Such a thing as stand alone DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlalclk

Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Excuse my rather simple questions. I am new to the whole dish network system. So I currently have a pansat receiver without dvr. I want to have dvr capabilities but not have to change my receiver. Is there any way to connect a dvr unit without changing this receiver? If possible, suggestions on which unit would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Well, if you are talking about Free To Air reception, this is quite possibly in the wrong forum.
Still - for FTA, if you do not want to buy a new receiver, then I would suggest one of the many DVD recorders out there. You can get one for $50 - $100 and it will record (usually) at least six hours per disc in reasonable quality. Just connect it to your FTA Pansat receiver with the best quality connection available (likely S-Video).

Alternatively, if you are interested in a DVR that will work with Dish Network receivers, yet without having to actually get a DISH branded DVR, you might look into one of the new stand alone TiVo units that is retailing for around $300. It requires a bit more manual setup, and may have occasional scheduling glitches, but then you can keep your DVR and all its recorded content, even if you change providers to DirecTV or cable.

Thanks for the help jegrant! How exactly does the DVD recorder work? will I be able to select the programing that I would like recorded and it will automatically record the show when it is time? Or will it require me to manually set it up and record?

There are "stand alone" pvr's out there however I really don't think the EPG's they have would allow that much in the way of programming.

I have a RCA DRS7000. It works OK. The good thing about it is it has a fair amount of inputs. The tuner is a regular basic cable one but you can record nearly anything via the inputs (I think this was made pre drm)

Walmart has one w/ a dvd but this looks odd
ilo DVD Recorder +R/RW With 80 GB Hard Drive DVR, DVDRH04 - Wal-Mart

"Online only" "not sold online" ?!?

Actually if you search "DVD recorder" and see what has a hard drive that should be good.

Manual recordings can be a pain but I've done them many times. Infact I used it to buypass the tuner to get digital cable stations on them. Keep in mind though that it hasn't gotten to a hdtv quality as of yet.

Thanks for the help jegrant! How exactly does the DVD recorder work? will I be able to select the programing that I would like recorded and it will automatically record the show when it is time? Or will it require me to manually set it up and record?

Theres a DVD Recorder at Circuit City for less than $100 (pye), I recommend getting the extended warranty If your going to use it everyday like me. Just think of it like a VCR because it works just like a VCR. I use mine to record OTA and FTA on g10r.
rdel

Be sure to use /RW disk for daily recording, I used the same disk for a year until I scratched it.

I've got 3 hard drives/DVD recorders. work really well. Sadly Radio Shack doesnt make them anymore :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts