Transfered shows wont play...

MartyMcFly

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I own 2 Dish VIP722's. I had some content on one of them and I bought an external Hdd to put them on. I hooked up the external Hdd and transfered everything I wanted. I checked the shows and they all played on the External Hdd. A couple of days later I decided to transfer them back to my Internal Hdd. I did this and then when I tried to watch them on the Internal Hdd I had a MAJOR problem. When I click to watch any of these shows all I get is a black screen and after 5-15 seconds it stopps and shoots me back to the info screen. It appears like the show is still there. One of them is even still taking up almost 10 GB. So I know the show is still there.
The External is a WD 320 GB My book Essential edition. I dont think its the External Hdd tho. Thing is that I did have some of the shows protected when I transfered them...I dont think that would matter but you never know...
So am I screwed or what???

If you mean unhooking the power cord and waiting 60 seconds and then plugging it back in...Ive tried that. Doesnt help.
This Sucks...
Some of the stuff that I appear to have lost is replaceable...But one show isnt. I had a Chicago Cubs game recorded that I attended with my brother and we were both on tv...the announcer even commented on us.

I was on the line with Dish...They told me that you are only allowed to copy a show back and forth something like 2-3 times. And that the reason that I cant view the programs is that some kind of copy protection is blocking the programs. I asked them if they could remove it since they NEVER mentioned that when I ordered the USB service. They told me that they cant do that and that the only people that could do that is the station who broadcast it. I told them that THEY broadcast it thru their system. But they told me too bad...
IM PISSED!!!!!

I was on the line with Dish...They told me that you are only allowed to copy a show back and forth something like 2-3 times. And that the reason that I cant view the programs is that some kind of copy protection is blocking the programs. I asked them if they could remove it since they NEVER mentioned that when I ordered the USB service. They told me that they cant do that and that the only people that could do that is the station who broadcast it. I told them that THEY broadcast it thru their system. But they told me too bad...
IM PISSED!!!!!
THEY WERE WRONG!! The limitation on moves was removed almost a year ago. I have moved movies back and forth at LEAST a half dozen times. It has nothing to do with copy protection. Did you talk to someone in Tech Support, or did you just talk a front line CSR ? Are your other recordings (ones that weren't transferred) playing correctly?

BTW, you should unplug and wait 5 minutes. And HAVE you tried transferring back?

I kinda figured they were lying or didnt know their ass from a hole in the ground...
I have tried transfering them back. they just wont play no matter what. I am currently doing the 5 minute reset...
Yep I only talked to the low level guy, they didnt seem to want to help me or let me talk to another higher up guy. All of my other recordings are playing fine...
Please someone help!!!

I kinda figured they were lying or didnt know their ass from a hole in the ground...
I have tried transfering them back. they just wont play no matter what. I am currently doing the 5 minute reset...
Yep I only talked to the low level guy, they didnt seem to want to help me or let me talk to another higher up guy. All of my other recordings are playing fine...
Please someone help!!!
We really can't help you. All the ideas are out there. Call back and get Tech Support. Your unit may be going bad. If so, they will replace. Is your receiver in a WELL ventilated area????

What do you mean you cant help? You mean that there is nothing I can do? Or that the answer is some type of hacking?

I had problems with my external drive after I received the new purple G3 smartcards. I had to have the 622 reset the encryption on the recorded events on the EHD. If you didn't do this, all you will see is blackness.

If this not the case, then never mind. Also, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I've got close to two TB of recordings on my external drives and I'd hate to lose them all.

Foxbat, I think you might be onto something here. It seems to me that my troubles occured when I tried to transfer the recordings from one of my 722's to the other. I already called Dish and asked them if the copyrights were somehow blocking the shows and they said that the copy limits were imposed by the channels themselves. But If its the decryption on either of my recievers that is blocking the program then they should be able to unblock it right?
Oh I am using the front USB port. But I have tried the back one also ...Neither one work..