TV2 combined with Antenna

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I just got a LCD HDTV to replace my sd tv in my bedroom which is hooked up to TV2 Ch 60 from a 311. I have an outdoor antenna hooked up to to my 622 in the living room. So I split the antenna, one feed to the 622, the other to my LCD. I used a splitter to combine the TV2 cable with the antenna.

The first splitter made CH60 real fuzzy, but I got all the local hd channels fine. So I purchased a new regular 2way splitter and it didn't fix it. So I purchased a 2 way sat, antenna to TV splitter.

I hooked the antenna up to the antenna side and the ch 60 feed to the sat and it's still fuzzy. So I switched the antenna and ch60 feed and I lost half of my local HD channels but CH 60 cleared up.

What kind of splitter do I need? The people at Radio Shack couldn't help.

Thanks.

On the regular splitter are you connecting it in reverse. The antenna and the TV2 output should be connected to the outputs of the splitter, and the line heading to your tv should be connected to the input of splitter. The TV2 output should be set to Air not Cable.

On the regular splitter are you connecting it in reverse. The antenna and the TV2 output should be connected to the outputs of the splitter, and the line heading to your tv should be connected to the input of splitter. The TV2 output should be set to Air not Cable.

I have it hooked up that way. When I use the regular splitter it makes ch 60 fuzzy. When I used the sat/antenna splitter ch 60 clears up when connect to the sat side but I loose half my HD locals.

When the antenna is hooked up to the antenna side all locals come in but ch 60 is fuzzy.

A UHF-VHF diplexer does a good job of joining only if one is UHF and the other VHF with slightly less loss than a n-way feed. If it says DC pass then it is a SAT-RF diplexer and not suitable.

You did not identify your channels before remapping and will they change next month when some will use their old VHF channels.

In any case you can use normal n-way splitter as a combiner. The 622/722 only outputs UHF while your OTA channels may be either UHF or VHF.

Different rules for multiplexing a SAT signal with the Antenna and/or RF output.
-Ken

A UHF-VHF diplexer does a good job of joining only if one is UHF and the other VHF with slightly less loss than a n-way feed. If it says DC pass then it is a SAT-RF diplexer and not suitable.

You did not identify your channels before remapping and will they change next month when some will use their old VHF channels.

In any case you can use normal n-way splitter as a combiner. The 622/722 only outputs UHF while your OTA channels may be either UHF or VHF.

Different rules for multiplexing a SAT signal with the Antenna and/or RF output.
-Ken

The normal splitter makes ch 60 fuzzy. So there really isn't a solution? I will eventually upgrade to a 222k and will connect the tv using HDMI, but until then it sounds like I need to run separate cables for the antenna and TV2 out. My TV does have 2 coax inputs luckily!

Again, I'm not using the TV2 out from my 622. I'm using TV2 out from my 322. And I guess the channels I lost were VHF?

After the digital transition on feb 17th will broadcasts be only UHF or VHF?

Make sure channel 60 is not being used by one of your reassigned network channels. Here in the LA area channel 60 is temporarily assigned to our CBS channel 2 so combining it with the TV2 output causes you to lose CBS and also makes the TV2 signal weak. Go to tvfool.com and find a channel that does not carry anything then change your TV2 output to that channel and you should get better results.

Make sure channel 60 is not being used by one of your reassigned network channels. Here in the LA area channel 60 is temporarily assigned to our CBS channel 2 so combining it with the TV2 output causes you to lose CBS and also makes the TV2 signal weak. Go to tvfool.com and find a channel that does not carry anything then change your TV2 output to that channel and you should get better results.

According to antennaweb.org there is no ch60 in my area. But that brings up a possibility. I will try a different channel to see if it clears up. There is a Channel 61 in our area and I guess it could interfere with ch60.

Thanks.

IIRC there should be no channels above 59 being broadcast after the transition next month--those channels will be "sold" off to cell and data uses.
You should be at least 2 channels different from any broadcast or the other 722 output channel. Adjacent channels do not work well for analog nor even for digital with more than 3 adjacent channels when the towers are not co-located--by local observation.
-Ken

Well I changed the output to cable ch80 and everything works! I went back to the regular 2way splitter. It's strange though because the tv sees the sat on ch 24 when in antenna mode. When I switch the TV to cable mode it's on ch 80. At least I don't have to switch between modes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts