Thinking of going from DTV to DTV Stream...questions

So I was bored last night and compared what I have (DirecTV XTRA) and what I'm looking at (DirecTV Stream Ultimate).

Basically I'm losing a bunch of stuff I don't watch or use like the music channels, religious programming, international, shopping, other coast feeds of same programming, etc.:
  1. Arirang TV
  2. Aspire
  3. Celebrity Shopping
  4. CGTN
  5. Cowboy Channel
  6. CTN
  7. Daystar
  8. Enlace
  9. ESNE
  10. EWTN
  11. Free Speech TV
  12. GEB America
  13. GEM Shopping
  14. ION
  15. JBS
  16. Jewlery TV
  17. Jewish Life TV
  18. Link TV
  19. Living Faith Network
  20. NASA TV
  21. NewsNation
  22. NFL Network
  23. NHK
  24. NRB
  25. ONCE Mexico
  26. Outdoor Channel
  27. Pursuit
  28. QVC3
  29. SBN
  30. ShopHQ
  31. So Yummy
  32. TBN Inspire
  33. TCT Network
  34. Trinity Broadcasting Network
  35. World Network
  36. World Harvest Television
Looks like I'd gain the Heroes and Icons channel.

I guess the biggest one is NFL but I've been watching less and less football over the years so I can do without. Personally I think it would be refreshing to not have the guide clogged up with all that junk (yes I know I could create favorite lists but don't really want to spend the time maintaining those either as new things are added).

I'm starting to come around as this might be a good idea though not exactly a money saver with the discounts I'm currently getting but saves me from losing picture during heavy downpours or climbing out on the roof during winter to brush snow off my dish (though that's probably a trade-off for internet outages)!
Yeah. Your list is basically what I said (except I didn't list out all those individual shopping, religious and cultural channels.) But I didn't realize that DTV Stream lacks Outdoor Channel or Pursuit.

Couple corrections to your list, though. The website shows that Aspire is in DTV Stream's Ultimate and Premier packages and that NewsNation is in the Choice, Ultimate, and Premier packages. So those two channels are on both systems.

And for anyone who might miss the music channels on DTV satellite, I recommend trying the free Pandora app, which offers a ton of different genre-based music stations. You can use their app on just about any streaming TV device, as well as Google Assistant smart speakers. Pandora's free tier doesn't have too many ads but if the ads bother you, can you pay $5/mo to remove them.

Yeah. Your list is basically what I said (except I didn't list out all those individual shopping, religious and cultural channels.) But I didn't realize that DTV Stream lacks Outdoor Channel or Pursuit.

Couple corrections to your list, though. The website shows that Aspire is in DTV Stream's Ultimate and Premier packages and that NewsNation is in the Choice, Ultimate, and Premier packages. So those two channels are on both systems.

And for anyone who might miss the music channels on DTV satellite, I recommend trying the free Pandora app, which offers a ton of different genre-based music stations. You can use their app on just about any streaming TV device, as well as Google Assistant smart speakers. Pandora's free tier doesn't have too many ads but if the ads bother you, can you pay $5/mo to remove them.
I downloaded and compared a pdf from both, I've always found those and other listings to have errors compared to other information on the same site which has its own issues. So that doesn't necessarily surprise me. Looking back the Stream pdf was last updated 1/22/22 the other 3/10/22.

Reactions: NashGuy
Not sure if u use them but I dont think stream has 4k, or mix channels .. also not sure how well they offer promos .

Being a long time sat sub I get good promos

Not sure if u use them but I dont think stream has 4k, or mix channels .. also not sure how well they offer promos .

No 4K on DTV Stream, pretty sure there are no mix channels either. Yes, the satellite service is probably more generous with promo discounts for long-time customers but then that service's regular pricing is 40% to 50% higher than the same package on Stream to begin with. Ouch.

im actually debating doing this soonish, as they are currently running fiber.
will be interested to hear how it works out

No 4K on DTV Stream, pretty sure there are no mix channels either. Yes, the satellite service is probably more generous with promo discounts for long-time customers but then that service's regular pricing is 40% to 50% higher than the same package on Stream to begin with. Ouch.
Right, I'm getting a ton of discounts right now but after those pretty much the same as what I'd pay for a comparable package on Stream.

Reactions: NashGuy
They just finished in my neighborhood, said it would be 30-45 days to get it all ready to turn on.
it smy elec coop doing mine, they are doing the pole changes, and getting anything underground marked. im hoping for this summer

I switched from Sat to Stream a few weeks ago.
The only thing I miss are the regional sports networks (out of market).
The C71 is a much better option that the app.
I'm also considering switching to Stream. I'm thinking about using two of the Stream Devices so my wife has an easier interface. What is the "C71"? DirecTV is offering "Certified Restored" devices for $49.99. Is this the same as the C71?

How's the sound signal, is it 5.1 surround? I have a home theater set up in one room and would not want to lose that.

i also think that DTV stream requires a CC or debit card unlike DTV sat where you can get a paper bill via snail mail!!!

Reactions: dtv757
I'm also considering switching to Stream. I'm thinking about using two of the Stream Devices so my wife has an easier interface. What is the "C71"? DirecTV is offering "Certified Restored" devices for $49.99. Is this the same as the C71?
Yes. The DirecTV Stream Device was originally known internally by its model number, C71, as well as by its code name "Osprey". Any references you see to those names all mean the same thing.

And thanks for pointing out that they are now selling those devices used directly to new subscribers during the sign-up process at $49.99 each. (You have to pay the full price up-front, you can't spread out the cost of the used boxes out at $5/mo the way you can the new ones.)

If it were me, I'd opt to buy a used one directly from DTV rather than on eBay (where they sell for $50-60). You know it's going to have properly working software on it if you buy it directly from them. Some units bought on eBay will not connect to the internet when you plug them in. So for anyone who does buy one on eBay, make sure it's from a reputable seller who accepts returns!

On the directv website it shows satellite having 330 channels in the premier package while directv stream only has 140 channels!
That difference can mostly be chalked up to what most folks would call junk channels (e.g. shopping, religious, foreign/cultural, etc.). Although some of the difference comes from the premium multiplex channels. Some of the secondary channels like HBO Signature, HBO Zone, and HBO Comedy are carried on satellite but not on DTV Stream. Same way with Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax.

It’s odd that NFL Net isn’t there. I suspect that has something to do with their NFLST contract which should expire after this upcoming season. It’s not quite as important as it once was though since there are no live games on it now.

It’s odd that NFL Net isn’t there. I suspect that has something to do with their NFLST contract which should expire after this upcoming season. It’s not quite as important as it once was though since there are no live games on it now.
That’s exactly why it isn’t there. Been discussed to death

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)