Two new birds to be launched on 10-16-14!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Two new birds are called.......:)

Arsat-1 at 70.8* w and Intelsat-30 at 95*w.

Not sure will they convererge on NA beam patterns any ideas guys?

Like I say they will be launched on 10-16-14!

Can't wait for the new birds to be up and running!

The FCC has already granted approval for the use of Intelsat 30 at 95°W. There isn't going to be a holdup like the one going on with SES-3. Also, the primary use of Intelsat 30 is indeed going to be for DirecTV services to South America, the Caribbean, and, possibly, the southwest United States (there is an 11400-11700 MHz Ku-band footprint that will be centered over California). As for C-band from this satellite, the C-band payload aboard is only capable of operating in the extended part of the band between 3400-3700 MHz (space-to-earth). These frequencies are mostly reserved for non-broadcast purposes in the United States, and Intelsat has informed the FCC that they have no intention of using Intelsat 30 to provide C-band service to the United States.

Following the launch of Intelsat 30, a virtually identical satellite, Intelsat 31, is expected to be launched and placed alongside Intelsat 30 at 95°W. As far as I am aware, Galaxy 3C is going to stay at 95°W and will operate alongside the two new satellites. Galaxy 3C should still have 3+ years of life remaining.

Reactions: lost_mesa
IntelSat30 appears to be primarily for Latin America DirecTV services, but it does carry 4 C-band transponders. The KU footprints show coverage into the SW UA.

yes, Intelsat 30 covers DirecTV's Latin America DTH. The 4 C-band transponders are extended C-band transponders (out of the 3.7-4.2 GHz ones we watch) and there are some transponders that are the standard North American 11.7-12.2 GHz. By "restoration" in all the Intelsat press releases, I assume those would come into play if Galaxy 3C has a problem and there is a need to restore the Ku-band portion of Galaxy 3C (CCTV, FM2, hughesnet, some DirecTV international stuff, etc) that are
beamed to North America. I don't know what would happen to G3C C-band transponders in case of emergency since Intelsat 30 doesn't cover that (but Intelsat 31 may, I will have to check the tech specs on it). If it happened before Intelsat 31, I could see the current users shuffling off to other satellites and Galaxy 12 sliding over to keep Intelsat from losing their c-band license at 95W.

I don't know what would happen to G3C C-band transponders in case of emergency since Intelsat 30 doesn't cover that (but Intelsat 31 may, I will have to check the tech specs on it).

Intelsat 31 has the same C-band specs as Intelsat 30 -- four transponders in the extended part of the band that is not used in the United States for broadcast purposes. There is, however, a difference between the two satellites with regard to polarization. Intelsat 30's C-band transponders are only horizontally polarized, while Intelsat 31's C-band transponders are only vertically polarized.

It's a bit unclear whether or not Intelsat intends to keep Galaxy 3C at 95°W once Intelsat 30 and Intelsat 31 are in place. Intelsat's filings have contradicted themselves on this matter; in some cases, they mention Galaxy 3C will be moved elsewhere, yet in other cases they indicate Galaxy 3C will stay in place and operate next to the two new satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)