Traditional Providers Losses, 3rd Quarter 2023 Edition

I’d have to look it up, but I think I’ve been with Dish over 20 years and my contract is about up.

I noticed the other night that it’s been WEEKS since we’ve DVR’d anything on Dish. They really have lost the shows we like: Project Runway et al, Veterinarian shows (especially Dr Jeff-yes, there’s still Dr Pol, but they’ve ruined that show), Zoo shows, Food Trucks, British Baking, Top Chef, etc.

Some may well return, but others have moved to streaming or the Great Beyond.

We watch mostly YT now, and old DVR’d content, plus MPT (only at our RV in WV, for only 7 months of the year).

I’ve been happy with Dish. But we will have to decide if it’s worth the cost anymore.

I sure hope Charlie has another rabbit to pull out of his hat.

We're paying $90/mo for 1gb down 35mb up from Cox, and another $50 for unlimited data
I'm paying Cox Business $170/mo because I have a SOHO account that (1) has no data limits, (2) has no blocked ports and (3) has a static IP because I run servers at home. This usurious rate gets me only 200/20. :(
it’s been WEEKS since we’ve DVR’d anything on Dish.
I DVR a number of programs on the Smithsonian channel, Stargate off COMET, PBS shows Nova and Nature and several others, and an occasional movie here and there.

Reactions: navychop
Don’t you have Verizon FiOS as a broadband option? That’s what I have. We don’t live that far apart.

I DVR a number of programs on the Smithsonian channel, Stargate off COMET, PBS shows Nova and Nature and several others, and an occasional movie here and there.
All of that is streaming, at a much less expensive price, for example all of Stargate is now on Amazon Prime.

I’d have to look it up, but I think I’ve been with Dish over 20 years and my contract is about up.

I noticed the other night that it’s been WEEKS since we’ve DVR’d anything on Dish. They really have lost the shows we like: Project Runway et al, Veterinarian shows (especially Dr Jeff-yes, there’s still Dr Pol, but they’ve ruined that show), Zoo shows, Food Trucks, British Baking, Top Chef, etc.

Some may well return, but others have moved to streaming or the Great Beyond.

We watch mostly YT now, and old DVR’d content, plus MPT (only at our RV in WV, for only 7 months of the year).

I’ve been happy with Dish. But we will have to decide if it’s worth the cost anymore.

I sure hope Charlie has another rabbit to pull out of his hat.
For everything you mention, your streaming bill would only be around $20-30 a month.

For example, all those animal, food shows would be on Discovery+ for $9.99 a month commercial free, or HBOMAX for $15/20 (4K).

Amazon Prime is great for the content you like, subscribe to Brit Box for one month, catch up, drop, subscribe to PBS the next month ( just giving out examples).

Only you can decide if paying Dish is worth over $100 a month for not much new content and basically a digital locker.

I have also read you can put your Dish account on vacation at $5 a month, but still access your DVR, do that , clear out the DVR and try out streaming.

Reactions: navychop
We have subscribed to Acorn and AppleTV for certain series. Then bust.

But I will have to look into this.

I'll be curious to see Charter's broadband numbers.
Tomorrow.

Curious if video takes a bigger hit , during the 3rd quarter was the Disney fight.

Charter is out, way up from 2nd quarter which was 200,000, now at 320,000, a increase of 120,000, which is incredible since 3rd quarter is usually good for Paid Live TV Providers because of the return of Football.

Some might say the increase in losses was due to the Disney fight, but since the deal was done to bring those channels back on September 11, they had 3 weeks in the reported quarter to gain them back.

Spectrum says video revenue is down about 8.6%, which helps explain why they are moving to streaming, to help cut down on costs

They also lost over 288,000 voice customers but gained 63,000 internet customers and 594,000 wireless customers.

So at this point last quarter, we were at 790,000 with the same three companies reporting, now at 840,000 this quarter, already at an increase of 50,000.

And again, traditionally it goes up, Football, kids returning to college, but obviously those students are no longer adding Paid Live Tv to dorms, apartments, rented homes.

At this pace, by the end of all the reports , we could surpass all of 2022 ( 5.9 million) in just the first 3 quarters of 2023, if not, come close, then 4th quarter definitely will go over.

So far, with the first two quarters added in, we are at 4,785,000 lost, only about 1.2 Million less then all of 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncted
Some might say the increase in losses was due to the Disney fight, but since the deal was done to bring those channels back on September 11, they had 3 weeks in the reported quarter to gain them back.

Spectrum says video revenue is down about 8.6%, which helps explain why they are moving to streaming, to help cut down on costs

They also lost over 288,000 voice customers but gained 63,000 internet customers and 594,000 wireless customers.
Well, the CSRs telling people to sign up for live streaming platforms to get ESPN probably wouldn't have helped with the video numbers or getting any that cancelled back when the dispute was over. My parents are pretty happy with YTTV after about 5 weeks. Cut their video bill in half. The only thing they really miss is Spectrum One news.

If Spectrum's streaming solution with the Xumo box was good enough and the price for service was competitive with YTTV, they probably would've been a good target customer for it, but it looks like it is still going to be overpriced.

If Spectrum's streaming solution with the Xumo box was good enough and the price for service was competitive with YTTV, they probably would've been a good target customer for it, but it looks like it is still going to be overpriced.
Did not post cutting costs for subscribers, cutting costs for Charter going streaming.

Same thing with DirecTV, streaming is now the same price as Satellite, yet DirecTV is no longer having to do installs with streaming, so is that savings ( no installs) passed to customer….nope.

I changed my numbers for Charter/Spectrum, was 368,000, found out 48,000 were business customers lost, so now says 320,000.

I was thinking traditional linear TV would be dead by the end of the decade, but it might be before then!
A few keep saying they will stick with ( insert provider’s name) until they are the last subscriber left.

It does not work that way, a service can still have a lot of subs, but become unprofitable because of Cord Cutting/Nevers/Dying.

That is a closer time for Satellite TV because they do not have broadband to fall back on.

DirecTV has about 2.5 years left if the rate of losses do not increase, but they will.

Dish has the money pit of it’s 5G Spectrum, even if they monetize it, that will cost billions and time to do.

Verizon and T-Mobile added 941,000 5G home internet customers in the 3rd quarter of 2023. That is up from the 890,000 they added in the 2nd quarter 2023.

The only reason I am bringing this up, is because when Cord Cutting started for video, Cable/Satellite thought it was just a fab, no one wants just Netflix and YouTube ( at the time), streaming will not work, things will be back to normal, well since Cable/Satellite has lost , roughly, 45 Million subscribers, as of now, roughly, 15 Million in the last 3 years, not back to normal.

Now they are risking the same with broadband, as with video, which all they did was keep raising the price and providing less and less new content.

With broadband, just keep raising the price, promise of faster service, most do not need faster then gigabit at this point, which then costs $50-100 more ( see Comcast).

Just like their video service, they had a limited time to fix what was wrong, they ignored it, now it is too late, will they do the same for their broadband business.

Verizon and T-Mobile added 941,000 5G home internet customers in the 3rd quarter of 2023. That is up from the 890,000 they added in the 2nd quarter 2023.

The only reason I am bringing this up, is because when Cord Cutting started for video, Cable/Satellite thought it was just a fab, no one wants just Netflix and YouTube ( at the time), streaming will not work, things will be back to normal, well since Cable/Satellite has lost , roughly, 45 Million subscribers, as of now, roughly, 15 Million in the last 3 years, not back to normal.

Now they are risking the same with broadband, as with video, which all they did was keep raising the price and providing less and less new content.

With broadband, just keep raising the price, promise of faster service, most do not need faster then gigabit at this point, which then costs $50-100 more ( see Comcast).

Just like their video service, they had a limited time to fix what was wrong, they ignored it, now it is too late, will they do the same for their broadband business.

My guess is those ADDS won't maintain themselves, due to the crappy performance/dependability of 5G Internet. I had first hand experience with T-Mobile...Horrible!

Reactions: ncted
My guess is those ADDS won't maintain themselves, due to the crappy performance/dependability of 5G Internet. I had first hand experience with T-Mobile...Horrible!
And I have seen reports/postings that says it is great, including here.

And that is my point, as time goes on , the services will get better, just as cord cutting started, the only option was Netflix, but as time went on, more and more were available, then in just 6-7 years, cable/satellite has lost 45 Million subscribers.

There is always a start point, cable/satellite video subscriber loss started in 2017, this year is now their broadband services turn, will they ignore it as they did with video, or try to fight back.

Yeah, I still think the long term viability of 5G home internet is limited. To get decent speeds with capacity for lots of users, they need to use higher frequencies which do not travel far. It will be a thing in places in cities, but it will max out towers and backhaul while using up spectrum required for regular cellular users.

Yeah, I still think the long term viability of 5G home internet is limited. To get decent speeds with capacity for lots of users, they need to use higher frequencies which do not travel far.
I think a outdoor antenna could help with that.
It will be a thing in places in cities, but it will max out towers and backhaul while using up spectrum required for regular cellular users.
Since that is where the majority of subscribers are, it could still hurt Comcast, Charter and the likes.

My former subdivision back in Michigan, about 25 minutes outside Detroit, now has T-Mobile available and my old neighbor said it has been solid, no drops or slow downs yet.

They need to update for increased use, but I have no hopes it will reach me here.