Trying to remove a dent in a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Likvid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
I have a dish where i try to remove the dent in it but i fail as tried to smooth it out and it's gone but it seems the tension is moving around so if i smooth it out it will come up in another place close to the original spot.

Is there any way to remove a dent safely in a aluminium dish? the dent just seems to move around....

It's stretched the metal.
Is this a solid aluminum or mesh? (I'll take a stab at both)
Solid-Only way I know of "how to shrink metal" is heat and then cool rapidly. Warm it up with a torch, apply a cold wet rag.
Mesh-probably remove the panel. Roll it (or?) to flatten out the imperfections. Would probably have to trim it to fit as this may stretch it some.

I straightened a mesh panel by removing it then laying it on my shop concrete floor with the bent side facing up. I then took a large rubber mallet and proceeded to flatten it out. When I went to reinstall it it worked better upside down instead of like it was when I removed it. This was a panel that was held on with screws on my 7.5ft SAMI dish.

My 10ft Winegard dish has several panels that have extensive hail damage but those are captured in a way that I can't remove them without cutting some metal away on the outer edge of the dish frame and I really don't want to do that. I have pushed some of those hail dents out with my thumb from the back side though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Change openbox 16 hd to west usa satellites?

LPB on 87W Ku STRONG!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)