Two Hopper 3's allowed on one account?

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hi all,
I know I am beating a dead horse on this one and it has been talked about before, but I figured I would ask to get the latest info. Are two Hopper 3's allowed on one account if I buy the second Hopper 3? Do they both connect to the same dish and "know" that each other one is there. Meaning would the two integrate with the three (or what would be end up being two after I got the additional Hopper 3) 4K Joeys that I have? Meaning 2 Hopper 3's and Two 4K Joeys all sharing the same timers, recordings, etc?
The main reason I ask is I really want the 4 split Sports Bar mode PIP on another TV.
Thanks!
G Islands

Not until the release of the new switch DPH42 that can accommodate a multiple H3 install using one reflector. The last word was that the switch would be available in January. Many of us who want 2 H3's are waiting for this so that two (or more?) H3's can be on ONE account. Patience. We are almost there, I hope. Keep an eye out at CES first full week of January. I would think Dish would display and demo this and crow about it. I can't think of any other surprises Dish may have for CES. Of course, keep checking in this forum. I'm sure we will hear about Dish offering multiple H3 installs first on SatGuys. I expect SatGuys to TRUMPET such news. :).

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's not to say that some customers don't already have 2 Hopper 3s on one account, because they do. I've been on some service calls where that was exactly the case, however it required 2 dishes.

Sent from my LG-D851 using the SatelliteGuys app!

That's not to say that some customers don't already have 2 Hopper 3s on one account, because they do. I've been on some service calls where that was exactly the case, however it required 2 dishes.

Sent from my LG-D851 using the SatelliteGuys app!
There was a thread in this forum too about a fellow forum member that had one account but two dishes. And if I remember correctly I think his two Hopper 3s could see each other. I will try to find the thread when I have time this weekend. I should of bookmarked it. I am betting that when the DPH42 switch comes out it will be a one dish thing, one account too, and both Hopper 3s will be able to see each other. Time will tell or maybe Scott will find out at CES. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
There was a thread in this forum too about a fellow forum member that had one account but two dishes. And if I remember correctly I think his two Hopper 3s could see each other. I will try to find the thread when I have time this weekend. I should of bookmarked it. I am betting that when the DPH42 switch comes out it will be a one dish thing, one account too, and both Hopper 3s will be able to see each other. Time will tell or maybe Scott will find out at CES. ;)
My Tech also said I can have another Hopper, But he would have to use a second Dish also, and Both Hoppers would have to be connected to the router as the Bridging wouldn't work since the system isn't using a Duo node like before to incorporate the system.
Thats where the DPH 42 comes in.

But he did say both connected Hoppers could see each other through your network.
But he didn't know how reliable it is,
And he didn't know how reliable playback was either using only your home network.

And you can't cross link the Joeys.
Its still separate moca networks.

So not sure if that was ever claimed but it seems logical.
Again though all here say.

If the Guy that Charles is talking about would actually post some pictures and spend some time showing us his system, we all would get a lot of answers.
But hard to take post seriously when they are reluctant to post any serious information about the system.

You just connect a client port from each hub together and you have everything on the MoCA network. Both H3's and all the Joeys are then connected.
Perfect!
Why can't a Duo Hub just be used?
Is the Hybrid LNB not capable of 32 tuners?

It has to be if they are Building a switch for it though...

Thats where the DPH 42 comes in.
I'd be very surprised if the switch passes MOCA between the ports. Interconnection down stream via client ports or Ethernet will likely be required.

And he didn't know how reliable playback was either using only your home network.
With decent networking equipment it is 100% solid. But the state of any particular individual's network is a crap shoot so I doubt Dish will ever have such a config as officially supported.

And you can't cross link the Joeys.
Again, I'd be surprised if it doesn't work just like a multi HWS install when one or more components are Ethernet only.

If the Guy that Charles is talking about would actually post some pictures and spend some time showing us his system, we all would get a lot of answers. But hard to take post seriously when they are reluctant to post any serious information about the system.

There seems to be a lot of FUD here about all of this, but I don't think anyone that understands networking has any real doubts. What has been stated as working is exactly what should be expected.

Dish would have to deliberately go out of their way to code the H3 differently than H/HWS to actively prevent all of this from "just working." Entirely possible, but that has not been their history.

When I got my Hopper 3 upgrade, the tech was finishing an installation that he started the day before but ran into issues. He was trying to install (2) Hopper 3 but couldn't get it to work. His supervisor had to tell him about having to use (2) dishes. So he installed what he could the day before and installed the 2nd dish before my appointment and everything was good to go. The customer has (2) Hoppers.

It's been posted here by plenty of people that they've got (2) Hopper 3 units. It does take some non-standard entry on Dish's end, but it can be done.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Here is the thread about two Hopper 3s. After reading the thread again, I am not sure if he has one account or not. It does appear his two Hopper 3s can see each other.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/the-deal-with-two-hopper-3s.363109/

Reactions: Troch77
Did Dish change the rules or their policy on this ?

When the Hopper 3 first came out, this was the case but it may have simply been that 'engineering' didn't support it yet or document how to do it. A few months in, it quietly became possible.
I am told No. Still not allowed.

I am told No. Still not allowed.
IMO they shouldn't have to allow it.

16 Tuners for a Family of 7 would still have the more capability then 7
Dual tuner receivers.

You need more capacity? EHD.
Timers??? Our family of 4 can't even muster up 40 timers let alone have the time to watch 100 or 200 what ever the Hopper has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)