This will change TV again... (Live streaming)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I felt from the beginning that the Aereo deal would be found to be illegal. I just wish there was a more reliable source of free network programming. If local affiliates went to fta spot beams and used internet streaming with geolocation like MLB uses as a backup they could insure adequate coverage for there dma. This could easily be done at little cost if they required satellite providers to unencrypt their channels in exchange for dropping the retransmit fees. As far as commercials, I see networks eventually placing ad content in the programming.

While I usually am not for government intervention, since it is already so heavily regulated I think the U.S. should do like some other countries and legislate that certain sporting events must be broadcast ota free to the public. I am disgusted that espn has built such a monopoly that they seem to control most sports content.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm disappointed but not surprised. You have to see the irony: when the must-carry rules were enacted in the '90s, the broadcasters hated it and sued all the way to the Supreme Court before losing. Fast forward 15 or 20 years, and now retransmission fees are such a big part of the broadcasters' business that they had to be concerned with Aereo as much as they are.

I fear that the only thing that will shake up the status quo is getting enough people to cut off pay TV to force both the cable/satellite providers and the content providers to accept that they need to do business differently (read: a la carte or something close to it.)

Reactions: FaT Air
This Far Side cartoon seems appropriate... :D

tumblr_krw5y2RtDi1qz9bwro1_500.jpg

I must say I do find it rather peculiar that these OTA networks don't just offer Internet streams of their channels themselves to bring in all those extra viewers and thus extra ad dollars. With an Internet stream you can even track viewership much more accurately than with that Nielsen trash.

It is much harder to skip commercials and record programming on Internet streaming video than it is with a plain old ATSC tuner. Someone watching the Internet stream would have a heck of a time skipping ads vs. the viewer watching their channel via an antenna. Seems to me more Internet viewers should be more valuable to these companies than more antenna viewers because of their inability to skip advertising.

The OTA neworks do offer Internet streams, but most are now restricting access to current content. To access a current show, the viewer must confirm what service provider they subscribe to. If you do not subscribe (pay someone, who pays them) then you are unable view the programming for a week, two or more.

With respect to Trip, I understand that the broadcasters are a business and not a non-profit, but if it this isn't about double dipping on both ads and retranmission fees, why then not use any technology available to deliver the channel? I am in an affiliate's DMA and willing to watch the local ad avails in exchange for live or time-shifted content delivered using any technology.

Do the networks resent the free OTA distribution model and affiliates that much? The network is already cutting out the local affiliate with their national streaming and replacing the local advertising with national commercials. If I was a local affiliate, I would be mad as h377 to not be able to serve my content to my DMA viewers!

Follow the $$$$$$

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991
?
Wait a minute.. Are you telling me that Dish is charging me $5 a month for ESPN? :mad:

If you have a package with ESPN in it, yes. And if you have ESPN2, that's another $2 and change.

Oh h*ll no ! I’m going to call monday and have this fixed! I will not subsidize ‘sports’ in an shape, form or fashion.
I refuse to pay for that BS. I have never watched it and I will never watch it. Not in MY house...
You couldn’t pay me to watch it. This is complete rubbish that they charge me for something that I do not want.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good luck on that one, Dee Ann! You won't find any sympathy with your satellite service provider. :(

Maybe the Dish Welcome Package has the channels you want without the additional channels you don't?

Unless you plan on canceling, there is nothing Dish can/will do. They are required by contract with Disney, just like Directv and cable companies to have espn in their basic package. You could drop to the welcome package but it is not an HD package, so other than locals, the few channels in it are all SD.

Yep Dee, you will have to drop to the Welcome Pack or the Smart pack to lose ESPN. Remember though the Smart Pack does not have History(The reason you went to DISH). ;)
Plus you will be losing HD.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. You have to see the irony: when the must-carry rules were enacted in the '90s, the broadcasters hated it and sued all the way to the Supreme Court before losing. Fast forward 15 or 20 years, and now retransmission fees are such a big part of the broadcasters' business that they had to be concerned with Aereo as much as they are.

I fear that the only thing that will shake up the status quo is getting enough people to cut off pay TV to force both the cable/satellite providers and the content providers to accept that they need to do business differently (read: a la carte or something close to it.)
must carry rules date back to the 70's
http://www.museum.tv/eotv/mustcarryru.htm

As it happened before, about ten years ago, they fought to death a new distribution model, Napster. But the idea didn't die and evolved to multiples ways to free music; from the very simple way to find your favourite music in "Your Tube" to live streaming where you can program your favourites at any time. The only change in the model is that instead of storing them, you program them on-line, but they are there for you for free all the time.
As they say on those motivational sales seminars; who does not adapt to change, will disappear, like the dinosaurs.

Nope. Don’t want the welcome pack. That’s useless, might as well just drop the whole thing at that point.
Not going to drop my HD either.

It’s not that I want it removed from my channels (wouldn’t miss it or know it if they did) it’s that I object to being charged for channels that I abhor with a passion.
‘Sports’ channels aren’t the only channels I despise, there are plenty more and I am really angry that I am paying to support such absolute rubbish!
I think it should be against the law to have these policies of charging everyone for everything.

You know, if it was like 50 cents a month, it wouldn’t bother me so much for the ‘sports’ garbage. But FIVE DOLLARS a month? For something that I will NEVER, EVER watch? Channels that I have removed from my guide so I don’t have to even see that they exist. I don’t know why they can’t just block the ESPN garbage on their end so it can not be viewed, or scramble it, and then not charge me for it.
I do not want ANY sports in my home, ever.

There’s really only about a dozen or so channels that I ever watch but they spread them across all the tiers so that to get them you have to get the AT250.
And there’s no way I’m going back to SD after I replaced all my TV’s. I watch SD stuff when there is not an HD version of it, such as MeTV content.

Anyway. No point in going on about it because every time I say anything about my not liking Dish policy everyone gets irate with me.
So I’m dropping this here and now. I guess I’ll never, ever have the option of paying just for the channels I watch and not the rubbish I refuse to ever watch.

I’ve got nothing more to say on it, I don’t feel like being raked over the coals, again.
I’ll continue to pay my bill as I have been doing as I’m reasonably happy with what I get from it. More so than not.

:)

That's life Dee Ann - just remember that if Charlie can't change to "a la cart" pricing (and he has tried) then there is no hope for the peons!:(
Bob

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)