thoughts on projection TV

I have been trying to figure out what projector to get next. I decided my house needs a projector also. I would love to have the new JVC DLA HD20, but its sticker price is a shocker right now. I will be researching for a while over at avsforum. I just watched the superbowl on the big screen, it was incredible.

I first started looking at buying one a few years ago and was told of one that was $1600 with a free extra bulb for 720p. I wonder how much that projector would cost now? I assume that costs have come down quite a bit.

Mike, what about the "gently used" market for the JVC RS-1 or RS-2?

The Ebay prices on these are dropping now. They will be a serious consideration. I have been mostly working out the logistics of the room. I have a high dresser and a ceiling fan to worry about. I think I can get around the dresser issue with an acoustically transparent screen and putting the speakers behind.

The ceiling in the bedroom is 9' 4" high. The dresser is 42" high. There is also an AC vent on the wall, with the bottom about 15" below the ceiling. I can fit a 92" screen in there (assuming 2.5" border around the screen).

1/2 the FP experience is the sound system. So, I am planning how I can get that to work. I decided there is no way to get free standing speakers to fit, so I am now working (researching) on in wall ones.

Well I just bought a second projector for my house. I got a great deal on the Pioneer FPJ1 (re-badge JVC RS2). It was of course a closeout since Pioneer is leaving the business. It is a compromise of course. It is last years model, but pretty much the top of the reasonably priced models. But at $5k below the old MSRP ($8k) it was too much of a steal of a deal. It was from an authorized dealer for full 2 year warranty.

I am busy installing speakers now. Should have it all complete in about 2 weeks.

I just upgraded my room projector to the JVC RS-10 and couldn't be happier. If anyone is looking for a great projector the RS10 should be on your list. I was originally going to get the RS-20 but decided the RS-10 was just too good a deal to pass up. I have an Integra 9.9 so the CMS in the RS-20 was not really a selling factor and I couldn't see the extra cost for the RS-20.

Earl

More reasons I like... (shots suck but...)

Attachments

• Petty1.JPG
    Petty1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Petty2.JPG
    Petty2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 124
My 6 year old Hitatchi CRT has a serious convergence problem, looking online the fix will be in the $500 range (no repairmen even close to here)... I've been looking at possible a replacement in the 40"-50" range (Sony or Samsung) but find myself not really impressed with the models I've seen... only the 108" at CES :D, I find my self drawn to possibly getting a small LCD for the Livingroom and putting in another projector in there...(more bang for the buck) the bulk of my series and movie watching is via either the 73" screen in the HT room or the 99" in the BT...

I just got my Pioneer FPJ1 (clone of JVC-RS2) from UPS. So, I will spend the evening hanging it. I am going to project to a 92" screen. It is an DLA projector with 30k:1 native contrast ratio. They are of course being closed out since Pioneer is leaving the business. This former (3 months ago) $9k projector is under $3k right now. I projected it on the wall to test it out, and it has an amaizing picture on my dark brown wall! I can hardly wait until I have it up on the screen.

Saving BSG for it?

You know it!

It was the first thing I watched on it. I have everything set up now, but my screen is not hung, it is just sitting on top of my dresser. Hanging the projector was pretty easy with the Cheif mount. I had already installed the surround system a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow I will get the laser level out and hang the screen.

In another thread Gregg is selling these at the discounted price. It is simply stunning (coming from plasma and DLP projection).

Well after watching this TV for a while, all I can say is WOW what a great picture. It appears to me to have a black level just a tad darker than the Pioneer Plasma generation 8. Not quite the generation 9 level. The color is amazingly accurate.

It is just like having a 92" plasma image. This projector is a fantastic deal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)