TIVO vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here it comes.
At first it was "provide a quote"
"it needs to be notarized"

Now it's so what? It's just his opinion. Classic.

So the CEO of the opposing party says Dish is infringing with all of their receivers -- do we expect him to say anything else? I don't buy it.

Except not just Rogers, but the retailer chat said so too.

Look at it this way, E* must prepare for the next status meeting coming soon later this month if the appeals court does not stop it, on that meeting TiVo will likely introduce all the E* new DVRs including the VIPs.

By downloading the same new software onto them, as long as E* is confident that the new software is non-infringing, the issue will have to be sort out along the appeal. The appeals court usually takes about 6 months to make a decision, while Judge Folsom's proceedings will take about the same time if not longer.

As long as E* is confident they can win on appeal, there is no downside of declaring that all E* DVRs now are redesigned.

Here it comes.
At first it was "provide a quote"
"it needs to be notarized"

Now it's so what? It's just his opinion. Classic.

My tolerance for you is very thin.

I asked a question, got an answer; and said thank you - twice.

If you choose to attack me, I will not hesitate to send you packing. Consider this the public warning.

jacmyoung said:
If Charlie admitted so most recently, then that supports Greg's theory that E* just downloaded the new software to the VIPs, after the new software was found to continue to infringe by the judge.
Not "so most recently". This was back when DISH/SATS uploaded new software to the eight models of receivers found infringing. DISH/SATS also uploaded that software to the 622/722.

That tidbit was mentioned in a letter to retailers dated 18 April 2008. That was the date the injunction was put into effect.

There has supposedly been no new software since the design-around software, and I'd suspect all receivers have some variation of that software. That is the the same software which is now running on the receivers found infringing for a second time.

Unfortunately we do not have E*'s motion to read, but by the reading of TiVo's response, it appears E* did not mention the two other elements of the software step: the "audio and video data" and the "temporarily stores." If E* only argued on a single element "parse" I don't see a likelihood of succeeding. One can certainly say the PID filter parses too, just not the kind of parse that has to do with the "audio and video data from the broadcast data," nor "temporarily stores said audio and video data," even though during the hearing E* spent a lot of time on these two elements.

On the issue of "Infringing Products" in the injunction, TiVo argued the same as the judge, that the "Infringing Products" meant for the adjudicated DVRs in their "entirety," meaning both the hardware and software. Because of that TiVo argued even if the new software is non-infringing, it only covers part of the "Infringing Products" and the hardware part is still under the injunction.

But such argument misses the point, if only the new software no longer infringes, the "entire" DVRs no longer infringe, therefore the "entire" DVRs are no longer "Infringing Products," and as such the injuction no longer applies to them.

As I said I believe for the appeals court to stay the order pending appeal, E* must prove there is a very good likelihood that E* can succeed on appeal, nothing else should matter much this time. Without seeing E*'s motion, there is no way of telling what exactly did E* say in there. Will have to wait and see how the appeals court will respond.

But such argument misses the point, if only the new software no longer infringes, the "entire" DVRs no longer infringe, therefore the "entire" DVRs are no longer "Infringing Products," and as such the injuction no longer applies to them.
But doesn't the new software still infringe because it is only "colorably different" according to the District Court?

But doesn't the new software still infringe because it is only "colorably different" according to the District Court?

The point was, both TiVo and the judge said even if the new software was more than colorably different and the design-around was non-infringing, the DVRs were still "Infringing Products." This is the biggest hole in the ruling.

The point was, both TiVo and the judge said even if the new software was more than colorably different and the design-around was non-infringing, the DVRs were still "Infringing Products." This is the biggest hole in the ruling.

And thus, the greatest hope for the appeal.

I think that this the whole debate we have been trying to have (with limited success) in the past couple days. :)

Not exactly, yes we have been debating whether the design around is still an infringement or not, but the above point was argued by TiVo and the judge under the assumption that the design-around is non-infringing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

STRANGE ERROR!!

purchase or lease a second VIP 211?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts