TAN TV and DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrhand

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Vancouver, WA
I'm thinking about ordering a TAN TV setup, and I was hoping anyone here with experience with them could answer a few questions:

Do they have any receivers with DVR?

If not, does TIVO work with their receivers?

If TIVO doesn't work, what kind of options would I have for getting DVR functionality with TAN?

Thanks for any info out there...

Tan TV doesn't currently offer PVR receivers, but you could purchase the Viaccess subscription card annually and use a compatible receiver of your choice. Many different brands and models are available, but confirm with the seller that the receiver is compatible prior to purchase. An example of a PVR capable receiver is the Visionsat IP200 with the built-in Viaccess card reader and USB 2.0 connection for external hard drive up to 500GB.

I'm glad somebody came and made a useful answer. I was tempted to mention that I don't have any problem with a DVR attached to my Black TV, don't see why a Tan TV would be any different. :D
Then I thought better of it and decided not to.
Every statement in my post is a lie.

Yea, I'm with Pepper.
Mine is Black, too.
Of course, it was available in Ivory, but the Black was on sale. :D

I use a stand-alone DVD recorder with mine, so a TiVo should be fine.
The DVD was on sale at Radio Shack a couple of weeks ago for $50.
Then I found a 30% off coupon, and it wound up going home with me for $35

All kidding aside, could someone give a link to whatever the TAN TV service is?
I know Globecast pay TV service. It's okay if you need what they got, I'm sure.
After the major four, it's the only pay TV I know of in North America.
Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell Express Vu, Star Choice... oh, and 4DTV (pay C-band), so five I guess.
Oh, and having used a good PVR on Dish Network, nothing less holds a candle. :)

TAN sounds Korean or Chinese, but what do I know? :cool:
Any education would be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies. I sent an email to TAN directly asking the same questions, and they told me that they don't offer any DVR receivers, but that as long as I purchased a DVR receiver with Viaccess capability, that I could use it to get their channels.

So now I need to find a Viaccess-capable receiver with DVR. Any suggestions?

For anole, TAN TV is a Korean satellite service based out of LA:

TanTV

Link won't be much help unless you can read Korean, but it looks like Home2US also does distribution for TAN, so you can see what they offer in English here:

Home2US

Does anyone out there actually have TAN and could offer some insight into their service (reliability, signal, customer service, etc.)?

Also, does TAN have an EPG? For some reason I think I read somewhere that they don't, and I want to make sure. The service is for my Korean wife, and if there's no EPG and she has to set the DVR timers manually, it's a lost cause. She can handle the E* 622 DVR interface as it's pretty simple, so I'm afraid if she has to go to setting manual timers for every Korean soap opera she wants to watch, I'm going to end up with a lot of work.

Last edited:
SatAV said his Visionsat IP200 PVR can take the access card and receive the service.
Here's a link to a motorized system.
I'm sure he has it with fixed dish, or without dish, if you like.

You might see about looking through the manual concerning those timers.
If you can set them to repeat daily or weekly, set them up for your wife, and you're done! :eureka

Is the the same TAN TV that was on IA5 a while back that was selling oriental rugs and sending pirated movies on to fta satellite that hasn't been seen since anywhere on that bird?

Is the the same TAN TV that was on IA5 a while back that was selling oriental rugs and sending pirated movies on to fta satellite that hasn't been seen since anywhere on that bird?

No, that was The Auction Network.

In regards to an EPG, it doesn't look like they have one (when I put the receiver on one of the scrambled channels) but on their FTA channel Tan TV 6 there is a two hour program guide for all their channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)