to hear the positive experience with them. It always good to have options.

I used it for a year and finally gave up and sent the Tmobile mobile back and reconnected my Cox modem. TMobile just became so flaky as more people signed up.

Rain or snow would mess with the signal. I'm within a mile of 3 towers and jumping between towers would screw things up too as the strongest tower was N71/B66 and gave the bet overall speeds but would get congested during the evening when it would switch to the furthest tower with N41 and either B66 or B2. When this happened my upload would fall to 1Mbps and just slow the entire network down.

4GB-6Gb per hour is correct for 1hr of high quality 1080p from Amazon, Netflix etc... 4k would be 20-25Gb per hour. I watch a lot of 4k shows and I press against the stupid 1.2Tb data cap Cox imposes each month. I've been within 10Gb of going over each of the last 3 months :mad:.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I got their internet last week. Speeds with 4 bars were 5-600 down, but 5ghz (split band) was not recognized by some devices and if some did connect, the would only last about an hour. They are sending me a new Gateway, so the verdict it still out.

Last edited:
I finally was able to TMO last May after trying for months. I wasn't expecting much, but it has been working great 90% of the time. This morning I had dl speeds of 232 mbps. Most of the time the dl is in the low 100's and the ul is in the upper 20's. It went down two times for about a week and the speeds were horrible, but they back up after the upgrade/repairs were done on my tower which is 1.7 miles away. When it went down the first time I signed up for the Dish 5G hotspot as a backup.

Their plan is unlimited which is good being I have been streaming a lot more and most of this has been 4K. I am paying $30 a month for TMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: sktrus
I must give credit to TMobile for not raising their $50 a month fee after inflation hurt everybody all over the world. (Pls don't rush and blame the current administation. I was all over Europe last summer. Everybody was hurting!)
Unlimited Internet, $50 bucks/month, mostly reliable, living in sticks. I don't think there is a better alternative for most of us, country folks. If I remember correctly the fee goes down to $25 when you switch to their cell plan for phones.

If you get it and see only two bars on the can display, don't panic. It works. TMo made some upgrades on towers close to me last year. Speed went up and glitches mostly disappeared. I hardly notice three bars. Still, no issues. When we stream we use only one tv. (720 or 1080) It is fantastic.

So far no data cap. I use about 300-350 GB a month. When users start pushing 1-2 TB for their 4K tvs, they may have to bring some limits or raise the monthly fee. We will see.
I noticed their new gateway is black compared to silver I got. No idea if it provides a faster connection.

Reactions: djont57 and AZ.
Received the repacement gateway (Sagecom), no better than before. Little to No 5ghz recognition or stable connection. Yep, it was too good to be true! Cancelled and returned equipment.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell