Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Jan 04, 2006 00:01

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Announces First Wave of 20 Blu-ray Disc Titles

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. & LAS VEGAS --(Business Wire)-- Jan. 4, 2006 Continuing its unwavering support for the Blu-ray format, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today the first wave of feature films to be released by the studio on the much-anticipated new Blu-ray Disc (BD) platform. The broad range of titles chosen will optimally demonstrate the next generation format's superior high-definition audio and visual elements. The initial titles in development include such action-packed blockbusters as FANTASTIC FOUR, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, BEHIND ENEMY LINES and KISS OF THE DRAGON, the CGI-animated comedy ICE AGE along with many others that will bring Fox's total number of first wave releases to 20 titles. The company plans to debut its initial line-up of BD titles to coincide with the Blu-ray hardware launches in North America, Japan and Europe in 2006. Twentieth Century Fox will also plan simultaneous releases of its films on BD and DVD as the format takes hold and household penetration grows.

"Blu-ray is the superior high definition technology that fully delivers on the promise of a next generation format and represents the bright future of home entertainment," noted Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "The release of our films on Blu-ray will provide consumers with in-home entertainment beyond anything they have imagined."

Fox's commitment to emerging technologies is dedicated to enhancing the consumer experience of its products and providing for backward compatibility with their existing home entertainment libraries while also aggressively protecting its intellectual property from piracy. The Blu-ray member companies fully embrace the Studio's steadfast commitment to the fight against piracy and the preservation of the integrity of its properties. Twentieth Century Fox joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association in 2004 and remains an active contributor to the formats continuing development.

About the Blu-ray Disc Association:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is responsible for establishing format standards and promoting and further developing business opportunities for Blu-ray Disc -- the next-generation optical disc for storing high-definition movies, photos and other digital content. The BDA has more than 160 members. Its Board of Directors consists of Apple Computer, Inc.; Dell Inc.; Hewlett Packard Company; Hitachi, Ltd.; LG Electronics Inc.; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Panasonic (Matsushita Electric); Pioneer Corporation; Royal Philips Electronics; Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Sharp Corporation; Sony Corporation; TDK Corporation; Thomson; Twentieth Century Fox; and Walt Disney Pictures and Television.

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC:

A recognized global industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS and DVD as well as video acquisitions and original productions. Each year the Company introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets -- from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce -- throughout the world. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company.

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I haven't really kept up with the Blu-Ray vs. HDDVD thing, but several months ago it was pretty much accepted that one of them (I think HDDVD) was going to be out in time for the Christmas season. I never noticed any hoopla over any hitting store shelves. What happened?

GeorgeLV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2005
Stacy A said:
I haven't really kept up with the Blu-Ray vs. HDDVD thing, but several months ago it was pretty much accepted that one of them (I think HDDVD) was going to be out in time for the Christmas season. I never noticed any hoopla over any hitting store shelves. What happened?

The PS3 will have a Blu-ray drive. HDDVD is dead.

AndyOI

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 26, 2005
I personally don't see the big deal. I have never watched a DVD where I could notice ANY defects, so I really don't care about seeing these movies come out in HD

jonesbruce91361

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 12, 2005
...and an interesting war it will be, Sean.

Hollywood--always a nervous place--must be akin to the atmosphere of stockholder boardrooms in 1929, poised at the windowsill to leap if they make the wrong decision. Interestingly, this is the first time in the long and arduous wait for HD DVD to become a reality, that H'wood is actually IN FAVOR of the move! -- having been a main force in delaying it for so long. But after the double whammy of a year of disappointing boxoffice receipts and trailing DVD sales, they now find themselves very much needing the shot in the arm HD DVD could provide to set sales afire again. But... which format? I think many civilians are so caught up in the HD DVD/BLUERAY war hype they fail to recognize the real pickle H'wood is in. It's name is Game Console.

H'wood desperately wants to get the HD DVD bandwagon rolling, probably as much as you and I, but in the end it's the public that will decide. Unfortunately, the public doesn't always make the best choices (witness the demise of Beta) and because XBox has the lead with it's new HD fited 360 it could sway both public and H'Wood CEO's into that camp while BlueRay gets its act together. Everyone seems to think H'wood will be happy with whatever the public chooses, but this may not be the case. Sure, they want to sell gobs of new HD DVDs and they want to sell them NOW (and they may go the "red" route for all I know) but what they do NOT want is yet another major product change five years from now if BlueRay indeed proves to be the more future friendly format. That would mean the entire DVD industry would have to reramp for BlueRay-only product, costing everyone yet more time and more money, a big bite of which will come out of H'wood's pocket. Yet there is Playstation waiting in the wings with its BlueRay consoles set to go in the spring.

If I were a CEO at Paramount or Fox (funny--they never asked me) I'd be thinking about the format that's going to stay the technology distance. Of course, nothing in electronics is constant, but my guess is that BlueRay has more built-in technological steam and therfore the greater longevity-- before MPEG 26 or whatever comes along to replace it. And longevity, to H'wood, can mean money, something they historically defer to first.

Maybe the question is: is H'wood, by nature, a forward thinking enity?

I guess we'll see...

Bruce Jones

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
What!!
No Star Wars!!!!
Imagine the coup that would be for the Blu-Ray camp to have the 6 Star Wars movies released in the Blu-Ray format.

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
Not as good of initial lineup as HD-DVD.

The bottom line is the consumer won't care which format is better, only which one has the movies they want to watch.

So far HD-DVD is in the lead.

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
jonesbruce91361 said:
...and an interesting war it will be, Sean.
Hollywood--always a nervous place--must be akin to the atmosphere of stockholder boardrooms in 1929, poised at the windowsill to leap if they make the wrong decision. Interestingly, this is the first time in the long and arduous wait for HD DVD to become a reality, that H'wood is actually IN FAVOR of the move! -- having been a main force in delaying it for so long. But after the double whammy of a year of disappointing boxoffice receipts and trailing DVD sales, they now find themselves very much needing the shot in the arm HD DVD could provide to set sales afire again. But... which format? I think many civilians are so caught up in the HD DVD/BLUERAY war hype they fail to recognize the real pickle H'wood is in. It's name is Game Console.
H'wood desperately wants to get the HD DVD bandwagon rolling, probably as much as you and I, but in the end it's the public that will decide. Unfortunately, the public doesn't always make the best choices (witness the demise of Beta) and because XBox has the lead with it's new HD fited 360 it could sway both public and H'Wood CEO's into that camp while BlueRay gets its act together. Everyone seems to think H'wood will be happy with whatever the public chooses, but this may not be the case. Sure, they want to sell gobs of new HD DVDs and they want to sell them NOW (and they may go the "red" route for all I know) but what they do NOT want is yet another major product change five years from now if BlueRay indeed proves to be the more future friendly format. That would mean the entire DVD industry would have to reramp for BlueRay-only product, costing everyone yet more time and more money, a big bite of which will come out of H'wood's pocket. Yet there is Playstation waiting in the wings with its BlueRay consoles set to go in the spring.
If I were a CEO at Paramount or Fox (funny--they never asked me) I'd be thinking about the format that's going to stay the technology distance. Of course, nothing in electronics is constant, but my guess is that BlueRay has more built-in technological steam and therfore the greater longevity-- before MPEG 26 or whatever comes along to replace it. And longevity, to H'wood, can mean money, something they historically defer to first.
Maybe the question is: is H'wood, by nature, a forward thinking enity?
I guess we'll see...
Bruce Jones
There's no "more built-in technological steam" whatever it means...
With the inevitable arrival of Holographic storage withing 2-3 years, both BDE and HD-DVD are temporary solutions - but it's only Sony who really wants to force you to settle down on this for another decade to make them fat rich from royalties before you can step ahead further.

HD-DVD has the edge for ANY SANE customer because:
- technology ergo players are cheaper
- media mfr'ing ergo discs are MUCH CHEAPER
- has a MANDATORY MANAGED COPY built-in, so you can transfer your content rightfully to your iPod or PSP or to your hard drive
- HD-DVD disc has a more durable cover layer - 0.6mm thick, same as the normal DVD -, unlike BDE's thin one (0.1mm yet last summer they dropped the cartridge) ergo you won't buy more replacement discs
Sizewise we have yet to see any mass-produced 50 gig BD-R but 30GB dual layer HD-DVD is already in manufacturer testing since last October.
Neevertheless the whole "bigger dick" issue is completely obselete because of the already showcased prototype of 1TB HVD disc.
I really believe the mandatory managed copy itself should open up everybody's eyes, it shows how Sony and the BDE doesn't care about anybody else but the big studios and themselves, they don't give a sh*t about you.
Of course, neither Toshiba nor MS are angels but in this case our interests are the same as MS' interests, so they will fight off Sony as long as possible.
Die, Blu-Ray, die HD-DVD, long live the Holographic Versatile Disc! :)

DrWho

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2004
GeorgeLV said:
The PS3 will have a Blu-ray drive. HDDVD is dead.
Minus the delay of PS3, due to the very troublesome balancing act to read and write BluRay.
Pioneer BluRay Player - $1800.
PS3 - $399
????
We can only wait and see.
But I like the HDDVD
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=261277&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__business/
First Microsoft announced it would offer an HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360. Then Toshiba America said it would ship its first two HD-DVD players in March at $499,99 and $799,99. By contrast, the first Blu-ray player, a Pioneer Elite model, is expected this summer at $1 800, along with a Samsung player at about $1 000. HD-DVD suddenly looks within the reach of most HDTV owners, and Blu-ray doesn't..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)