To Me Getting HDNET or InHD is a moot point if...

theph0xx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004

Voom can go out and acquire similar content of decent quality both picture-wise and genre-wise. It seems to me that everyone would just die for these channels because they can see what content those channels already have that isn't currently available elsewhere. However, I think its just as feasible that Voom adds content and sticks it on their own exclusive channels. Really when you think about it HDNet/InHd seem to be showing almost the exact same thing on its 4 channels, that Voom is showing spread out over 21 channels. I know there are some exceptions such as MLB, NHL, Bikini Destinations, but I think its more likely that Voom picks up hockey games, grabs a few baseball games, and films "G-String Rendezvous" than it is they grab HDnet/InHD.

Couldn't it be possible that the asking price for carrying HDnet/InHD was so high that Voom decided it would rather go out and grab its own similar content for less so that maybe, just maybe once their quality is similar to those 2 groups they could sell their stations for cash as well?

just a thought. I want more HD now, whatever it is, just like anyone else, but I don't think I could fault Voom for making a business decision that may be helping to keep their service alive so I can enjoy it longer! I'm trying hard to be patient.

One other thought while I'm at it...

I think it is becoming increasingly important that Voom "brand" its exclusive channels by name, so that consumers have some way to relate to each channel's content witout having to see whats actually on. It is helpful I think to have a naming system so people know what to expect. The generic names on the Cinema1-10 series is about the dumbest thing I have heard of. I'm so glad they are beginning to group genres and name the channels appropriately (even if this did result in DivineHD :p )

When people think HDnet or InHD they think lots of good quality HD content. Voom needs to make it so that when you think about their exclusives you think "good quality HD content in genre X". X being the genre grouping of course. I think spreading the content out over specific channels is better than 1-2 stations because maybe you can strike an interest with a customer when they hear "Oh RaveHD is a music channel with concerts, I love that" OR "Oh EpicsHD shows classic epic movies, I'm such a fan of that!" These positive responses hopefully score points for Voom in the "I Gotta Have It" category.

The only criticism of this strategy is that Voom has to gain more mainstream content that appeals to the most people which will generate the most subs, AND we really don't have that mainstream content yet.

theph0xx said:

Really when you think about it HDNet/InHd seem to be showing almost the exact same thing on its 4 channels, that Voom is showing spread out over 21 channels.
nope sorry I dont see it. what channel shows the sports content? I dont count vacation or exercise activities as sports.

theph0xx said:
I know there are some exceptions such as MLB, NHL, Bikini Destinations, but I think its more likely that Voom picks up hockey games, grabs a few baseball games, and films "G-String Rendezvous" than it is they grab HDnet/InHD.
I doubt it, I dont think MLB, Boxing or MLS would want the limited exposure of only being seen by 10-20k Voom subscribers. Just as you dont see INHD on only one cable provider or hdnet on only one DBS. Voom simply doesnt have enough subs. Im not sure the exposure would even be enough for the ailing NHL. But maybe.

You have a point there about HDNet and INHD. I used to get HDNet when I was with D*, but dropped it after they grouped it with the HD package and started charging extra. It had great picture quality, and some of the content was good. But it took a very quirky, grab-bag approach to programming. HDNet would typically have some documentary about trains, followed by a travelogue, then a soccer or hockey game, followed by a rerun of Hogan's Heroes. Before they started HDNet Movies as a separate channel, they might show a movie. It was nice sometimes, but I never knew whether what was going to be on would be something I wanted to see. It struck me as a throwback to what I imagine TV must have been like in the 40s and 50s, when genre-specific channels didn't exist yet, and people were so excited to have TV that they would watch whatever was on.

Voom could definitely do with the high-quality professional sports that HDNet and INHD have. But I like having the concerts, the art documentaries, the movies, etc., separated into different channels. Voom has a ways to go on the content, but I like the direction they are moving in.

vurbano said:
nope sorry I dont see it. what channel shows the sports content? I dont count vacation or exercise activities as sports.

I doubt it, I dont think MLB, Boxing or MLS would want the limited exposure of only being seen by 10-20k Voom subscribers. Just as you dont see INHD on only one cable provider or hdnet on only one DBS. Voom simply doesnt have enough subs. Im not sure the exposure would even be enough for the ailing NHL. But maybe.

So what your saying is that you believe that Voom will not get HDnet/InHD nor will it acquire its own content? Should I translate that as Voom is just going to roll over and die? :p:p

To me the real moot point is the cinema channels. What happens when TNT learns how to do HD? and AMCHD comes, along with TMCHD(turner movie classics)? They already have bravohd and encorehd. the more these channels are added the more irrelevant cinema 10 becomes and the more top heavy with movies voom appears with miniscule popular sports content.

theph0xx said:
So what your saying is that you believe that Voom will not get HDnet/InHD nor will it acquire its own content? Should I translate that as Voom is just going to roll over and die? :p:p
no what I am saying is that IMO voom will not be able to sign contracts to air major league sports due to its limited distribution base. The exposure for major league sports would be too small to be attractive and the cost for voom too high due to the small sub base. Voom does have the opportunity to get hdnet or inhd. So no one can rule that out entirely. I cannot predict the future, i dont think you will ever stop seeing content from rainbow1. Because if voom fails , charlie would love to buy it for bandwidth I would guess. You would just be paying your bill to E*.

It doesn't do any good for Voom to get "similar content" on their own channels - if what I want to watch is on HDNet or INHD.

For example, last night I think HDNet broadcast the US National Team (soccer) game vs. Honduras.

Yes, I LOOOOOOOOVE the fact that Voom has soccer on Worldsport - but I wanted to see the game HDNet was broadcasting.

To me, it's crucial that VOOM add these channels.

FunkyBoss said:
I don't have inHD or HDNet. How many live sporting events per week do they average?
not as many as espnhd but its not bad considering that everything you see will be HD and that these are not sports networks. Check out their schedules. IMO when you have next to nothing of something, getting any of it is great! Also the quality is impeccable at 1080i. Much nicer than espnhd's material.

www.hd.net

www.inhd.com

deArgila said:
It doesn't do any good for Voom to get "similar content" on their own channels - if what I want to watch is on HDNet or INHD.

For example, last night I think HDNet broadcast the US National Team (soccer) game vs. Honduras.

Yes, I LOOOOOOOOVE the fact that Voom has soccer on Worldsport - but I wanted to see the game HDNet was broadcasting.

To me, it's crucial that VOOM add these channels.

I was more referring to Voom getting ahold of MLB, NHL, soccer, etc just like HDNet/InHD but just not the same exact games. As far as I know those 2 do not have exclusive contracts, and in all sports there is much more room for more HD broadcasts.

What I did not mean was InHd has MLB, so Voom gets Cuban league baseball, or similarly HDNet gets NHL, while Voom does minor league hockey.

theph0xx said:
I was more referring to Voom getting ahold of MLB, NHL, soccer, etc just like HDNet/InHD but just not the same exact games. As far as I know those 2 do not have exclusive contracts, and in all sports there is much more room for more HD broadcasts.

What I did not mean was InHd has MLB, so Voom gets Cuban league baseball, or similarly HDNet gets NHL, while Voom does minor league hockey.

I know what you meant - but it still doesn't help if HDNet has the "exact" game I want to see and Voom doesn't.

theph0xx said:
me either but looking at the program schedule on their website for sports (http://www.inhd.com/sportsSchedule/sportsSchedules.jsp) I think I counted 11 events from June 3 to June 17... about half were NCAA baseball, nearly half MLB, and there was 1 or 2 MLS thrown in there.
3 MLB baseball games a week is 3 times as many as ESPN. For those of us whose RSN isn't HD capable, this would be really nice. Plus, InHD has done early round coverage of PGA events this year. For those of us whose CBS and ABC are total piece of crap losers (I'm sorry, it's my problem, I'll learn to live with it) who don't do HD, that's would also be nice. I want InHD because it has professional sports. Voom will NEVER get exclusive rights to a major professional sport. What D* did with the NFL should be unconstitutional . . . (again, my problem).

deArgila said:
I know what you meant - but it still doesn't help if HDNet has the "exact" game I want to see and Voom doesn't.

Your argument goes both ways, what if in the next instance Voom is playing the game that HDNet does not have that you desperately want to see?

If HDNet was soo crucial to you that you left Voom because they did not acquire it, then you would be missing out on the Voom exclusive.

If you are saying you are sticking with Voom no matter if they get HDNet or not then I see your point. You really would need HDnet to see ALL available content. I was aiming this thread more at people who will be dumping Voom if HDNet or InHD does not appear soon.

theph0xx said:
me either but looking at the program schedule on their website for sports (http://www.inhd.com/sportsSchedule/sportsSchedules.jsp) I think I counted 11 events from June 3 to June 17... about half were NCAA baseball, nearly half MLB, and there was 1 or 2 MLS thrown in there.
You do realize that that is better than espnhd? 11 out of 14days, with espnhd you typically wait a day or more between HD events.

cyuhnke said:
Voom will NEVER get exclusive rights to a major professional sport.

I'm not talking exclusive rights ala D*. I'm talking about rights in general. Clearly, InHd does not have exclusive rights to all MLB baseball games, what they do have is right to AIR some games. Voom could do the same. There's 10+ MLB games everyday I bet, I doubt all of them are being shown somewhere, and certainly not all in HD.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this argument was hinged on the GIANT IF that Voom can get ahold of some other content. I was merely trying to point out that there are other options and HDNet/InHD are not the end all of HD sporting events.

vurbano said:
You do realize that that is better than espnhd? 11 out of 14days, with espnhd you typically wait a day or more between HD events.

I never said what InHd is doing isnt good or desirable. And I also never made any comparison to ESPN-HD. Clearly, ESPN is at best the SD sports leader, and in no way is tops at HD.

you really see voom commiting HD trucks costing millions and numerous cameras costing 150k a piece to cover HD MLS, baseball, etc all accross the country? You have to make a commitment even before they will manufacturer a truck for renting, dont you? I just dont see voom having the bucks, hell they dont even have enough credit to spin off yet do they? Covering these sporting events is very expensive. And then there is a learing curve.

theph0xx said:
I'm not talking exclusive rights ala D*. I'm talking about rights in general. Clearly, InHd does not have exclusive rights to all MLB baseball games, what they do have is right to AIR some games. Voom could do the same. There's 10+ MLB games everyday I bet, I doubt all of them are being shown somewhere, and certainly not all in HD.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this argument was hinged on the GIANT IF that Voom can get ahold of some other content. I was merely trying to point out that there are other options and HDNet/InHD are not the end all of HD sporting events.

I guess I got wrapped up in the INHD debate w/o addressing your earlier post. Voom hasn't shown a willingness so far to spend money on quality exclusive content. I think this goes hand in hand to extending the no committment offer. It is possible Voom could add premium content like INHD, but I doubt it. I would think it'd be a better value to just aquire carriage of InHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts