Super Joey wiring

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
Does the new SJ have to plug in to a 'Host' port or a 'Client' port on a Node?

Can a SJ share a line from a 'Host' port on a Duo Node with an old Joey (using a tap)?

Thanks!
Rick

Client, with the integrator and one line directly and grounded from the lnb or DPP switch.
The Super Joey pulls 2 tuners directly from the sat, feeds and gets fed to and from the Hopper via MOCA.

Does the new SJ have to plug in to a 'Host' port or a 'Client' port on a Node?
As foghorn said, SJ officially connects to the integrator, that in turn connects one line each to a client port and the Dish.

Can a SJ share a line from a 'Host' port on a Duo Node with an old Joey (using a tap)?
Dish doesn't want techs using duo nodes, probably because of the expense, but they would probably have to go out of their way to keep it from working. The only published specs we've seen use the integrator, but Khemka said at CES a duo port host port will work too.

No reason I can think of a tap couldn't be used off a duo host port or even the SJ side of an integrator, but it's not likely be an approved config. Dish has published limits on the number of splitters/taps/etc that can be between any two devices and the nodes.

It's doubtful a tech would install in such a manor, but if self installing you could try. The specs are conservative to insure signal quality. Like many specs, they can probably be exceeded and still be OK, but do so carefully and have a fall back plan to be within spec.

Other than business rules, is there a technical reason you can't have two HWS and a Super Joey in one install. I know you will need a forth cable from the dish, or a switch.

The idea here as a Tech is to find the easiest and working way possible to make this work. As I've posted in many other threads the requirements for more than 2 cables is just full of lame and needs to be addressed by someone aside from a bunch of blind monkeys that work for Dish. It is horrible for a customer to have so many cables coming off a dish down the side of their home if its mounted high and horrible for a tech to run them such as those that have a pole in the yard and only two lines run which should have been more than enough future proof then.

Other than business rules, is there a technical reason you can't have two HWS and a Super Joey in one install. I know you will need a forth cable from the dish, or a switch.

You can't run 4 cables from the Dish 1k2 or 1k4 they only have 3 outputs, you could do it from a 44 switch but that would be pointless. As said, they should figure out a way to slim down the amount of cables needed from the Dish in the first place.

Who knows. Just like they said linking nodes together wouldn't work. The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't need a Super Joey. So someone else will have to let us know if it's possible.

Creating a private internal ethernet/wlan hopper/joey lan would probably allow 2 Hoppers/multiple joey/superjoey integration, but that would a nightmare for programmers and installers, and again now we are going off topic as the super joey is for CUSTOMERS WITH 1 HOPPER

Who knows. Just like they said linking nodes together wouldn't work. The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't need a Super Joey. So someone else will have to let us know if it's possible.

WOW, I was counting on you to figure it out! Do you think if a DPP44 switch cascade with another DPP44 switch would work?

What if all Hoppers and Super Joey connected direct to the router?

In theory, that would do it.

WOW, I was counting on you to figure it out! Do you think if a DPP44 switch cascade with another DPP44 switch would work?

In theory, yes. I dunno, 12 SAT tuners and 4 OTA tuners is really more than enough for our needs. The geek in me wants to get the Super Joey, but I'm not sure I want to hassle with it and hope it will work like I did with the 3+ Hoppers.

What if all Hoppers and Super Joey connected direct to the router?
Theoretically that might free up enough, but Dish could never officially sanction something like that. They are only going to support what moca and standard cabling will accomodate.

My guess is moca could handle two hoppers + SJ most of the time, but there would be edge cases that will break it.

Moca's spec is for 175mbps under ideal circumstances. My guess Dish engineers are (responsibly) designing for half or less of that max.

For some perspective consider the following, admittedly unlikely scenario (assuming a sat stream is 10mpbs and OTA is 20mbps):
20 mbps - 2 SJ Tuner Streams
80 mbps - 4 Joey's playing OTA streams
40 mbps - Hopper 1 playing TWO (remember we have PIP) OTA recordings from Hopper 2
40 mbps - Hopper 2 playing TWO OTA recordings from Hopper 1
10 mbps - Dish on Demand download on Hopper 1
10 mbps - Dish on Demand download on Hopper 2
200 mbps Total

And naturally, if they allow an SJ with two Hoppers, folks will then want an SJ for each Hopper.

In theory, that would do it.

In theory, yes. I dunno, 12 SAT tuners and 4 OTA tuners is really more than enough for our needs. The geek in me wants to get the Super Joey, but I'm not sure I want to hassle with it and hope it will work like I did with the 3+ Hoppers.

OK

Theoretically that might free up enough, but Dish could never officially sanction something like that. They are only going to support what moca and standard cabling will accomodate.

My guess is moca could handle two hoppers + SJ most of the time, but there would be edge cases that will break it.

Moca's spec is for 175mbps under ideal circumstances. My guess Dish engineers are (responsibly) designing for half or less of that max.

For some perspective consider the following, admittedly unlikely scenario (assuming a sat stream is 10mpbs and OTA is 20mbps):
20 mbps - 2 SJ Tuner Streams
80 mbps - 4 Joey's playing OTA streams
40 mbps - Hopper 1 playing TWO (remember we have PIP) OTA recordings from Hopper 2
40 mbps - Hopper 2 playing TWO OTA recordings from Hopper 1
10 mbps - Dish on Demand download on Hopper 1
10 mbps - Dish on Demand download on Hopper 2
200 mbps Total

And naturally, if they allow an SJ with two Hoppers, folks will then want an SJ for each Hopper.
Thanks JM42

On the dns forums (for Dish techs/employees) they stated that the power supply for a SJ isn't enough for the second side of a duo node. And thus would not work.

I believe that they also stated that you can hook the integrator into the client side of a tap (but would require the tap/integrator to be grounded/bonded together), but you still need the line from lnbf to integrator.

Would this network work in an RV where you may have to switch from a rooftop automatic 1000 dish to a portable dish (typically a 1000.2 or 1000.4)?
http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/555_dish_twotvs_hopper_superjoey.pdf

Terminating the client part of the solo node is an error based on reviewing previously released wiring diagrams for home based systems. You need the client part of the node to run into the integrator along with the 3rd line from the LNB. The position of the integrator is all wrong,it should be 2 lines running in(from client part of node & 3rd line of LNB) & one line running out to the Super Joey. I'm very far from an expert here,but from what I've read on this site AND from looking at the diagrams already released,this is crazy.

After thinking about this,is the diagram that way because there wouldn't be a MoCA set up in an RV?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts