Time Warner Cable To Pull Viacom's MTV, VH1, Nick & Comedy Central Off (Averted)

The bigger question is....how many of those 13 million subscribers would really care? I for one wouldn't. It's about time providers start playing hardball with the programmers. Times are tough right now. When does it end. They keep upping the fees but yet they keep decreasing actual programming and adding more and more commercials and screen clutter that detracts from programming. I say good for TWC.

+1 here. It's good to see the providers telling the programmers where to stick it.

It's really getting out of hand with the price increases, and extra obscure channels being shoved down the providers throats in channel bundling. If all providers would take a stand this would all end.

You hear me DirecTv. :D

I hope they do not give in. Cable bills are high enough as it is. When programming costs go up 10-15% this year, and everyone gets a bill increase of 10-15% dont be pissed if you support viacom in this deal.

Amen !!! If people would just flood the providers (Viacom, etc...) phones and email with compliants about the increases this may slow down. Let the providers know that you'll boycot the channels in dispute. Let the advertisers know you won't support their products if they advertise on these channels. This is where you'll hurt the providers..................in the pocket book.

It's time the people take a stand !!!!

Viva la revolucion !!!!! :D

As a DISH & DIRECTV retailer, TWC shutting off thses channels will make my phone ring. I believe Lifetime is one of those channels, customers will be real pissed if they loose that one.

As a DISH & DIRECTV retailer, TWC shutting off thses channels will make my phone ring. I believe Lifetime is one of those channels, customers will be real pissed if they loose that one.
There may be a dispute with Lifetime Television(don't know), but the network is owned by Lifetime Entertainment Services which is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company and Hearst Corporation.

Lifetime is not a Viacom channel.

And please read my sig.

As on Nickelodeon owned by Viacom?

Viacom is not the provider, if that's what you were getting at. The provider is Time Warner, DISH, Cox, DirecTV, ect. He just meant that the messages are coming from the channel, not the provider.

Remember when DISH was going through this? I think Viacom was putting up messages to call DISH to complain, and DISH was covering the message with their OWN message to call Viacom! Ahh Charlie...he's a d-bag, but you gotta admire him.

It would be nice if they cut 20% of the commercials on these channels if they are going to raise their fees. It is getting rediculous on cable now with 5 minute commercial breaks, flashing popups all over the screen and wait 4 minutes of show time for another 5 minute commercial break.

Requiring all providers (Satellite / Cable & Fios) to unbundle channels and price them ala carte based on the actual charges from the channel originator could eliminate these types of disputes. Here is how it would work:
-The satellite / cable provider would charge a fee for service and a basic channel package. That package would have to include any channel that is provided from the channel originator at no cost to the service provider. So this basic package would include shopping, public service and any advertiser supported channel that does not impose a per-subscriber charge.
-All channels that do impose a per-subscriber charge would be offered ala carte at a price based on that charge, plus a reasonable mark-up for the service provider. Providers and channel originators could offer packages of channels at a discount, but no one would be required to take an entire package if they only wanted one channel. Would this kill some channels? Of course it would. But the channels that remain would be stronger because they would be there because people actually want them, not because they were forced to take them as part of a package deal. It would eliminate disputes between channel originators and service providers, because higher costs for a particular channel would be passed directly to subscribers, and subscribers could decide directly whether that channel is worth it. It works that way with magazine subscriptions - why not with TV?

i got that message too (nickelodeon channel 170, while my child is watching spongebob's movie), eventhough i am a dish network customer. it starts with "ALERT ALERT ALERT ATTENTION time warner cable and bright house network customers....." black banner and white letters at the bottom of the screen. and i was this close to switch from dishnet to twc ...... good to know i didn't, otherwise i would had a mad little woman whinning all day long.

The following are the channels that will be gone from Time Warner Cable and BrightHouse Networks starting Thursday, Jan 1st according to Viacom's website:

-ATOMFILMS -ADDICTINGGAMES -CMT -COMEDY CENTRAL -GAMETRAILERS - HARMONIX -LOGO -MTV -MTV2 -MTVN INTERNATIONAL -MTVU -MTV TR3S -NEOPETS -NICKELODEON -NICK JR. -NICK AT NITE -NOGGIN -PARENTSCONNECT -QUIZILLA -RHAPSODY -SHOCKWAVE -SPIKE -THE N -TV LAND -VH1 -VH1 CLASSIC -VH1 SOUL -VIRTUAL WORLDS -XFIRE

Note: Not all these channels are on these 2 cable companies. I think 19 are.

Last edited:
OH well. Maybe Viacom Shouldn't be so greedy. But in the end this is Hurting Time Warner more then Viacom. Time warner Customers can Call D* or E* had be back in service within days.

I think it will hurt Viacom as well. I mean they will lose 13 million possible viewers and all the monthly income that comes from the current agreement.

If viacom is hurting from losing ad money now, imagine being 13million viewers less.

i have always wanted something like this, that way i would only pay for the channels i really want to watch. BUT .......

-All channels that do impose a per-subscriber charge would be offered ala carte at a price based on that charge, plus a reasonable mark-up for the service provider. Providers and channel originators could offer packages of channels at a discount, but no one would be required to take an entire package if they only wanted one channel.

what would it be a reasonable price for the provider service fee? what would it be a reasonable mark-up when it comes to a la carte channels?

i think i only watch around 9 channels out of the whole package and pay 59.20 after taxes every month (dvr fee, 2nd receiver fee and programming access fee included, no HD). and only 2 out of those 9, are really watched all the time, the other 7, need them only when there's nothing good in the other 2, LOL!

I don't see one Viacom channel that I actually watch. Nevertheless, these kinds of disputes will continue until the public is given a la carte choices. There is nothing wrong with the programming megapacks (good value for some people), but please don't make me purchase 200+ channels of crap TV just so I can watch a handful of quality channels in the Top-Tier package.

Why do programmers charge the MSOs, like Dish Network and Time Warner, when they should be setting the price for the entire American public. If you want to add MTV to your lineup, it's the same price whether you're with E*, D*, FiOS, or Cable. A la carte let's the people decide what programming they want, and the price they are willing to pay. The MSOs can be judged by their efficiently, reliability, picture qualtiy, and value added services like DVR, Slingbox like services, etc.

1. All channels should be priced "A la carte" to the subscriber, and not to the networks.
2. Any channels electing to "advertise and run informercials" should be required to submit their signals to MSOs (and subscribers) free of charge.
3. Only channels that do not accept advertiser dollars are permitted to charge for services on Cable, DBS, or IPTV.
4. Good content will survive...more than 50% of the channels littering our airwaves will die (thank goodness)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)