Toshiba HD-A1 $399 + tax + shipping

$399 sounds good. But when you add shipping (in my case, $25.04 overnight or $20.24 second day), add handling ($7.95), add the cost of two free disks (around $60, I think), you will end up with about the same price that ValueElectronics is charging, but without any guarantee to get it from the first US allocation (especially if ecost.com is not a Toshiba Authorized Dealer)... ;)

As Ilya says, ecost is not an authorized Toshiba dealer and I doubt they will see any HD DVD players from the first allocations. Also, after you add up all of the extra ecost charges and no free DVDs your final delivered cost is about the same as VE.

Brewer, everyone gets two free HD DVDs from my company and a $25 gift certificate good towards the purchase of your third DVD. If you ordered before we were giving two and Toshiba's gift certificate your order will be upgraded to include all of the promotions.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
As Ilya says, ecost is not an authorized Toshiba dealer and I doubt they will see any HD DVD players from the first allocations. Also, after you add up all of the extra ecost charges and no free DVDs your final delivered cost is about the same as VE.

Brewer, everyone gets two free HD DVDs from my company and a $25 gift certificate good towards the purchase of your third DVD. If you ordered before we were giving two and Toshiba's gift certificate your order will be upgraded to include all of the promotions.

-Robert

Dude (I mean it respectfully), you rock!! Thats awesome. Why would you purchase anywhere else?

I originally asked for Batman Begins. I just went to your site and I see the different offer. Should I keep it Batman or email with one of the choices mentioned on the page? If I cant have Batman then Million Dollar Baby would be cool.

If you stick with Batman Begins we will ship it at no charge when it becomes available, which is expected to be on or about 4/28.

Since we are selling any of Warner's HD DVD titles for $25.00, free shipping and no tax you can select as many titles as you like to be shipped when they become available.

Brewer4, you are the best!

-Robert

WHat are the major differences between the two models? I looked at the comparison and dont see anything significant except the RS232 connection. Is that difference worth 300 bucks?

1. Motion-activated remote
2. Heavier, more solid chassis
3. RS-232 interface for rack-mount installations
4. Motorized front door.

Ilya said:
1. Motion-activated remote
2. Heavier, more solid chassis
3. RS-232 interface for rack-mount installations
4. Motorized front door.

OK Im feeling dumb

Motion activated remote?

What does RS232 do for me? Serial cable control of the unit? Does that make the more expensive unit more firmware upgradeable? Since both have ethernet I would think it could be done that way

Ah ha the ax1 also has USB. Stream from a hard drive?

Last edited:
vurbano said:
OK Im feeling dumb

Motion activated remote?

Basically it lights up when you touch it. ;)

What does RS232 do for me? Serial cable control of the unit?
Yes, just a remote control. It makes it easier to control various components in big home theater installations.

Does that make the more expensive unit more firmware upgradeable?
No. Both units are upgradable via Ethernet and perhaps via USB.

Basically, if you are looking for a top of the line player and especially if you have tens or hundreds of thousands invested in your home theater, go for the XA1. If you are looking for a less expensive solution (and are not concerned about the effects of vibration caused by your subwoofers on the player mechanism ;)) go for the A1.

My personal guess is that both of them will be great players. Think about it: Toshiba has only one shot at this, so they can't afford to do it wrong.

colofan said:
Are there any other brands coming out in the near future?
RCA was going to make a $499 HD DVD player HDV5000. Which, as I understand will be essentially Toshiba's HD-A1 in a different case.
Other HD DVD supporters have not announced any players yet. LG was going to make an HD DVD player, as well as a Blu-ray player, but now they are thinking of a dual-format player instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)