U.S. And Russian Satellites Collide

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
U.S. And Russian Satellites Collide, Communications Satellite Hits Russian Satellite; International Space Station Deemed Safe - CBS News

(CBS) By CBS News space analyst Bill Harwood
A commercial Iridium communications satellite collided with a Russian satellite or satellite fragment, Tuesday, creating a cloud of wreckage in low-Earth orbit, officials said Wednesday. The international space station is not threatened by the debris, they said, but it's not yet clear whether it poses a risk to any other satellites in similar orbits.

"Everybody is saying the risk is minimal to NASA assets," said an agency manager who asked not to be identified.

Once source said U.S. Space Command was tracking about 280 pieces of debris, most of it from the defunct Russian satellite. A spokesman for U.S. Space Command was not aware of the incident but he said he would try to track down additional details. Calls to Iridium Satellite LLC were not immediately returned.

Iridium operates a constellation of some 66 satellites, along with orbital spares, to support satellite telephone operations around the world. The spacecraft are in orbits tilted 86.4 degrees to the equator at an altitude of about 485 miles.

The space station circles the globe at an altitude of about 215 miles in an orbit tilted 51.6 degrees to the equator. Other civilian science satellites operate in polar orbits similar to Iridium's and presumably could face an increased risk as a result of the collision. But again, details were not immediately available.

More info:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0902/11iridium/

Last edited:
I forget the name of the short story where a planet was doomed never to have any space flights or satellites because a war had the powers blow up all the communications satellites in space causing an impenetrable cloud of debris to shroud the globe. This is scary stuff. This debris has to go somewhere and most of it isn't going to fall out of orbit right away.

See ya
Tony

The problem now is we have lots of "little pieces" flying in all sorts of untrackable directions. Chances are still small that something else will be hit since space is awfully large, but even a small piece of shrapnel will kill anything it hits. We don't need lasers to bring down satellites...bee-bees with sufficient momentum will do the trick. :)

See ya
Tony

Somebody is saying oops today, other than the satellite people in El Segundo that kiiled a bunch of DVRs last night (or their scheduled recordings at least).

I guess this one is a little bigger oops.

Space is big. Satellites are small. What are the odds of a collision?

The first outer space traffic accident. :confused:
Hardly. Ten minutes with Google turned up the following:

4space_shuttle_window.jpg

From STS-7, circa 1983.

sind_01_img0009.jpg

From STS-97, circa 2000.

windowhit200.jpg

Another shuttle window hit.

So, to answer your first question, higher than you'd think.

The orbit is moderately low, but the debris cloud is rather large (and growing). Not a good thing...

I wonder if there are small pieces with enough energy from the collision to make it to GEO. There is still quite a bit of space out at GEO so a working sat probably is unlikely to be hit.

I do think the ISS is in decent danger since the pieces have to come through the orbit altitude of the ISS on their way to decay. I expect ISS to be doing a lot of avoidance maneuvers as some of those pieces come close to the ISS on their way to eventual decay.

I wonder if there are small pieces with enough energy from the collision to make it to GEO. ...

Perhaps you thinking about explosion, not collision - in later case I would say theoretically impossible those particles to reach GSO orbit 36000km altitude starting from LEO 800 km orbit. Sorry, but it's baseless speculation.

Small things exist in orbit around earth by the millions. It is no surprise that the Space Shuttle windows have been hit more than once. Most satellites are built to withstand reasonably low energy collisions with small objects. But two full size satellites crashing into each other was thought to be extremely improbable. Yet it happened. Somebody somewhere was asleep at the switch, or our tracking facilities are not as good as I thought they were.

As someone earlier said, the geosynchronous satellites (like those used for GPS and for satellite TV) are in no danger from this debris cloud. But there are plenty of satellites that are now at greatly increased risk, including all the NOAA weather satellites and the Earth Observing System satellites. Most of them are in orbits at 700 km, a mere 80 km lower than the two that crashed. Debris will cross their orbits. It is true that there is a lot of volume up there. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the probability of some big chunk wiping out one of these birds is still very small. But it is not zero. The people who operate these satellites are going to have to be vigilant. Some of their lifetimes may be shortened by having to use up fuel for evasive maneuvers.

Okay, we launch big Aerogel disks a few inches thick and as wide across as we can fit in a launch vehicle and fly them with the disk's face exposed to the direction of travel. After a year or so of collecting the smaller debris pieces, the disks are de-orbited (presumably in an area where no one would be at risk). Sort of like skimming a pool to pick up bugs and leaves and gunk, but at orbital velocities... :)

For the bigger objects, there's always the SPECTRE Solution. Of course, that may lead to heightened international tensions and you'd need to find a nice volcano that could double as your top-secret launch facility... :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts