Thunderstorm knocks out HR20-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Cookeville, TN
A thunderstorm came through here this afternoon and it sounded like world war 3 was starting up!

After all the rattling and jarring and lightning, my receiver won't boot up. The receivers blue lights go on and on the screen, it says self checking and the other stuff but then when it is supposed to download the data, the screen goes blank and resolution lights flash back and forth and thats it. nothing else happens. Is it dead, or what can I try after 3 unplugs?

I do have a D12 receiver in another room that works so the signals must be ok.

Lem52

Last edited:
A thunderstorm came through here this afternoon and it sounded like world war 3 was starting up!

After all the rattling and jarring and lightning, my receiver won't boot up. The receivers blue lights go on and on the screen, it says self checking and the other stuff but then when it is supposed to download the data, the screen goes blank and resolution lights flash back and forth and thats it. nothing else happens. Is it dead, or what can I try after 3 unplugs?

I do have a D12 receiver in another room that works so the signals must be ok.

Lem52

Your probably right, but you might want to put the D12 on that line just to make sure that it's not a cable issue ....
I suspect the D12 will work fine there, but better safe than sorry.

If it does work, I would call D*, hopefully you have the Protection plan :up

If there is a multiswitch being used, maybe it lost an output. If there is, then bypass it as a test.

And, get a UPS for that unit.

I moved the DVR to the computer room where the D12 was. Hooked up DVR there and just parts of it worked and searching for signal was all it would do, however there is normal signal on that line. The D12 worked on 1 line in living room and flaky on the other line. I have an appointment for directv on Tuesday. They said $49.95 for the tech to come out and no I didn't have the protection plan.

Lem52

I moved the DVR to the computer room where the D12 was. Hooked up DVR there and just parts of it worked and searching for signal was all it would do, however there is normal signal on that line. The D12 worked on 1 line in living room and flaky on the other line. I have an appointment for directv on Tuesday. They said $49.95 for the tech to come out and no I didn't have the protection plan.

Lem52

Yup, thats a standard service call.
IF you had the PP it would have been free.

Do they charge me anything else when they replace the receiver?

Lem52

Hmm, Not having the PP they will possibly do a swap even up possibly charging you a shipping ? fee of like $20 .....

If you had the PP it too would have been free ....

This is just a guess, hopefully others may know for sure.

Hmm, Not having the PP they will possibly do a swap even up possibly charging you a shipping ? fee of like $20 .....

If you had the PP it too would have been free ....

This is just a guess, hopefully others may know for sure.

The cost to replace a leased receiver is zero. There is a 19.95 charge for shipping, but a tech is coming to your house, so it shouldn't cost you anything. Don't let them put you into a new contract. Replacement of defective equipment does not trigger a contract extension. The only issue you might have is the cause of the faulty equipment is mother nature and not DirecTV. So if you told them the storm was the culprit, you might be SOL.

Well, here it is Tuesday and my appointment is supposed to be from noon til 4. It always happens when I get an appointment that the Tech person calls and is running late and won't be here before 5-7 this time.

Lem52

The receiver was replaced with an HR22-100. At least it is black and matches my other equipment. It might be a bit slower than the HR20-700 though.

Lem52

The receiver was replaced with an HR22-100. At least it is black and matches my other equipment. It might be a bit slower than the HR20-700 though.

Lem52
Thats surprising that they didn't give you the same unit that you had go out. (HR20-700)

The 2 guys that came were not originally supposed to be doing the job they said. They first said that it would be the same receiver but they didn't have a receiver on the truck and had to go get one. They also peaked my signal on the dish more and now I get higher numbers than before. I think they also replaced something out at the dish but I wasn't out there, so don't know.

Lem52

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)