Toshiba 32c120u new for bedroom set good price to performance value

tubetwister

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I bought this Toshiba 32C120U for a second set very good picture for $228.00 at BB. Amazon and others have it at this price also .

IMO excellent performance to price value I can tell you when you take it out of store mode (torch mode ) when you first get it adjust it decently or /calibrate it and set the back light it has a very good picture on Dish HD via HDMI and DVD's ,standard def signal does not begin to show it's capabilities . You tube,Netflix and web content consumption are good on this fun for web surfing on A PC via the VGA in with one on one pixel mapping . For productivity I use a high res dedicated PC monitor though . If you don't have a PC handy hook it up to a Roku 50 bucks and you have smart set .

Compared it side by side to similar priced $250 -$300.00 + ~Insignia,Vizio,Sony,
LG and Samsung models LCD and LED . All were 720p sets except one of the Insignia sets.

The Toshiba P.Q.bested all except The Sammy and Sony. The Toshiba and Sammy were equal or very close though. Not to say the LG and Vizeo were bad they were pretty good however IMO the Toshiba had a slight edge on P.Q..color and detail over all but the Sammy and Sony.

The Insignia s while OK couldn't quite match the LG,Sammy,Vizeo, Sony or Toshiba for picture quality they were decent and priced well though. I might add my 3 yr old 26"Dynex bedroom set just lost the power supply /inverter board so I'm a little hesitant to try another Dynex /Insignia set. I did order a tested replacement board for 25.00 on line so we will see how that goes should be a simple fix. The Dynex is being replaced by the Toshiba way better picture and sound I might add.

In perspective the picture on the Toshiba is great for what it is within it's limitations . A good buy in my opinion . A steal at at $ 228.00/$250.00 or so but at factory list $369.00 I would personally consider the Sony Bravia ,Panasonic, or Sammy.
Of course these comparisons were in store and not the best venue YMMV.

IMO it beat the comparable Viseo,LG,Insignias,W house. and
others and it nearly equaled or equaled the Sammy it was that close .IMO the Sony was out front over all
in color ,detail and smoothness .
As one would expect of Sony it was priced accordingly . That being said I have owned 2 Sony TV's picture quality and longevity were never an issue on the ones I owned. Same could be said of a Toshiba I owned also 25 yrs ago .

F.W.I.W. TV info web site reviewed The Toshiba 32C110u model ( almost identical set) measured post calibration max peak white on the Toshiba at 361.48 cd/m2 and black at 0.08 cd/m2 arriving at static contrast measure of 4519 that makes it able to provide a very bright decent picture in daylight if needed. I can say it does that well

The Toshiba can get bright and maintain good color ,detail and contrast with properly adjusted the back light settings
that is key to everything with this set turn Dynalight off set it 50 to 100 depending on room light and preferences . I set mine at 80 nice vibrant bright and yet detailed pix. The other fixed picture pre sets will give you options as well.
cnet gave this set a very favorable review after comparison, labratory calibration and evaluation they also published their reccomended calibration settings .
head over to cnet go look Google cnet Toshiba 32C120U review .

Other sites rate it a good very buy as well, here are cnets reccomended settings keep in mind they adjust for a dimly lit room so for a bright room using cnet settings to start I screwed my backlight to 80 works well good color good detail.
i prefer a bright picture YMMV.

Cnet calibrated settings

Picture Menu:
Picture mode: Preference
-- Picture settings menu:
Contrast: 80
Backlight: 47 note: I set mine at 80 for bright room/daylight
Dynalight: On note : I set my dynalight to off position
Brightness: 55
Color: 47
Tint: -10
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture Settings submenu:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Static Gamma: 3
Color Temperature: Warm
-- B Drive: -12
-- G Drive: -2
Cinema Mode: [grayed out]

Noise reduction menu:
DNR: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Game Mode: Off

Theater Settings menu:
Picture Size: Native
Picture Scroll: [grayed out]

Auto Aspect Ratio: Off
credit c net Toshiba C120U review.

These setting are a good starting point and can be adjusted to suite room light and viewing preferences .
best regards

Also picked up an RCA 50" Plasma new in box never opened clearance 2011 model at Best buy $359.00 no kidding! So far so good I read here that it likely has Samsung panel and boards in it but at that price it was almost a no brainer it has decent picture fairly bright panel spec is 500 cdm2 plays b/rays PS3 and dish HD well. This is my first Plasma so I've read a little bit about the care and feeding of Plasma's break in and full screen operation etc. here good forum btw.
best regards.

Thanks Mike. I like both sets bought the Toshiba Feb 14 and the RCA Plasma Feb 15 I like them both .
I forgot to mention if anyone gets a Toshiba LCD/LED first and most important thing when you first turn it on is take it out of store mode,

Immediately go to the menu then preference menu(third icon from left ),scroll all the way down to energy saver settings it is hidden way on the bottom, Then turn energy saver OFF otherwise the picture will be dark no matter what, then go back into picture menu turn off dynalight then advanced picture menu and turn off dynamic contrast I have my backlight set at 80 I like a bright picture some may like it at 60 or maybe even 90 . Turning off the energy setting is key it is probably only there so they can get the energy saver label .
Thankfully they left the option to turn it off.

Reading about Plasma sets here was very helpful in my decision to buy the RCA 50" in addition to the Toshiba it plays well good picture and was no brainier for me at the price $349.00 new on clearance unopened box BB only had 2 of them .I paid $650.00 for the first 27"trinitron back in 94 it was still working very well when I gave it away in 2007 .

I've had one Toshiba prior to this a 19"long time ago good set though , one 27"Sony trinitron crt the ubiquitous black one ,a 36" Sony Wega xbr HD crt and a 32 inch Sharp flat tube all had good had pictures but these new ones are better. Good forum here.

I had 2 RCA tube sets back in the 70's they weren't the most reliable things around back then but no worse than anything else
but that was different time and different RCA back then. Hopefully the ON corp. The RCA brand current licencees can bring it around .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)