THROWBACK THURSDAY: when people might have been cutting the cord

Today, cord-cutting is a given. We know it’s happening, and we know it’s happening fast. It’s become a big part of our lives today and everyone I know has been thinking hard about how much money they spend on TV. $1200 a year for basic cable’s a hard pill to swallow. We understand at Solid Signal and that’s why we have a huge selection of TV antennas and supplies to help you cut that price down.

It wasn’t always so obvious​

Back in 2012, the term “cord cutting” was pretty new. It was so new that some people didn’t even believe in it. In fact, I wrote an article back in 2012 that questioned if it was even “a thing.” Back then, the biggest argument against the wave of cord-cutting was DIRECTV’s uninterrupted year-over-year growth, a pattern that would actually continue for several more years. Now, even though DIRECTV is the undisputed leader in pay television,it’s not growing like it once did. The entire world of traditional pay television has seen huge changes in the last decade since that article was written. Cord-cutting of one sort or another has become the default, not the new hot thing. But back in 2012 I wasn’t so convinced.

So yes it’s a thing.​

But hey cut me some slack. 2012 was a different time. Many people didn’t even have a phone that could stream video in 2012. I knew people who called themselves techies who still carried Blackberries for gosh sake. Hulu was still free. It was a different time.

But one thing that hasn’t changed is that there are options. In fact there are more options for live video than ever and that’s a good thing. For some people, cord-cutting is going to mean cutting out every single bill and going antenna-only. For others, it’s going to be a hybrid of traditional streaming, combined with an antenna for the daily news, weather and traffic. Still others will want it all, combining antenna and streaming with a live streaming TV package to make sure that they never miss out on anything. No matter if you want to pay $5 a month or $500 there’s a package out there for you.

Another thing that hasn’t changed: The Solid Signal Blog is right here helping you make the choice. Back when I wrote that article it was roughly the 100th one published. Since then I’ve authored about 15,000 articles and you can read about 9,000 of them here on this blog. Some of the rest can be found other places on the web, and to be real honest some of them weren’t worth archiving.

So thank you, and I look forward to even more Throwback Thursdays. They may make me look silly or wrong, but I’m always going to publish them. This blog has been going strong since 2007 and with luck we’ll make it to 2027 and beyond!

The post THROWBACK THURSDAY: when people might have been cutting the cord appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts