Super vs reg Joey performance

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I am getting a new HWS/SJ/J instal saturday. I will have the hopper in my living room where most TV is watched. The others will go in our main and guest bedroom. Looking at things from a standpoint of how long does it take to start fast forwarding after hitting the button or how fast does a channel change. Is There any reason to believe the SuperJoey would be of any significance better than the plain Joey. I want to wall mount the one in the main bedroom and I can not find a superjoey wall mount

Little real life experience is known on SJ due to it only becoming available today. Supposed to be larger than Joey and not recommended for mounting behind TV.

Obviously I have no idea about the SJ, but my Joeys respond fine without any delay what so ever. I think mounting the regular Joey in your bedroom would be fine.

Presumably the Super Joey does not have any local storage. Therefore, if you are watching tuner from the Super Joey, on the Super Joey, it has to be transferred to the Hopper (MoCA) for buffering, and back for viewing (MoCA again).

I would be interested in what the performance is like. It might be a bit tricky to force the SJ to use the local tuner. Perhaps setup recordings on the hopper so that it is forced to use a local tuner. However, that might be harder than it sounds.

Menus are quicker. Skip ahead and back are slightly faster than the regular Joey too. Not as good as watching off the Hopper itself, but that's to be expected.

Super Joey's are to be installed laying flat like a Hopper. Not mounted or verticle.
Does Dish give a reason ? I presume something related to heat dissipation.... I'll bet it can stand up like the regular Joey, but then people will take that further and want to stand it "up" behind a wall-mounted TV, which I can understand why they don't want that.

Its way too tall to stand up, if it falls, it will most likely damage the components, including the power supply inside. The reg joey is not as tall, so its more stable upright and has an external power supply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts