The death of HD-DVD is not Blu-Ray but someone in their own backyard!!

JonUrban -- you could be right but I hope you are wrong. I really like BluRay and I have liked what I have seen of HD-DVD and I hope one or the other format survives and thrives. My preferance is BluRay but if HD-DVD wins then I will plunk my money down on a HD-DVD standalone and enjoy. Why buya 1080p HDTV and have nothing to show on it but low bit rate and low rez product?

I hope I'm wrong as well.........:up

I just don't think JSP is quite ready to download movies off the internet to his TV. He views it as too complicated. How many people today even order PPV off their cable box? Is somebody going to go to JSP's house, hook up a box to 'net and TV, give him another remote and teach him? Written instructions? "Set TV to input 3, box to video out, aim keyboard at green light, go to website, scroll thru......"

Discs are easy, and understood today.

You guys are so funny. You'll be arguing these formats just like we did with SACD and DVD-Audio.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will become like LaserDisc. You, me, and the folks that read this forum will buy them, stand by them, talk about them, argue about them, and the rest of the world will just be downloading their HD movies, or using the "On Demand" feature to watch films.

There is nothing more to say......................................... :(

(except that the truth sucks)

Hmmmm . . . interesting. Bill HUnt @The Digital Bits was unusually pessimistic yesterday as well -

So what does all this mean? Well, each side has been able to claim small victories, but not much more. You know, the longer all this drags on, the more we're starting to believe that high-definition movies on disc are just going to remain an enthusiast niche format. We're a year into this format war and neither side appears willing to back down. Each side has their exclusive titles. Each side has their share of technical problems. For every price cut in Blu-ray Disc players, Toshiba seems to slash the price of their HD-DVD players to undercut it. . . . The sad thing is, if this thing drags on past the end of 2007, I think we're all going to lose. Retailers are going to be faced with the continued prospect of devoting valuable shelf space to three formats, and some will simply stop doing it. . . . . . And most consumers are still going to be faced with a confusing choice between two competing formats... and they'll decide to just stick with DVD. . . .. And sooner rather than later, the industry will move on to the Next Big Thing. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. But the early signs aren't looking good.

Not sure I agree, but something to mull over.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will become like LaserDisc. You, me, and the folks that read this forum will buy them, stand by them, talk about them, argue about them, and the rest of the world will just be downloading their HD movies, or using the "On Demand" feature to watch films.

I just can't get on this downloadable movie kick that everyone seems to want to push for a very simple reason. I just don't see 30 - 50 GB downloads being realistic or efficient in the near term until people have something like fiber running into their homes. Until that point the downloadable content will have to be compressed at similar levels to what is being broadcast right now. I don't know about you, but I think for casual viewing HD broadcasts are ok but they are nowhere near acceptable quality for purchase and permanent ownership. Watch something like "Lost" in HD and you will see rampant blockiness and compression artifacts in every jungle scene. If I am going to purchase a movie, I want it to be perfectly crisp - as close to lossless as possible and that requires an insane amount of data capacity. There is just no way downloads can compete with physical media for simplicity and capacity and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

On the other hand, what would the PS3 be without it's Blu-ray drive? Its the only thing that pushing sales for it. Even then, sales are already dropping significantly. The early adapters like you snapped them up as the only reasonably affordable way to play Blu-ray movies. That demand has been met, and its now trailing badly in 3rd place in a three man race.
Actuall the PS3 is 4th, and XBox 360 is 3rd in a 4 man race. Wii is winning, but at a close 2nd is the PS2, which XBox 360 has yet to beat.

A format will win, either this generation or next. Downloadables wont be the future, that tries to change people too much... but at the same time the market will always be there.

Many people actively rent and return movies at Blockbuster, but many many more people IMO (speculation) just purchase the movie they want to see. It is rarely even a price thing, and more of a freedom to do what you want with the content you've purchased. Put it away and watch it on a rainy day, collect them, loan them to friends... until the world is connected enough to allow for all of these habits via downloading, a phyiscal medium will be dominant. As long as BR and HDDVD show no clear leader, this race will be muddy and will be both failures historically because the next big - unified - thing came along and replaced the both of them.

As for myself, that Planet Earth set will probably get me to finally go HDDVD and pick up the add-on for the 360.

A format will win, either this generation or next. Downloadables wont be the future, that tries to change people too much... but at the same time the market will always be there.

Many people actively rent and return movies at Blockbuster, but many many more people IMO (speculation) just purchase the movie they want to see. It is rarely even a price thing, and more of a freedom to do what you want with the content you've purchased. Put it away and watch it on a rainy day, collect them, loan them to friends... until the world is connected enough to allow for all of these habits via downloading, a phyiscal medium will be dominant. As long as BR and HDDVD show no clear leader, this race will be muddy and will be both failures historically because the next big - unified - thing came along and replaced the both of them.

As for myself, that Planet Earth set will probably get me to finally go HDDVD and pick up the add-on for the 360.

I would love to see some numbers about this buy vs. rent for DVD....I know I dont buy DVD as I dont see the point. Not saying that I dont own a select few but by no means do I have nor do I want a library of DVD.

Downloading to me IS the best choice...but I do agree that he quality of DL HD content is not really HD quality BUT is better than SD DVD.

I only buy movies that I or my wife want to watch. We do not rent movies as I have had too many problems with scratches (supposedly both formats are supposed to take care of this problem) and I like it that I can go into my movie rack and pull out something that I and my wife really want to watch when we want to watch it.

I've rented very few DVDs. I got out of the habit back when we rented VHS. Problems, problems. Especially poor audio. The good audio seemed to be the first to go in a worn tape.

But I do rent a few discs. Might rent more, since I'd rather not buy and then want it again on a high def disc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)