Sudden loss of signal lately

bleech

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Waukesha, WI
I live in the Milwaukee market and have stacked antennas on my roof so I can also receive Madison stations. Most of the time this set up works very well. I installed the same setup at my mother's house, which is about a mile to the east of me. Generally, we get the same signal strength. Here is our rabbit ears report: RabbitEars.Info

Over the last few weeks, we have been suddenly losing signal on a variety of channels, usually in the morning for a few hours before and after sunrise. By 11AM, the signals all come back. On the rabbit ears chart, these are UHF channels from the Milwaukee market that have a "good signal" and have a RF frequency 27-31. VHF stations are never affected. Also, I have yet to notice any Madison stations be affected during these events.

This does not happen every day, and I have yet to find any rhyme or reason to this phenomenon. It also occasionally happens at night after sunset, but returns in the 1-3AM time frame.

My theory is that this has to do with the repack, with so many signals on a smaller amount of spectrum it causes interference when atmospheric skipping events occur.

My other theory is that my stacked antenna setup could be exasperating the problem, as it never happened prior to setting up the 2nd (stacked) antenna.

Any ideas?

bleech It's Tropospheric propagation going on right now due to the heat. That whole area is getting especially hit. If you do rescans at the same time as losing local-ish channels, you'll likely pick up other stations hundreds of miles away for a period of time. https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

This has been going on as long as tv and radio has been out there.

Reactions: TRG
Thanks, I thought that had something to do with it. The puzzling thing is that we have been OTA-only for 40+ years and never experienced anything this bad. Does the repack have anything to do with the increased impact of the events?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)