There will never be any used PS3 games?

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
There is a huge discussion on the PS3 game boards about a patent Sony just got for copy protection.

The short version is Sony patented a new protection scheme which would marry disks to a specific player. Meaning you could not buy used games or even take your game to a friends house to play on their PS3.

Here is the 1st post about it that I hijacked from ikachii from the IGN PS3 board:

SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

Naturally third software developers would embrace this technology, and it would ensure sales of the inevitable "Best series" for the PS3, but used games shops would be put out of business if the PS3 were to become the primary platform in the next generation

While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3, Kutaragi has gone on record saying that copy management is absolutely necessary in order to endure that no "Napsters" of the game industry create problems in the future.

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I can't imagine they would implement this. The video game rental business is a billion dollar a year business. Surveys have shown that about about 50% of console owners rent games. And of those that rent games, they rent an average of 11 per month. Sixty percent of those that rent games eventually purchase the title they rented.

Im one of those people who rent a game before I buy it. Theres no way Im spending $50-60 for a game and then discover I dont really like it.

angiodan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Cape Coral, Florida
I can see them using this in Japan and Asia. I beleive they are not allowed to rent games the last time I read something about this. And piracy is rampant there.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Stupid . if this happens. Used games are a big part of the market. GamesStop and Blockbuster would loose a substantial amount of business.
Typical Sony greed.. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)