Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have to admit it, I am not a guy well versed in legal mumbo jumbo. When word got out yesterday that the United States Patent & Trademark office had upheld Tivos “Time warp” patent my mailbox quickly filled up from readers everywhere concerned that their Dish Network Digital Vi…

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST...

Catch new editions of "The Satellite Dish" every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at MultiChannelNews.COM!

I have to admit it, I am not a guy well versed in legal mumbo jumbo. When word got out yesterday that the United States Patent & Trademark office had upheld Tivos “Time warp” patent my mailbox quickly filled up from readers everywhere concerned that their Dish Network Digital Vi…

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST...

Catch new editions of "The Satellite Dish" every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at MultiChannelNews.COM!

I read the rest of the article and a question comes to mind. If it would just take a small adjustment to software that subs probably wouldn't notice to rectify the problem then why wouldn't E* have done that already? The 90 million judgement will have grown considerably since the initial ruling if E* happens to lose.

because then they are admitting fault.. if they don't make the change till their forced then they believe they aren't.. RIM did the same thing with the blackberry software.. they were forced to make the change in the end..

If Tivo comes up for sale then I figure D* will just out bid everyone else and they will own Tivo! :D

why? D isnt activating new tivos anymore.

E would have good business reasons to buy it and the lawsuit is instantly solved

Does anyone else think TIVO is still viable? Looking at ads for their new HD DVR makes no sense to me. Why would anyone buy the unit for $200.00 then pay an additional $15.00 a month for a TIVO unit? Every provider cable or satelitte has their own units. Where will these units be used?

I could see some units used by cable customers that just hate the unit provided by the cable company, but most people will just use the one they get from their provider. Only the extreamists will want the TIVO unit from what I can see.

Does anyone else think TIVO is still viable? Looking at ads for their new HD DVR makes no sense to me. Why would anyone buy the unit for $200.00 then pay an additional $15.00 a month for a TIVO unit? Every provider cable or satelitte has their own units. Where will these units be used?

I could see some units used by cable customers that just hate the unit provided by the cable company, but most people will just use the one they get from their provider. Only the extreamists will want the TIVO unit from what I can see.

Why would someone pay $80K for Lexus instead of $25K for a Hyundai?

TiVO is a great product, and if you can afford it then why not? You should try a Motorola 6412 sometime... you might understand... :)

TiVO is a great product, and if you can afford it then why not? You should try a Motorola 6412 sometime... you might understand... :)

I don't see where this has a direct relation. How many threads do you see on these boards about people that get ticked because Dish or Direct want to charge $50.00 to upgrade to a DVR. With tv it seems to me that it's free free free, not what is the best unit.

I don't see where this has a direct relation. How many threads do you see on these boards about people that get ticked because Dish or Direct want to charge $50.00 to upgrade to a DVR. With tv it seems to me that it's free free free, not what is the best unit.

You're exactly right for the majority of people, but there are always a subset of enthusiasts who will pay more. Computer gamers might be a better analogy. Anyone can play most games on a $1000 computer, yet hardcore gamers will pay $4000 to $6000 EVERY YEAR OR TWO for the absolute best gaming experience.

It's probably because of the small size of the enthusiast crowd -- the relatively small group of people who value TV and the features of their DVR enough to pay extra monthly fees -- that TiVO Inc. has had such dismal financial performance over the years and always seems to be on the brink of ruin.

It appears as though Comcast will be charging an EXTRA monthly fee (on top of all their other monthly fees) to TiVO-enable their existing DVRs. While that will be cheaper than buying a TiVO S3 or TiVO HD, I think we Dish and DirecTV DVR users are fortunate to have good, reliable hardware for much less monthly expense.

I wouldn't compare Tivo to a Lexus. It's more like a Pinto. Tivo has clunky software, and annoying layout, and is as slow as molasses in January. Give my my E* DVR or ReplayTV any day over that Tivo kludge.

Part of Echostar's strategy (differentiated from Dish Network, remember), is to develop a separate business on it's own. So if they added Tivo to that portfolio, that would be a good thing.

I am sure they will be competing with motorola for digital set-top box business going forward, and wouldn't it be cool to be able to offer Tivo-enabled boxes as well? They could be promoted as Tivo boxes, which have more of a name than Echostar does. Same thing with Sling.

There are all kinds of opportunities. They might even sell the boxes to Directv.

I am sure they have been talking, and if the price it right, a deal could be made.

Well, I for one love my DirecTivo. We have 2 of them, and an R10 in my son's room. I HATE the R10.

My sister and her husband have a stand alone Tivo. That, I would not have. I can record 2 things at once with my Tivo and maybe you can do the same thing with the R10, but, I would buy a used DirecTivo on Ebay before I would accept a DirecTv DVR.

Well, I for one love my DirecTivo. We have 2 of them, and an R10 in my son's room. I HATE the R10.

My sister and her husband have a stand alone Tivo. That, I would not have. I can record 2 things at once with my Tivo and maybe you can do the same thing with the R10, but, I would buy a used DirecTivo on Ebay before I would accept a DirecTv DVR.

Hate to tell you ,but an R10?.Is a DirecTivo.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts