The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

Same here... I don't change time zones often so no biggie for me...... 4S is a monster upgrade over my kludgy two year old 3G...... Apps that work now... what a concept.

Apple waited until they had fixes on the way to actually confirm the battery life problem reports: Apple confirms iOS 5 bugs causing battery drain, promises a fix 'in a few weeks' -- Engadget

i
OS 5.01 now in beta.

That has been the Apple way for years. NEVER admit to a problem until you have a fix. In the past though, they would just silently push out an update and not even explain what they were changing. The reality today is the blogosphere and tech sites and social media make it impossible to be as quiet.

I remember the ugly days of being an early adopter of the Windows iPod. Oy. Vey. Buggiest software on the planet, the device was in no way magical - and you'd go to the Apple Support forums for help, and all there would be was numerous complaints by folks suffering the same stuff. Then one day... with no sense of when there would be a fix. :)

Apple waited until they had fixes on the way to actually confirm the battery life problem reports: Apple confirms iOS 5 bugs causing battery drain, promises a fix 'in a few weeks' -- Engadget

i
OS 5.01 now in beta.
The fixes were probably pretty trivial once they determined what was happening. There's no reason to confirm a problem before you verify that it exists. And Apple has a much better track record of fixing bugs than Microsoft - I've waited upwards to a year waiting on them.

I installed the update early this afternoon, I was at about 95% at the time. I used the iPhone on a run, with the gps running constantly to power RunKeeper, and I was listening to audio from Audible, for 45 minutes. I am at 86% right now.

I have not re-enabled the check time zone option (don't need it), and still have email set to fetch, but as of now, I am pretty happy with battery, given how I just used it.

The fixes were probably pretty trivial once they determined what was happening. There's no reason to confirm a problem before you verify that it exists. And Apple has a much better track record of fixing bugs than Microsoft - I've waited upwards to a year waiting on them.

I think Apple has gotten better at it over time. They never really cared much about fixes to the early Windows ipods. Of course, from the biography of Jobs, and he disdain for even creating a windows-based ipod, I am not surprised. :)

A new 5.0.1 beta showed up in my settings as an upgrade. First time I ever had a badge with a number on the settings icon before,

Installing it now, they definitely are moving fast on this one.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It seems to be working. Yesterday I did notice a quick drop from 100% to about 93% (similar to what I have often seen on the iPad; the first 10 percent drops quickly); but when I plugged it in last night, I was at 66%. I didn't use it a lot, but I used it enough during the day, including listening to audio on it for 30 minutes.

I will say it again, I have never been happier with a phone than with this one. I was fighting with force close issues on my wife's DX yesterday when she installed a new app, and it struck me how different my iPhone experience -- I can't wait for her upgrade to come available to switch her to it. She is already using an iPad so the switch for her will be easy.

And who knows, by then there may be an iPhone 5, so I'll get that and she'll take the 4S. ;) :D (But seriously, not convinced that is even necessary; we can both live for a long time with this phone).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)