TX-NR838 or AVR-X3100W ??

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I cannot decide. I'm rather partial to Onkyo. I have owned my fair share of them and have generally been happy with them. That being said, my last two had to have the HDMI boards replaced in them. Fortunately, Onkyo did step up to the plate on the more recent one and repaired it, without cost to me, outside of warranty.

Had I not had any issues with my current receiver, I probably would have already purchases the 838. But I figured I would look into the Denons as well.

I'm currently using a TX-NR609, and when I purchased it, I figured I was good to go when 4k arrived. I have since discovered that it will only "upconvert" to 4k, and not pass it through. So, currently, I have an HDMI cable from my HTPC to my 4k TV, and then an optical cable to the Onkyo for audio. Not an ideal situation.

I will likely wait until Black Friday to see what rolls around.

Not sure on this Onkyo, but they swapped to AccuEq and I would go with the Audyssey model (Older Onkyo or Denon's)

Just my opinion.

I wasn't aware that any of the older models did 4k passthrough, but it looks like the TX-NR828 and 929's do.

You can probably get a 2013 model off Amazon for a great deal (828 is real cheap right now).

I looked on AC4L, all they have right now is refurbs.

I ended up buying an 828 from Amazon for $599. I couldn't really pass up that deal!

It will be delivered on Wed, but I don't have time to mess with it until this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)