tried to take dish camping "note tried"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rpikejr

Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
ohio
I packed spare dish oval 3 lnb.took receiver from spare rm. hooked it all up acording to info from receiver.could not get a signal no matter what I tried I even had help from a guy next to me with same setup.We even tried his dish.So I called directv and they said I need to get a rv dish and pay a mirroring fee of 5 bucks a month.I thought that I already paid this mirroring fee ihave four receivers in my home.also got home hooked it all up in yard worked fine?? what am I doing wrong??

If the same dish and cables are working at home, you just didn't hit the satellite. Were there any obstructions?

If all you were shooting for was SD, it should be quite easy. If you're positive that your mast was plumb you probably had the dish elevation too high (or too low) The 101 is the only sat you need to hit and it is usually super easy to find. I tailgate all the time but before each football season I try my whole setup at home. when I get to the game I can literally have a signal in 90 seconds. I'm sure you will be able to also, once you know you have things set correctly. Don't give up. Try it at home under somewhat controlled conditions and use the audible signal screen to assist. Good luck!:cool:

If the same dish and cables are working at home, you just didn't hit the satellite. Were there any obstructions?
There was no obstructions.I leveled the mast pipe and set it all up as directed.I even tried it set up as single lnb.
I mainly thought that my dish was malfunctining.
I would like to ask someone to clarify that allI need is my spare receiver a good card in the receiver and a functional lnb unit?I dont need to pay any extra fees or anything of that nature.

If all you were shooting for was SD, it should be quite easy. If you're positive that your mast was plumb you probably had the dish elevation too high (or too low) The 101 is the only sat you need to hit and it is usually super easy to find. I tailgate all the time but before each football season I try my whole setup at home. when I get to the game I can literally have a signal in 90 seconds. I'm sure you will be able to also, once you know you have things set correctly. Don't give up. Try it at home under somewhat controlled conditions and use the audible signal screen to assist. Good luck!:cool:
I have done it at home with no changes from what it was at when I tried it at the campground. tilt41* approx facing 225*sw all of about a 2 min job.Worked fine.I am also starting to think my compass may be off by about 30*to the west.Thx for your reply

Yes, it should work. Next time try moving the dish further in each direction. If that doesn't work, try a different elevation by one degree and try again. Then go the other way with elevation.

You might want to pick up a round dish, much easier to point.

Sometimes when you start connecting things and aiming dishes a reset of the receiver is needed to get it working. I've been camping a couple of times and knocked my head against the wall trying to get it set up knowing how to point dishes and the damn receiver would show no signal. A reset would fix the issue. Also until you get some practice i'd scrap the 3 LNB dish and just get a simple oval dish which only needs 101 to view. You complicate things with multiple LNB's and skew and for someone just starting out it can be more of a PIA than it is worth. Ebay has them really cheap. Practice in your yard before you go so you don't spend your entire trip pissed off that you can't lock down signal.

It does take some practice but is easy once you get the hang of it. We have a Motosat SL5 now which alleviates the issue all together.

I'd echo the Single LNB Dish.

Much easier to aim and much easier to transport than the bigger dishes.

I use one at the vacation spot and had no issues getting it set up. Others in the park have also tried multiple LNB setups and have had the same frustrating scenario play out.

Driving through the park and looking, I'd say 99% of the dishes I see are the single LNB 18" dishes.

You said "my spare receiver a good card in the receiver and a functional lnb unit?"

Access cards are married to receivers, you can't move them. You're spare receiver needs to be active on the account with it's own card (obviously $5/mo).

Not sure that would affect your ability to check for signal (still sounds like you missed the sat), but you couldn't move the cards between receivers and get programming.

Seems to me you are missing the satellite.

I would recommend for your next trip to get a single LNBF dish, a good compass, and an SF95L satellite signal meter (or the kit version SF95LK).

Also, check the connectors on your cable. One may have came loose or the strands of wire are touching causing a short.

Winegard-Travel-WGD18Daul-DirecTV-Dish.JPG

I highly recommend before going on a trip with a dish system to try it at your own home first and make sure you are comfortable with the way everything works.:)

Once you get on the road a cabling or splitter in the RV wiring problem is very hard to correct. :confused:

You said "my spare receiver a good card in the receiver and a functional lnb unit?"

Access cards are married to receivers, you can't move them. You're spare receiver needs to be active on the account with it's own card (obviously $5/mo).

Not sure that would affect your ability to check for signal (still sounds like you missed the sat), but you couldn't move the cards between receivers and get programming.
I should have said the receiver that I use in our spare rm.I would say your probrably right missing the bird I think Ill get a single lnb and take my setup across town to my parents and set it up there and see if I can get it to work.

Seems to me you are missing the satellite.

I would recommend for your next trip to get a single LNBF dish, a good compass, and an SF95L satellite signal meter (or the kit version SF95LK).

Also, check the connectors on your cable. One may have came loose or the strands of wire are touching causing a short.

Winegard-Travel-WGD18Daul-DirecTV-Dish.JPG
I have a sat finder kit.It looks to be the same as the kit pictured on your link.I got it locally at parts express in middletown.I was using a tripod similar to yours.

I have a sat finder kit.It looks to be the same as the kit pictured on your link.I got it locally at parts express in middletown.I was using a tripod similar to yours.

Ok if u used a similair sat finder, did it power up or light up when you connected the receiver end to it? If not, then you having a wiring issue or a splitter inline. start from the box and work your way to outside to check ALL connections. Something as simple as an aluminum braid wrapped around the copper can give you hell.

i have a slimline SL3PIG-Z it has 4 connectors coming off from it and i only have one reciever and one cable coming into the building. which cable should i use and what do i do with the other 3 cables?

i have a slimline SL3PIG-Z it has 4 connectors coming off from it and i only have one reciever and one cable coming into the building. which cable should i use and what do i do with the other 3 cables?

WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

With just one receiver you only need one or two cables (two if DVR). The others can just be disconnected. Doesn't matter which of the four ports you use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)