The collapse of Blackberry

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Great article from the Globe And Mail about the internal mess at BB and how they failed to adapt to the changing marketplace. Like I said on numerous occasions, the story of BB/RIM will be written in business textbooks for years about how NOT to do things from an internal and external level. BB has said that they feel they are just in a cycle, similar to what companies like Intel, Apple, and IBM went through and then came out better afterwards. I'm not sure I share in their optimism.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-inside-story-of-why-blackberry-is-failing/article14563602/?page=all
?

Blackberry is going to need cash on hand if they have any hopes of getting through this. If they don't have a few years of operating costs on hand I don't see them with any chance of survival.

If I signed-on to work with Blackberry, would they give me a RIM job?
Rimshot.gif

It would also help if they could keep their phones in stores, and not have companies like T-Mobile taking them off shelves. It's really sad to see how UNDESIRABLE BB has become. Hell my sister used to be an avid BB user on T-Mobile and I think she finally caved and got an iPhone (I assumed she did since now her Facebook photos are under the "iOS Photos" folder and I doubt she's running around using her iPad to photograph)

My company is still using Crapberrys. I hate carrying around this thing. Not sure what they planning next. iPhones would be nice, but I suspect lower cost smart phones.

I daresay today's impression of any remaining BlackBerry users is that they are outdated and out of touch.

my blackberry is now my address notebook. I went back to a flip phone because I don't need the internet on there and it was too expensive. saved 50 by going back to the flip phone with the family plan with my wife. charlie

My company is still using Crapberrys. I hate carrying around this thing. Not sure what they planning next. iPhones would be nice, but I suspect lower cost smart phones.
At my last job they gave me a BB, but they were starting to phase in a plan where you could bring an iPhone or Android and you use some super secure email app that basically did the same thing as the BB did (It was an investment management company so data security was paramount.) If you did a BYOD I believe they would pay for at least part of your phone bill. I didn't end up doing it though because (understandably) the app wouldn't work if you had a rooted/ROMed or jailbroken device, and I wasn't willing to give that up, not to mention I was only at that position for about 3 months, which was about 3 months more than I wanted to be there.

At my last job they gave me a BB, but they were starting to phase in a plan where you could bring an iPhone or Android and you use some super secure email app that basically did the same thing as the BB did (It was an investment management company so data security was paramount.) If you did a BYOD I believe they would pay for at least part of your phone bill. I didn't end up doing it though because (understandably) the app wouldn't work if you had a rooted/ROMed or jailbroken device, and I wasn't willing to give that up, not to mention I was only at that position for about 3 months, which was about 3 months more than I wanted to be there.

The problem with our BYOD policy is they take too much control of your phone and, even if you can get past this obstacle, there is no way in hell I am filing an expense report each and every month to buy additional minutes- how silly. Until then, I'll continue to use the company BB.

The problem with our BYOD policy is they take too much control of your phone and, even if you can get past this obstacle, there is no way in hell I am filing an expense report each and every month to buy additional minutes- how silly. Until then, I'll continue to use the company BB.

That not usually how BYOD policy work. Usually they will pay you a set amount per month like $80 for you to use anyway you want. And they will pay you a set amount, like $200, if you want to upgrade your device every 2 years.

My company uses BB too, and all the managers want to switch to iPhones. There is even a FAQ on the telecommunication page saying that they are currently evaluating iPhones. I think it is just a matter of time now.

That not usually how BYOD policy work. Usually they will pay you a set amount per month like $80 for you to use anyway you want. And they will pay you a set amount, like $200, if you want to upgrade your device every 2 years.

My company uses BB too, and all the managers want to switch to iPhones. There is even a FAQ on the telecommunication page saying that they are currently evaluating iPhones. I think it is just a matter of time now.

But a weak BYOD policy is how companies get into trouble with security and privacy breaches and wind-up paying millions in litigation and related expenses.

But a weak BYOD policy is how companies get into trouble with security and privacy breaches and wind-up paying millions in litigation and related expenses.
Exactly. My company is also looking into a BYOD policy. No sure I want to mix personal and work on a single device. I don't carry a personal device now. Just the crapberry. All I really do is phone and text. I sometimes carry around my ipod touch and use free wifi, if I do need access.

My brother had that. I don't think it has access to company email or anything. They are just paying for a cell number so they could reach him off hours anywhere. He was working customer service at the time. Now he is in a different company and they did provide him with an iPhone and pay for the plan, but they let him transfer his old cell phone personal number over. And he has unlimited data + wifi tethering. So when he is out on the weekend, he let it tethering to 5 or 6 devices, iPads, Kindle Fire, iPods....

I call my work related blackberry the "corporate leash". I carry it around with me during business hours but I usually turn it off when I get home. Am not a phone guy, and if someone wants to reach me, call me at home and leave a message... if it wasnt for the free work phone, I wouldnt have one by choice.

I do have a few "family" pictures on it (nothing offensive) and the secure corporate email can;'t be installed on any other phone.

I hate the thing. A lot of bugs and it freezes alot.

12 digit password is a pain... enter it wrong 5 times and the phone self wipes (happened once at a bar at 1am).

Cheers, K

I have to change the password once every 60 days.... I was so tanked I was using a previous password. It took 2 days to get the phone up and running again.

LOL if my work made me carry a cell phone with 12 digit password.. this is exactly what I would do. Every week it would be down for 2 days to get the phone back up running. ;)

There have been many studies suggesting changing passwords too often is worse than not changing at all. People will write down their password and in an accessible place if it changes too often. And yes, the more IT has to deal people locked out of their phone. Our Town finally dropped completely insisting on password changes for those reasons.

BB missed what people want from their smartphones, they thought the corporate world was different. It is for their needs, but not for their wants.

Verizon LTE signal measured at 80Mbps in New York City

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts