Tech Chat Recap 11-10-08

Will there be a monthly fee for the 211 DVRs?

If I understand correctly, you can lease up to 4 (or even 5) 211s and turn them into DVRs without paying any monthly DVR fee?

It seemed to me that Mark didn't say one way or the other if there would be an ongoing DVR fee associated with the use of the EHD on a 211. He made it clear that there would be a one-time fee to activate the feature. He didn't say anything else and no one asked him to clarify, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a $5.98 monthly fee for DVR use on the 211.

If you already have a 211 or 211k this is good news. If you do not already have one, it is still cheaper (and better) to lease a 612 or 722.

...If you already have a 211 or 211k this is good news. If you do not already have one, it is still cheaper (and better) to lease a 612 or 722.

For those who do not have HD boxes yet and thinking about upgrading to HD, now there is another DVR option. Since 211 is considered one tuner, in theory one can lease up to 4 or 5 of them (I could be wrong). With 722s you are limited to leasing only two.

If the 211s will have no monthly DVR fees, it may be a better option for a lot of folks.

I missed it because I had both of my tuners working. I had to watch Prison Break and record Heroes. I won't mess with the OTA tuner if you read my post history you will understand why. I knew that this forum would have the recap anyway.

Caught the 1st replay, but still missed the 1st 10 minutes and the DVR Conversion stuff, darn it!

Agree with Scott. This was a really full Tech Chat.

Stuff I saw which nobody mentioned... Yes, that was the DTVpal DVR (aka TR-50) being demo'd. You can preorder later this month, and it will set you back $299 minus a $50 rebate.

Missed the chat - but did they mention anything about availability of the Blackberry client for Sling? I see a screenshot of BB/Sling player...Thanks

Will there be a monthly fee for the 211 DVRs?

If I understand correctly, you can lease up to 4 (or even 5) 211s and turn them into DVRs without paying any monthly DVR fee?

Yeah, this is my question. People upgrading might be better off getting a 211 or 222 instead of a regular DVR.

Missed the chat - but did they mention anything about availability of the Blackberry client for Sling? I see a screenshot of BB/Sling player...Thanks

Same here I about to get the Storm this week and just noticed that it doesn't have a Sling player, and that the beta they have been testing was the older OS, the Storm has a total different OS. I'll still get it but I'll tether it to the laptop which is allowed by Verizon.

Yeah, this is my question. People upgrading might be better off getting a 211 or 222 instead of a regular DVR.
A monthly fee to convert the 211 into a DVR is a good question. He didn't say one way or the other.

But considering Dish's current quarterly report I can't see them turning away any source of potential revenue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)