Thinking of getting voom......need help

coolbigj

Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Hi,
I was thinking about getting voom before the 1 dollar speacial ends and was just wondering if anyone has advice on what i need to do or should know before the install...such as things i should ask or tell the installer, or just things i need to know in general before hand. I have always had cable and want to have more HD content so i want to try voom although from reading i dont know what will be of voom in the near future. Also the area is Washington DC.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
JASON

Install

Yeah make sure you keep all your Cables and Components my Installer took mines just a few days ago and Voom said there were going to call Install Inc. Install Inc was supposed to call me to resolve these issue but they have not call me in 4 day so i am calling them first thing tommorrow. :D

Jason - welcome. Although not always needed, it doesn't hurt if you have the time to contact your installer a day or two ahead of your install date just to make sure you are on the same page and to validate the appointment. You should get the name of the installer from Voom when you place your order, and you can call Installs, Inc. (the prime contractor for Voom installs) at 1-888-265-9128 and ask for their number. I did this and headed off a couple of minor issues and had a flawless install.

Good luck and enjoy,

Doug

A few additional questions

I live in the Boston area and was wondering if anyone in the area has VOOM and if so, have they had any problems with it? Do they like it?
Also, I read elsewhere that a phone line isn't needed for VOOM installation. IS this true?
Finally, can a VOOM receiver be hooked up to a non HD television in order to receive SD channels.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Voom will also display all of the HD channels, albeit in Standard Definition, on a regular TV. Time for you to sign up and start enjoying Voom!

Also, be sure to connect the phone line if you want to enjoy the benefits of caller ID...It's a great feature.

Voom is great so far. I haven't unsubbed from DTV, and i dont plan to yet. The HD is great, the SD looks like crap (on my 55" TV). When you install make sure to get it in every room, if you change your mind to add another receiver, like i did later, it costs another $50.
and you DO NOT need a phone line.

jmhunter83 said:
Voom is great so far. I haven't unsubbed from DTV, and i dont plan to yet. The HD is great, the SD looks like crap (on my 55" TV). When you install make sure to get it in every room, if you change your mind to add another receiver, like i did later, it costs another $50.
and you DO NOT need a phone line.

I'd suggest that SD PQ is both variable and subjective. Compared to HD, the SD PQ is somewhat soft on my 65" Mits, but very watchable. Some of the SD offerings are better than others, perhaps based on how much Voom is choosing to compress the channels and the quality of their downlink for the material.

I've compared Voom SD to the original C-Band source and found them to be pretty close. I've not spent much time with D*/E* but some folks report the Voom PQ is as good and mostly better than those providers.

I think your display and how you have it connected, the amount of processing taking place on the picture, etc. will also be a factor in how the SD material looks. In any case, the contrast between HD and SD is very stark based upon what I see on my display. My cure for that is after switching to SD from HD, I take my glasses off for a couple of minutes, and when I out them back on the SD doesn't look so bad anymore... :D

Cheers,

Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts