Toshiba A-3 remote: penny wise - pound foolish?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
As near as I can tell, there don't seem to be any reasonably priced universal remotes that will operate the Toshiba HD-A3 (other than semi-expensive learning remotes) and the remote that comes with the player is NOT a universal type - it will operate NOTHING other than the A-3.

To me that's stupid and short sighted and just the sort of thing that can turn off potential customers. After the aggravation of getting all your stuff on one remote, they expect you to stick this puny looking, un-back-lit, non-universal, poorly laid out, sorry excuse for a remote on your table.

Even if you accept that, what do you do if say, your cute little 20 month old flushes the pukey A-3 remote down the toilet. Even if you do spring for a Harmony or Pronto, you'd still have to wait for a factory replacement for it to learn from. Yup, pisses me off I can tell ya.:mad:

Have you tried any of the One-For-All remotes? Their learning remotes can handle just about anything, and the price is right. My $80 Harmony 670 has no problem with my Toshiba A2, I imagine it would be the same for the A3, and no need for the original remote to learn from. If you haven't already, check out Welcome to Remote Central: Universal Remote Control Reviews & More!, in particular their forums, might be some good info there...

Even if you do spring for a Harmony or Pronto, you'd still have to wait for a factory replacement for it to learn from.
Nope. The harmony's download the device programming from a library on the net. You should not need aremote for it to learn from.

Yes the factory remote is on the weak side. Basic at best. My A-3 is easily controlled by my Harmony 880 without any other programming than going online.

As near as I can tell, there don't seem to be any reasonably priced universal remotes that will operate the Toshiba HD-A3 (other than semi-expensive learning remotes) and the remote that comes with the player is NOT a universal type - it will operate NOTHING other than the A-3.

To me that's stupid and short sighted and just the sort of thing that can turn off potential customers. After the aggravation of getting all your stuff on one remote, they expect you to stick this puny looking, un-back-lit, non-universal, poorly laid out, sorry excuse for a remote on your table.

Not only that, you have to clearly point it at the player for it to even respond to the remote. My A-3 is a little out of sight from where I sit and I have to stand up everytime I need to use the remote. Why don't I just move the A-3 to a different location, you ask? Not as easy as it sounds with the current setup I have. It's actually less of a hassle to stand then to move the player to a new location. :no

Not only that, you have to clearly point it at the player for it to even respond to the remote. My A-3 is a little out of sight from where I sit and I have to stand up everytime I need to use the remote. Why don't I just move the A-3 to a different location, you ask? Not as easy as it sounds with the current setup I have. It's actually less of a hassle to stand then to move the player to a new location. :no

Why do either? Just get an IR repeater.

NightRyder

Even if you accept that, what do you do if say, your cute little 20 month old flushes the pukey A-3 remote down the toilet. Even if you do spring for a Harmony or Pronto, you'd still have to wait for a factory replacement for it to learn from. Yup, pisses me off I can tell ya.:mad:
Don't have ankle-biters around that will flush your good stuff down the toilet!!!

There are remote codes for Toshiba players. However, most people are better off using a learning universal remote. I'm definitely not a fan of the glow-in-the dark buttons on the A2/A20 remote.

I found this thread on AVS
Interesting remote codes for Toshiba HD DVD players - AVS Forum

code 21769

Just in case anyone needs it, I have an HD-A2 and this code works perfectly with my DirecTV RC64r remote that came with my HR20-700 HD DVR, 21769

Harmonies are not the only learning universal remotes out there. There are cheaper ones from Philips, GE and (ironically named) Universal Remote Control (URC). There's no need to pay more than $40 for a BACKLIT learning remote. There's no need to pay more than $20 (Philips at Lowe's or WallyWorld) for one that isn't.

Harmonies are not the only learning universal remotes out there. There are cheaper ones from Philips, GE and (ironically named) Universal Remote Control (URC). There's no need to pay more than $40 for a BACKLIT learning remote. There's no need to pay more than $20 (Philips at Lowe's or WallyWorld) for one that isn't.
You must not need macros. That is a reason for buying a better remote.

Got the Kamelion from allinone. Great learning remote.

Bought it at Best Buy with a 4 year PRP. (I have 3 "Ankle biters") and do not want to risk the $70.

If it gets messed up Ill exchange it with the PRP. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)