Subchannel Discussion Thread

I loved the Tube and Cool TV, but I doubt there's any money to be made in a 24/7 music video channel OTA since both channels ended up going away. (Cool TV is still online, but it's all indie stuff now.) I think the days of a 24 hours music video channel are history. Otherwise, VH1 and MTV would still be following that same style of programming today. If you like 80s music videos (and a few 90s mixed in), there's the 80s channel on Roku.

I loved the Tube and Cool TV, but I doubt there's any money to be made in a 24/7 music video channel OTA since both channels ended up going away. (Cool TV is still online, but it's all indie stuff now.) I think the days of a 24 hours music video channel are history. Otherwise, VH1 and MTV would still be following that same style of programming today. If you like 80s music videos (and a few 90s mixed in), there's the 80s channel on Roku.
Then why aren't the country music subchannels gone?
* Heartland (formerly TNN)
* The Country Network (formerly ZUUS Country)

It's a wonder no company has started a lifestyle/reality/factual type subchannel with property, food, DIY, makeover, reality, travel, paranormal series. These programs rate well on HGTV/Food Network. These shows would be cheap to acquire and there surely is a gap in the market for an OTA subchannel like this?

Right now most music video subchannels air country music, Spanish music and religious music, but there's no channel for pop, top 40, rock, jazz, rap, etc. to call home.
What would these channels play?

New music of significant quality is bordering on non-existent from my perspective and for what little there is, I'd rather listen to it than watch some ridiculously expensive video after having waited for the next song through a barrage of litigation commercials (or one or two long-winded commercials).

These shows would be cheap to acquire and there surely is a gap in the market for an OTA subchannel like this?
I think you're making some pretty terrible assumptions. The magic of cable channels is that they will try to wring several years of airing episodes before they cut them loose.

What would these channels play?

New music of significant quality is bordering on non-existent from my perspective and for what little there is, I'd rather listen to it than watch some ridiculously expensive video after having waited for the next song through a barrage of litigation commercials (or one or two long-winded commercials).

They'd most likely play classic music from the '80s, '90s and '00s. For modern stuff, Coldplay, Train, Pharrell Williams, Daft Punk, Bruno Mars, etc.

How about a bikini channel?
Unfortunately, there are too many people that see it as their business to regulate what others see or do. There real task they've been given is to show us a better alternative but that's too difficult.

The US' OTA business model remains significantly dependent on advertising and threats of boycotts are a fearsome tool.

In Europe, much of the TV broadcasting is done by the gubmint and funded by taxes or fees so they're less concerned about the threats of self-annointed censors.

They'd most likely play classic music from the '80s, '90s and '00s. For modern stuff, Coldplay, Train, Pharrell Williams, Daft Punk, Bruno Mars, etc.
That you can only name a handful of artists proves my point.

Who is going to pay for all of this? Obtaining the content costs money and putting it on the airwaves costs money too.

Before you step in it, broadcast radio typically doesn't pay for what they play.

How about a bikini channel?:biggrin Just get away from G rated crap. We need something fresh in FTA OTA here in the good old USA. European TV FTA OTA has been doing it for years.:rolleyes:p
It was nice to have jasmine tv around that was nice that was a good time well worth watching.

Reactions: N5XZS
A strong lobby?

Back when airplay drove record sales, it wasn't a bad idea but now it makes very little sense -- especially when they are sticking it to satellite and Internet "radio".
I think they still have to pay out royalties to the recording artists who performed those songs and their record companies when giving the songs airtime on broadcast radio.
Airplay drives record sales/mp3 sales on some of the most popular FM radio stations. If all else fails sales can usually be made-up for by concert tickets.

I see that Cozi TV have added Will and Grace to their lineup. Compared to their other programming excluding Frasier, other programs are older and some much older. Would you classify this as classic or just not classic enough for subchannels? Could they add Friends as well? Or 3rd Rock from the Sun etc?

Back to the original post, I consider anything before the 2000s as classic TV. 90s TV is now around 20+ years old for much of that decade now. Growing up in the 90s, the 70s were considered a classic TV decade at 20-something years earlier. I guess that means in less than 2 years, programming of the early 2000s will be considered "classic TV". Ugh, that means Survivor and other stuff will be deemed classic TV.

I think they still have to pay out royalties to the recording artists who performed those songs and their record companies when giving the songs airtime on broadcast radio.
Hopefully this will teach you not to base your thinking on reasoning in matters of fact.

Somebody does get royalties but it is party that you didn't name:

What You Didn't Know About Radio Royalties

The songwriter(s) is/are paid a royalty but the artist and recording copyright owners are stiffed.

Back to the original post, I consider anything before the 2000s as classic TV. 90s TV is now around 20+ years old for much of that decade now. Growing up in the 90s, the 70s were considered a classic TV decade at 20-something years earlier.
Prior to the 80s, I'm not sure anyone had really conceived of widespread distribution of "Oldies" TV. Yeah, you could find independent stations carrying I Love Lucy and Gunsmoke but it wasn't all that mainstream.

Enter TBS and some other "Superstations" and things changed quickly. Now you could find them playing multiple episodes of WKRP and Taxi per day.

I don't think Survivor (and most programming of the "Reality" genre) is going to age well. It is a competition and the results are well known.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was just hoping crossing Jordan and the good wife would end up on gettv but nevermind. We'll all end up with it on DTV America if our local big network owners dont launch it. For Sure our MeTV affiliate owner won't for sure. Chicago is supposed to have decades on WCIU 26 on Sept. 3rd. As for Decades I caught it in New Orleans keep it I want Impressed

WVIA moving frequencies on 7/15/19 at 10:00am

Article: Charter doubtful about the future of ATSC 3.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts