The True HD era has come to an end and the HD Lite era will continue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hall said:
I apologize for not reading all (5) pages, in case it's already been mentioned, but which cable companies are cheating cutomers with less-than-standard HD resolution ??

Do we know for sure that all at providing 1920x1080i or 1280x270p? The only unofficial report that I heard is that Comcast is the only one who does not downresize but no real test has been done to prove this either way.

Take this for what it's worth:

We (TWC) pass through all HD services (both satellite and broadcaster)
at the same bit rate and quality as we receive them. These signal are by
the nature of MPEG2 encoding and transport are already compressed. The
original content is MPEG2 encoded (the audio is AC3 encoded) by the
provider (broadcaster network, HBO, ESPN, and the like) before being
transmitted to us for retransmission to you.

This message is a year old at this point.... It's from my local TW's "Director of Engineering".

I think we are all Screwed...

According to this the ATSC.org website for satellite broadcasting: Source

Direct-to-Home Satellite Broadcast
ATSC Standard A/81: Direct-to- Home Satellite Broadcast

This document describes the emission system for ATSC Direct-to-Home (DTH) Satellite Broadcast System. This specification defines extensions to audio, video, transport, and PSIP subsystems as defined in ATSC Standards A/53B and A/65A. The emission system defined in this document includes carriage of data broadcasting as defined in ATSC Standard A/90 without requiring extensions. Furthermore, transmission and conditional access subsystems are not defined, allowing service providers to use existing subsystems

Current revision A/80. http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_81.pdf

Page 15 section 7.1

"While not required by this standard, there are certain television production standards, shown in Table 7.1, that define video formats that relate to compression formats specified by this standard.

Table 7.1 Standardized Video Input Formats

table71.jpg
http://www.satelliteguys.us/voom/december2005/table71.jpg

7.3.2 Compression Format Constraints

The allowed compression formats shall be as listed in Table 7.3, and for 25/50 Hz video Table 3 in ATSC A/63 [5].

table73.jpg

hall said:
I apologize for not reading all (5) pages, in case it's already been mentioned, but which cable companies are cheating cutomers with less-than-standard HD resolution ??
So far my cable company (Armstrong) is doing a good job with HD. They use 256 QAM and are putting only two HD channels on each RF channel so each HD channel has 19.4Mbps bandwidth. Of course, that could change as they add more HD.

To Dish Network credit, they do not claim full resolution 1920x1080i or 1280x720p. I could not find a reference on their site that claims whatever the provider passes unto them either. I do not knwo if it is the same with DirecTv.

Going back to those tables I posted, it looks like what they are doing is according to what the ATSC standard should be for compressing the Video signals of 1920x1080i. Good bye good old 1920x1080i...

This is Ridiculous

I, for one, am in a totally screwed position for 2 reasons

1. I am in an 18 month commitment with E* that I'm only 4 months into

2. There is no cable company in my area yet, well Alltel formerly provided sh!tty

cable but guess what they now have partnered with....... guess who???? If you guessed E* you would be correct.

Situations like this blow, I'm 50 miles from the nearest Atlanta tower so OTA is going to be an uphill battle I was hoping I wouldn't have to make....

My family has had E* since the beginning and E* has always told thier customers what they wanted to hear and did what E* wanted to do. Now part of me would like to believe that Charlie has some Super-Secret reasoning behind this, but we all know he doesn't.....It's just another way of E* saying "90% of our customers are retarded and know nothing about HD they'll never notice and the ones who do send them a nice FU email, letting them know we see your complaint but we could care less how you feel, just pay your F..ing bill and shut your mouth"...

I honestly believe they feel E* feels that way about it's customers sometimes!!

I'm almost at the point where I want to pay the cancellation fee and saying screw it I'll get my locals OTA and wait for cable. Dish Network has severely pissed me off!!!!

Everyone who feels half the frustration and let down that I do should not be sending emails but calling Charlie at his Big Huge Fancy house and asking him WTF??

E* is stupid and I somehow feel like so am I for thinking it would ever change
That's All I Have To Say About That!!

I have contacted Dish Network asking for an official statement on whats going on. As soon as I have something I will post it.

Sean Mota said:

Sean,

What are the values representing in the "Aspect ratio" column? Could they represent 16:9 (HD) and 4:3 (SD)?

If so, then notice how 1280x1080 shows only "3" in that column versus 1920x1080 showing "1,3". Could it be that 1280x1080 is the acceptable norm for a 4:3 broadcast instead of the full 16:9?

As a user, my expectations are that HD be broadcast in the full 16:9 aspect ratio...not the substandard 4:3 ratio. Especially if the original broadcast was filmed in 16:9 aspect ratio.

Last edited:
nickg420 said:
2. There is no cable company in my area yet, well Alltel formerly provided sh!tty
cable but guess what they now have partnered with....... guess who???? If you guessed E* you would be correct.
I feel your pain, because I too am serviced by AllHELL cable and live a few miles further away than you (Nicholson area). No OTA possible, so we are stuck.

Anyway, Alltel is suppose to be releasing HD at the end of this month (of course I was told end of summer in June). My neighbor subscribes to Alltel cable, and he said that new channel lineup cards are being issued this month because of the HD channels being added. Maybe there is hope for competition, but unfortuneately you are stuck for 14 more months with what E* is trying to pull.

Is E* trying to make room for HD LiL by squeezing Voom like this? Talked to a nice lady in the Executive Offices of Dish last night, but she was unable to tell me anything other than "Dish Network is working on trying to HD locals, but we have no timeframe of when it will be available."

The Big Wood said:
Sean,

What are the values representing in the "Aspect ratio" column? Could they represent 16:9 (HD) and 4:3 (SD)?

If so, then notice how 1280x1080 shows only "3" in that column versus 1920x1080 showing "1,3". Could it be that 1280x1080 is the acceptable norm for a 4:3 broadcast instead of the full 16:9?

As a user, my expectations are that HD be broadcast in the full 16:9 aspect ratio...not the substandard 4:3 ratio. Especially if the original broadcast was filmed in 16:9 aspect ratio.

1 = square samples
2= 4:3 displays
3= 16:9

Scott Greczkowski said:
Re upload it. When we moved to the new software we did not have the avatar size specified so it defaulted to 80 x 80 and squished many of the users avatars when it imported them.
OH MY GOSH!!!!
SatelliteGuys DOWN REZZ'ed our Avatars!!!
Spread the word!!
Start the email campaign!
We are as mad as hell and will not take it anymore!
;)

Thanks to all you tech-ies. Some of us only have our eyes to tell us things are right so when it comes to fighting for quality haviing hard numbers and all these great explanations is extremely vaulable.

This is the stuff we need when we demand as subs that Dish provide the best.

Thank you and keep it coming.:)

With regards to this topic, how come I don't see anybody else say that they'd rather have downrezzzed picture quality in exchange for more HD channels right away? I mean, I for one, would not since the rest of the Voom and ESPN 2 HD isn't worth the quality sacrifice but I'm surprised I haven't seen that side of the camp voiced yet.

Well, What do you know? A monolingual, Mono cultural person defending the big Ugly Corporal world. Too bad That I can not use Multi-National Company since, Dish-network only works north of El Rio Bravo. (1 Country) How many Latin countries for Direct TV? I know you can count!!!!

Again BLIND Management will KILL, DESTROY a company. Ask the investors of ENRON, MCI, HELL, ASK the Mexican firm BIMBO, or better yet ask the DORITOS CO. Employees. The lack of respect for customers brought the GIANT ATT to pieces and even after that, They could not even figure out what to do next. (selling the cell phone business)

Sorry management is the main reason that companies go belly up. Dish lost my Latino business and all my Latino friend s's business. The programing stinks. The worst part is that they do not know that there are over 20+ Latin countries besides Mexico. May be, some one needs to tell Dish Mono cultural Administration that little detail.

I think they are in the same page as our US secretary of STATE Mrs "ARROZ" when giving a speech in Miami, FL she said that she needed to go back to the Unites States. After the press pushed the issue she said" Well! you know what I mean" that is the same business philosophy that Dish management have. Oh well!! So sorry!! WE did not mean it. It just came out.

Just to give you a small example of great management. SOUTH WEST, and what is lousy management doing. (AA) opposing South WEST to bust out of the WRIGHT AMENDMENT. That is plain, Certified Bull S---T. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
"The worst part is that they do not know that there are over 20+ Latin countries besides Mexico."

I think they know. They have TV Colombia, Centroamerica TV, TV Chile, Canal 1 (Ecuador), TV Española, and the regular Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura, Azteca America channels.

I count programming from at least 10 different countries and that's not including Univision, Telemundo and Telefutura. What else do you want?

Tom Bombadil said:
OH MY GOSH!!!!
SatelliteGuys DOWN REZZ'ed our Avatars!!!
Spread the word!!
Start the email campaign!
We are as mad as hell and will not take it anymore!
;)

To SatelliteGuys credit, they do not claim full resolution beyond 80x80 on anyone's avatars! :p

(sorry Sean...I couldn't resist...I appreciate your efforts to fight this! :hatsoff: )

Last edited:
Keep fighting! I just had the Dish 1000 installed today, and VOOM turned on. Bad timing, I know, but I paid for the dish in advance, before this current flap erupted. With two HD sets in the house, I really want to utilize them for what they're intended for, true HD. Make sure that Dish knows we're watching what they do.

I just called and had VOOM cancelled on my acount. Not that it matters to Charlie, but I voted with my pocketbook.

Stacy A said:
I just called and had VOOM cancelled on my acount. Not that it matters to Charlie, but I voted with my pocketbook.

Just curious...did you tell them why you were cancelling VOOM? If so, did they seem to have any clue what you were talking about?

Stacy A said:

I voted with my pocketbook last year when I switched to D*, but it was on a non-HD related issue,

I'm really hoping D* doesn't follow suit and do the same crap with their new HD progamming that may be added later on.

I really feel for you E* subs. :(

Yeah, I told the CSR that I was cancelling because Dish was not broadcasting it in the higher resolution. She could not have cared less and I doubt she knew what I was talking about anyway. I'm just hoping that Charlie suddenly notices a trend: that a large number of HD subscribers suddenly dropped the VOOM package. I think since we don't make up an enormous number, that it wouldn't take all that many dropping their VOOM service to be a noticeable statistical anomaly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

need dish install completed right

I need some info....help please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)