Tips for making the 722 quieter?

nyvram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
When I run audyessy on my SR606 I unplug the DVR because its too 'noisy' for me.

Now I'm starting to notice it at night when I'm watching tv with the volume down..just a steady humm/low level buzz thats right on the verge of being irritating.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this quieter? I guess I can always get a piece of glass or something and stick in front of it. My stand is pretty open so my components can breathe so that might be part of the problem.

Here's a pic. DVR on bottom shelf on the left. AVR on the right.

img0986ld1.jpg

Now I'm starting to notice it at night when I'm watching tv with the volume down..just a steady humm/low level buzz thats right on the verge of being irritating.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this quieter? I guess I can always get a piece of glass or something and stick in front of it. My stand is pretty open so my components can breathe so that might be part of the problem.

Get a piece of glass and see your problems start.
By the way where did you get that TV stand?:)

Looks like you AV receiver is blocking the air intake on the right side of your dvr, maybe making the fan work harder to draw cooling air in

Bob

Last edited:
Looks like you AV receiver is blocking the air intake on the right side of your dvr, maybe making the fan work harder to draw cooling air in

Bob
+1 It looks like you have room to put a gap between them still keeping them on the same shelf.

If you own the DVR you could DIY my fan mod - check main thread about overheating 622/722.

Thanks for the great responses! I didn't realize the air intake was on the right side. I'll put some more space in between them.

FYI, this DVR is 3 weeks old so I doubt there's any dust build-up yet.

I'll check out your fan-mod. I did that on my Replay a few years ago and it worked WONDERS. You could hardly hear the Replay after I modified teh fan.

When I run audyessy on my SR606 I unplug the DVR because its too 'noisy' for me.

img0986ld1.jpg

Good looking set up. You should invest in a Harmony.:)

Thanks for the great responses! I didn't realize the air intake was on the right side. I'll put some more space in between them.

FYI, this DVR is 3 weeks old so I doubt there's any dust build-up yet.

I'll check out your fan-mod. I did that on my Replay a few years ago and it worked WONDERS. You could hardly hear the Replay after I modified teh fan.
So where did you get your TV stand?

re: question 1: I do have a harmony. I just didn't have it working yet when I took these pictures. See my "cc button" thread on this forum. ;-)

Everyone asks me the same question about my tv stand. It was a scratch-and-dent thing at PierOne. I think the normal retail is $199 (I just bought this last year so it shoudl still be around) but they sold it to me for $50 because it was missing some of the hardware.

If you're interested I bet they still have it in the stores. I love it. Its very sturdy, all the bolts are recessed & hidden and it lets my components breathe.

When I had a 622 I tried a lot of things to lessen the noise so I could live with it. But eventually ended up putting it into my basement and running the HDMI up through the floor, along with the remote antenna. That worked perfectly. Could then sit and read in that room when the TV was turned off.

If you have a basement or a free closet or something of that nature, you could move your equipment in there to reduce noise.

I ran in to this myself and aside from the noise, I got annoyed that my TV room got cluttered with a lot of equipment.
So I ended up getting an A/V rack that I put in the basement, and I put all of my stuff in there.

I've attached some (crappy) pictures of it (my digital camera is from the last millennium :)).

Attachments

• 081023-002.jpg
    081023-002.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 081023-003.jpg
    081023-003.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 081023-014.jpg
    081023-014.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 081023-015.jpg
    081023-015.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Can I ask how you're changing the channel with the DVR in the basement? I thought the DVR1 remote was IR and teh DVR2 remote was RF.

noise

Also i find a mouse pad cut in strips and used under the feet of the DVR helps reduce vibration which can lead to noise. Just my 2 cents

Is ESPNU broadcasting in HD?

NEW NATIONAL HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)