Tailgater Vrs Carry out

daveh505@comcast.net

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 18, 2008
Las Cruces NM
Ihave a winegard 1518 Carryout permantly mounted on a lader mount and braced in half a dozen places with homemade struts. It has recently malfuntioned in that it starts up and acts like it finds all the satellites but when the signal aquistioning process finally times out the message on the screen is : COMPLETE SIGNAL LOSS. I have spoken with several Winegard techs at several camping worlds and they all say there is somthing wrong with the modual that aquires and locks on to the satellites during the startup process. My unit is out of warranty so Ill be paying for repairs. I have been told by a very reliable scource (dish tech that came over to reaim my dish after vandalizim) that the tailgater is a much better unit because it is powered by the reciever thru the cable. Is the tailgater robust enough to be mounted on my ladder mount? are there any little GOT'S YOUS? If this is a good replacement I will buy it thru the dish tech. Any advise would be usable.

You can only use the 211 with the tailgater and don't know how well it will hold up on the ladder. I would put mine on the roof and worked well. The do make a ladder mount for it, but I personnally wouldn't leave it up there while moving. One nice thing is the tailgater is cheaper. Only can use for one receiver too, where I believe the carryout can have two (But can't remember anymore). I did like that the 211 powered it, and you didn't need the 12 volt to 110 converter, or seperate power cord.

Just picked up a tailgater (delivered today) and do not plan on mounting it to the RV just yet. The setup out of the box was very easy. The 211k powers the tailgater via the single coax without the need for any other power running to it. Only have plans to run a single TV in the RV with it - so it was a perfect choice.

Is the VQ 2500 By dish the Same as VQube 1000 by king controls??

I see the tailgater and the Vqube compared as the same in many discussions. Is the VQ 2500 By dish the Same as VQube 1000 by king controls??
What is the truth.
Does anyone have the VQ 2500 (tailgater) By dish permanantly mounted to their rv ladder? If so how is it holding up?

You can only use the 211 with the tailgater and don't know how well it will hold up on the ladder. I would put mine on the roof and worked well. The do make a ladder mount for it, but I personnally wouldn't leave it up there while moving. One nice thing is the tailgater is cheaper. Only can use for one receiver too, where I believe the carryout can have two (But can't remember anymore). I did like that the 211 powered it, and you didn't need the 12 volt to 110 converter, or seperate power cord.
I guess its going to take a DIRT member to answer my question or somone with electronic experience with both units.What advantages does the tailgater Vq2500 have over the carryout Winegard 1518 besides being powered by the input cable? Which is more robust at finding and locking on to the correct satellites?

There is less logic in the Tailgater as the VIP211 provides the processing power. That is why the Tailgater is locked to only the 211. The other versions is fully self contained and can be attached to any receiver.

For me, I would prefer the dome manufacturer to deliver all the positioning logic and not to be subject to software running is someone else's box who is constantly changing the box software.

There is less logic in the Tailgater as the VIP211 provides the processing power. That is why the Tailgater is locked to only the 211. The other versions is fully self contained and can be attached to any receiver.

For me, I would prefer the dome manufacturer to deliver all the positioning logic and not to be subject to software running is someone else's box who is constantly changing the box software.

You make a valid point. I just want winegard to make my purchase good because of the high initail cost. The GM1518 should have lasted a lot longer thanit did. (less than 18 months)

Not only the Carryout will work with any receiver, it will work with DirecTV with the click of an internal switch. I have the Carryout, but would n purchase a Tailgater, if I had to do it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)