Tried fta on small dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pickone4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
wisconsin
As far as trying to a dishnetwork or directv dish for fta, don't bother! I tried to use a EA dish, which was a no go. Guess I will have to use the big 36 inch one in the front, I wonder how long it will take for it to disappear, or for kids get after it.

I got it working right away on the 36 inch fta dish, lots of J(g)ibberish channels on 97w. It's definitely really cool to see the channel list grow when doing the blind scan. Glad I didn't sell any of it.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
It depends on what you're trying to get. I have a 18" with a PLL fixed on 97W for Ebru, another on 95W for CCTV, a motorized 18" for the occasional ITC channels and they all work pretty well.

It depends on what you're trying to get. I have a 18" with a PLL fixed on 97W for Ebru, another on 95W for CCTV, a motorized 18" for the occasional ITC channels and they all work pretty well.

Must require a lot of patience, and fiddling. I got a lnb mount from hypermegasat to put on the smaller dish.

Nice setup!
How many channels do you get (with acceptable Q) on 97W with the 18" reflector?

Thanks! When I first scanned in all the channels there was about 160 that scanned in, IIRC. I only cared about EBRU, so I don't know about the others, I deleted all of them.

I did try KTV, but that wasn't strong enough to stay up reliably. RT use to be good with good Q but it seems to be gone now, I have 0 for Q on that now. Ebru comes in good and the Q is usually right around 60 -70% on my MicroHD, on overcast days it will drop into the 50's but still play all right, it never goes out unless it's raining heavily. I Film English always has good Q but there's never anything on there I want to watch!

A PLL LNB made a huge difference for stability, with standard linear LNBs the reliability wasn't so great.

Must require a lot of patience, and fiddling. I got a lnb mount from hypermegasat to put on the smaller dish.

It's not too bad using my FS1 meter, without that though I'd think it'd be very hard. I wouldn't suggest anyone to try it for their first dish setup, or if they do, to keep in mind that a bigger dish is much easier to setup. With the small dishes, just a touch one way or another and the signal is gone. It is a pain to get the bolts tightened down without moving the dish but that might be just me, I'm one of those people that over tightens everything.

The motorized dish was the worse and was hard, I almost gave up on that but I had a old SG2100 that wasn't strong enough to move anything else and I was determined to use it for something. Which it's nice now that it's setup, if something is temporarily ITC I just swing that dish around to it.

The first mounts that I tried I'd made from old DT LNBs but I switched them for some mounts I'd bought off of Amazon for a couple of bucks. Before I'd mounted them I put the original LNB into the arm and then bent the replacement bracket to the same angle as the original. The ones that I'd bought were nowhere near the angle that they needed to be at!

Status
Please reply by conversation.