triple LNB direct dish on DISH sub.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
To give you the short version Im helping a friend whos had to move
and leave his DISH dish but got a receiver .
We tried to adapt a twin dual Legacy LNB to a single LNB Sony dish
I gave him with so so results.Now have acquired a triple Direct TV
dish that says it gets 101,110.119.
What king of results can we expect with using it on DISH receiver
and trying to pick up 110,119.
How should it be aimed and skewed?
What switch should be used?
It looks like each LNB has its own feed,so which end is the 101?
Im guessing its the one on the left looking at the back of dish.

Why didn't your friend call Dish for the Dishmover program.

They would have installed a new dish for free.

I doubt you're going to have success with a Dish receiver and Direct lnbs. They simply won't talk to each other.

fred

I gave him with so so results.Now have acquired a triple Direct TV
dish that says it gets 101,110.119.
What king of results can we expect with using it on DISH receiver
and trying to pick up 110,119.

no results. It wont work. Here is why

the LNB for 110 (the middle one) is a special LNB. It takes TP 28,30,32 (that Direct owns) and turns them into 8,10,12 and combines them with 119. The 101 LNB is fine. Also DirecTV uses 22k switching to go between 101 & 119. Dish uses their own switch technique

Also the only LNB that is the correct one is the 101 one. It covers the DBS spectrum (TP 1-32). The 110 one is a special one and 119 only covers 22-32 (the TP's that DirecTV owns).

Get the dishmover program. Much easier :)

We were just trying to be cheap...
he call DISH and they said the dishmover package was $70.
I guess that the single LNBs for Direct is different because we used one
and got DISH just fine with it.
Ice youre a wealth of info thanks
I guess the other option is to use the Legacy twin dual LNB and hack off the dish triple
mount and use the duals Y yoke.From waht I remember about his receiver it works fine
with a Legacy dual,we just used the dish 500 option for setup and no switch.

A dish receiver will work with a DirecTV single (dual, whatever you wanna call it) LNB but it will only pick up one satellite. You can use two DirecTV dishes and a generic multiswitch or a sw21 switch. DirecTV equipment and Dish LEGACY equipment are pretty much interchangable until you get into DirecTV's integrated switches. Seems like it would be simple enough to 'acquire' a Dish 500 though...God knows I've thrown enough of them away.

Weve been looking for a DISH 500 here and cant find one.
Yea I would think they would be landfill material too especially
since we have a dual legacy LNB and Y yoke already.

As Scott says, the directv lnbs are equivalent to dish legacy equipment except for a Sat C LNB which as Iceberg points out, translated transponders. If one used 3 standard LNBs in a triple dish (not the one that used 1 integrated LNB) and could find an SW64 or SW44 and SW21 combo, that would make the equivalent of a dish 1000.
I found a couple of dish 500s on the local "free" sections of the newspaper or craigs list from people wanting to get rid of stuff. Both were Dish Pro Twin LNBs and almost new dish pans. I still have an old directv 3 LNB dish and one day may use it as a dish 1000, but only if I get lots of free time.
Miner

dishmover is free with dhpp, or free with a 24month commit. if you dont want those options, call apartment complexes in your city. apartments are a great place to find old dishes and lnbs not in use anymore. about once a month i will see a whole 500 dish assembly at the dumpster left over form old tenants.usually on a bucket mount completely intact. couple months ago found me a dish1000 plus complete with an intregated ota antenna that mounts on top of the dish with the 44switch hanging off the side of the bucket. all i had to do was pick up the power inserter.

Been searching CL with no luck
I think everyone around here just abandons the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)