[TWC] TWC all digital?

aboz said:
Here in Rochester, They ADS'ed the Locals and they look ok, our NBC affilate looks horrible, its still blurry! I know the difference because there is a 2 second delay vs OTA broadcast. I swiotched back to dish and I am happier with the overall quality.

Been there done that, I'm not doing it again. I get so much more with Time Warner, it's cheaper and it's been more reliable. I'd have to be crazy to switch back to Dish.

I feel the opposite, the picture quality was worse on cable, although they have done a good job improving on the overall product. I like that with my limited vision I can read the EPG just fine on my 211/622 recievers. It is good to know that I have 3 good alternataves for TV service. As far as Tech. like On demand, I rarely used it. I did use the PVR a lot, the SA 8300 is not as "polished" as the 622.

I just can't see myself going to dish again. If my HD DVR ever dies, I get it replaced free, I don't have to worry about rain or snow fade (which was a huge issue when I had dish), I didn't have to pay $500 plus for my HD DVR, I get full quality HD Channels, and OnDemand is an excellent feature that I love. Yes, the 8300 isn't as polished as my stand alone Tivo, but it's been great, very reliable, they've worked the bugs out since the early releases. Not to mention I get more channels for less than what I did with dish. I know that it all depends what cable market you're in, but for up here, cable is much better.

aboz said:
I feel the opposite, the picture quality was worse on cable, although they have done a good job improving on the overall product. I like that with my limited vision I can read the EPG just fine on my 211/622 recievers. It is good to know that I have 3 good alternataves for TV service. As far as Tech. like On demand, I rarely used it. I did use the PVR a lot, the SA 8300 is not as "polished" as the 622.

So, I got curious this evening and decided to check out the 1-99 channels to see what channels they are broadcast on and found that nearly every channel is now digital. The only channels that are not available digitally are the local access channels.

Hey,
I was wondering does anyone know of a website that shows which HD channels each provider offers? I remember someone in the Time Warner forum had a link at the bottom of his post..the link had detailed information about what HD channels each provider had..and it also talked about upcoming HD channels also...

If someone can help me, i would really appreciate it..thanks alot.

They just did the all digital here in Northeast ohio, yesterday I got a email here is what it said:

Great news! We've upgraded your Digital Cable service!
Perhaps you've noticed the improved picture and sound quality on your Lifeline and Expanded Basic channels (positions 2 - 100).

Even if you are a Digital Cable customer, these channels used to come to your home in an analog format. Only those channels in the Digital Tier and above were delivered in true Digital. But due to an upgrade to our system, known as Digital Simulcast, Digital Cable customers can now enjoy their Lifeline and Expanded Basic channels in high quality Digital also.

For Lifeline and Expanded Basic customers who choose not to use a cable set-top box, or for other televisions in your home not connected to Digital Cable, we will continue to provide an excellent analog service, without requiring the use of any additional equipment. That's where the "simulcast" comes in - we are delivering the same television channels to the same channel positions, but in Digital to TVs with Digital boxes, and in analog to those without. Everybody wins!

It's a beautiful thing!

do they not do this in every time warner market?

Comcast just did this as well. Except they didn't bother to tell anyone. :) But it is a much nicer picture, except for the occasional pixelation.

-John

The picture is better on some channels (any channel that was fuzzy before) and worse on others (newly added compression artifacts). It's a nice improvement for recording on the DVR, but the PQ is nothing to call home about.

Kramer said:
I don't know about the timeline for specific divisions, but apparently 14 systems were switched over to digital simulcasting in 2005 and the rest will be done this year.

Here's the interview where that was mentioned.

I've asked my local office and here in Nebraska, they expect to be simulcasting by this fall.

According to this article Austin, Texas is all digital. BS, most of the signal is still analog. Appart from the premium channels all I get is analog. For example, HBO is completely digital (quality on par with Dish), but MTV, Discovery, and a lot of others are still analog. Would I still get snow on the Discovery channel if it was digital? Don't think so. I can't believe I am paying close to $100 for this PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts