TBS HD Finally Showing HD Content

Looks like TBS is finally starting to fill their HD library. Notice TNT HD is now mostly HD, hopefully TBS will soon be the same. I also notice that TBS's audio is pretty good as well. I get a clear 5.1 surround separation.

Even some of their commercials are now 16:9 instead of stretched 4:3

Nice Improvement

After noticing and reading a few posts here last night, I looked at TBS several times over the last 24 hours.

True HD or not and from what I have seen, it is, it is a very nice improvement on my 57" HDTV. I have not bothered with this channel in the past but now I will watch. It looks good!

I am also hearing (and seeing on my receivers' indicator) surround sound as well. They may have ben doing that before but I just got a new Yamaha RX-V863 receiver yesterday. Everything is sounding great today! lol

I guess this is our new HD channel.

TBS-HD might win the Dish HD Channel of the Month of April 2008 Club Award. It's hard to deceide now between that and MonstersHD with their new schedule. Very nice. I am now content for about a few more days. :rolleyes:

The question is, why did it take so long to show hd???

We gripe and bitch (yes, I am one of the biggest bitchers on this stretch stuff) but has anyone or a network come out and said why the hell networks do this??

Why would they stretch a already hd program?? Does it cost more money to show it that way??

Do they not have the technology to show hd when they want to.

We would like some answers on that. I just hope they are not doing this so they can CALL it hd.

The email responses I always got from Turner were that they conducted some kind of survey of viewers and their research showed that viewers preferred the stretched out SD ... sounds like Bullsh!t of course, or they surveyed idiots.

There is something wrong with the 5.1 sound however. Normal speaking voices shouldn't be coming out of the rear speakers. They are probably using a 2.0 sound and sending it through all the speakers. I've noticed this with all the new HD content on TBS so far.

The email responses I always got from Turner were that they conducted some kind of survey of viewers and their research showed that viewers preferred the stretched out SD ... sounds like Bullsh!t of course, or they surveyed idiots.

I actually know some folks that think like this, and it boggles the mind. My brother and his daughter love "stretched" mode...they'll even leave HD channels stretched. Not long after they got their HDTV, I was over at their house and his daughter was watching American Idol on the SD channel stretched, instead of the HD channel. I asked her why she wasnt watching the HD version, and changed the channel to the HD version. She got mad because she preferred watching the "widescreen" version (the SD stretched).

The Prince And Me was actually HD! WOW! Looked good as well, Wedding Planner HD also, holy crap it IS like getting a new HD channel!

There is something wrong with the 5.1 sound however. Normal speaking voices shouldn't be coming out of the rear speakers. They are probably using a 2.0 sound and sending it through all the speakers. I've noticed this with all the new HD content on TBS so far.

I noticed that also, sounds like Dolby Pro-Logic to me. I really can't stand it but, at least I can fix the sound on my receiver.

Do they broadcast the stretch-o-vision shows with it also? I don't watch these so I'm not sure.

The Prince and Me?? The Wedding Planner???? Harold and Kumar?????? You guys are getting all excited about TBS's TERRIBLE broadcasting lineup, because they've finally started showing some programing in HD??? I saw about 10 minutes of Almost Famous the other day, it was in HD, at least that was a decent movie, but I guess I'm not one of the people who can just watch anything because its HD.

Yes, their available programming isn't that great, but at least they have started doing something right with what they do have.

Who wastes their time responding to surveys, except idiots? Thus, results are always biased towards the thought processes of imbeciles.

They need to hire one person, ONE person, that is intelligent (hire them off these forums!) and let them just tell people how its going to be. We need a "Brave New (HD) World" so we can establish an HD ruling class to tell the Epsilons and the Gammas how things are going to be and tell them that they are going to like it. Brainwash them in their sleep for all I care.

"I love orignal aspect ratio. I hate stretch-o-vision. I love original aspect ratio. I hate stretch-o-vision..."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)