Tallest Dish on a Pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
What is the tallest pole anyone has used to install a Ku or C dish? I've seen a Dish network on a pole about 10 feet in the air. And I've seen a few C bands about that high anyone see one mounted higher?

Does up against a house count? This one is quite a bit more than 10', and I know of another similar installation. Lots of hills around these parts.

Attachments

• bud2.jpg
    bud2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 402
PKII, back in the C-band era, I heard that they used to call the satellite dish the state flower of West Virginia. Do you still see many BUDs in your part of the state?

PKII, back in the C-band era, I heard that they used to call the satellite dish the state flower of West Virginia. Do you still see many BUDs in your part of the state?

Yeah it's still the state flower. ;)

Actually, I don't see many new installs of BUDs I've had one since the early 80's. The new state flowers are Dish Network and Directv.

Does up against a house count? This one is quite a bit more than 10', and I know of another similar installation. Lots of hills around these parts.

That counts. The house helps support it I see. Yeah hills here too but I don't think I could get one up about 100 feet without it being a hazard.

I came across a 300 dish once about 5 years ago that was mounted at the top of a 40ft antenna tower. I have no idea why. It was on the south side of the house and it was all farm fields for miles with no trees. Must have been installed my an old TV antenna installer. The higher the antenna the better the signal, right?

I seen this the other day. Took the pic with my phone, not the best but you can see it. It is 2 blocks away on a pole, not a roof. Going to have a better look at this one!

Attachments

• dish-pole.jpg
    dish-pole.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 412
Back in the hey day of C-band I did several installs like the pictured one above. I don't remember how tall the poles were but they were above the roof of single story houses. Can't remember if I did any two story ones or not that was long time ago.

I'm doing a tall pole now for my 10 footer. 21' long with 6' in the ground.
rebar 008.JPGrebar 005.JPG

Hope to pour concrete tommorrow

Last edited:
I'm doing a tall pole now for my 10 footer. 21' long with 6' in the ground.
View attachment 68131View attachment 68132

Impressive! You even have the PVC going directly into the house. I can not tell if the other end goes into the pole or up on the opposite side of the pole. If into the pole, pull a "pull string" before you pour or does that PVC continue up the center of the pipe?.

There is a 6 foot dish about 10 blocks away thats up close to 30ft high bracketed to a tall 2 story house

Impressive! You even have the PVC going directly into the house. I can not tell if the other end goes into the pole or up on the opposite side of the pole. If into the pole, pull a "pull string" before you pour or does that PVC continue up the center of the pipe?.
The PVC (Sch 40 Non-metallic rigid conduit 1" ID) runs right thru out the top of the pole. I'll have 5 coax and a motor control cable in this conduit. The AJAK mount doesn't cover the top of the pole so I can do this. The cableing on this dish will be hidden :)

Attachments

• PoleCrazy 053.JPG
    PoleCrazy 053.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I have a 12' dish that was on a twenty foot pole in the middle of a lawn, of course it was braced with guy-wires. I cut the pole ground level, don't know how deep in concrete it went. I've got to get that dish set-up.

The top of the free-standing cedar post at the bottom of our property is 14' above ground, the bottom 5' below. The local power company was upgrading in the area so the contractors gave me the post and stuck it in the ground for $40.
Dish.jpg

Some years back, Linuxman posted pix of a Birdview about 20' in the air in a trailer park.
They use a six inch diameter tube, so freestanding 20' was not really a problem.
I'll look for it later.

I have a 40' telephone pole planted in my back yard.
It's about 8' in the ground.
So far, no dishes on it, but I did have plans at one time! ;)

Here are other amusing pictures I've seen over the years (some from SatGuys)

Attachments

• UtilityPoleDISH.jpg
    UtilityPoleDISH.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 306
  • bpole.jpg
    bpole.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 282
  • apart5.jpg
    apart5.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 279
  • DishSelfIinstallTrailer_JPG.jpg
    DishSelfIinstallTrailer_JPG.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 291
  • WildBlue_2.jpg
    WildBlue_2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 282
  • skyscraperdish.jpg
    skyscraperdish.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 285
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Success

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)