Unable to pickup 101w

Lots of posts here referencing to getting your signals peaked.
If the lnbf is not pointed straight at the dish center. Which is possible. Getting a signal using DP as a reference might still need you to move the feed assy. for the best signal on H&V transponders.
101W should be pretty easy to grab. But first find any signal you can or have been able to, and adjust your feed components for the best possible signal. Your buttonhook feed is similar to mine.
So you will also be able to move the scalar in and out sightly independent of the lnbf.
The f/D ratio you're told to set it all to has a bit of wiggle room.
tvrosat.com has pretty good satellite charts with expected signals for transponders. And yes. 99.2 has some blasting strong C band transponders.
A hint. Unbolt the and detatch the motor so you can turn the actuator manually until you get the dish peaked in.

Lots of posts here referencing to getting your signals peaked.
If the lnbf is not pointed straight at the dish center. Which is possible. Getting a signal using DP as a reference might still need you to move the feed assy. for the best signal on H&V transponders.
101W should be pretty easy to grab. But first find any signal you can or have been able to, and adjust your feed components for the best possible signal. Your buttonhook feed is similar to mine.
So you will also be able to move the scalar in and out sightly independent of the lnbf.
The f/D ratio you're told to set it all to has a bit of wiggle room.
tvrosat.com has pretty good satellite charts with expected signals for transponders. And yes. 99.2 has some blasting strong C band transponders.
A hint. Unbolt the and detatch the motor so you can turn the actuator manually until you get the dish peaked in.
Ok do you have any idea where the scaler ring should be set

I’m pretty sure that it is because it worked 30 years ago
Read this until you understand it well: C-Band Polar Mount Dish Installation Guide - TVROSat

You also need to recheck that pole level, as it could have changed over 30 years.

P.S. IF that dish has been on that pole for 30 years, Declination has changed a LOT since it was first setup. That needs to be readjusted. Have you done that?

Give us a history of what you have done so far so nobody is chasing geese.
Like. Have you changed the scalar position from where it was 25 years ago?
Is the pole still plumb? Not close. Plumb, zero bubble in all points around it vertically?
New lnbf? If you have gotten a signal does pulling/pushing the dish rim up/down/left/right make a difference in received signal?

I changed the lnbf and I kept the same scaler ring position as 30 years ago I adjust the skew and scaler ring position and it doesn’t do anything
Give us a history of what you have done so far so nobody is chasing geese.
Like. Have you changed the scalar position from where it was 25 years ago?
Is the pole still plumb? Not close. Plumb, zero bubble in all points around it vertically?
New lnbf? If you have gotten a signal does pulling/pushing the dish rim up/down/left/right make a difference in received signal?

From #28
Considering the dish was setup correctly and it is not deformed over time. And it looks like a damned nice one.
You put in a new lnbf. Okay. Give us more.

I suspect you read or duplicated the number scale position that is on the lnbf tube. A starting point.
Are you positive that the lnbf is pointing directly at the dead center of the dish?
In other words your dish may be pointed slightly off center from dead nuts aimed at your chosen satellite.
And you tuned the lnbf to get a signal. Not cool.
The throat of the lnbf has to be aimed at the center of the dish. Then you go signal hunting.
Which is why you should detatch the motor to make it easier to manually turn the actuator screw.

You stated that you turned the lnbf to get the best signal (skew). Did you try going more in or out of the scalar?
Skew and focus is what you need to attain. A balance of equal signal between horizontal and vertical transponders.
If you find that you have a signal and the lnbf looks a touch off from being aimed at the center of the dish.
Fix it. Sharpie pen the lnbf tube for reference. Aim the thing at the center. And use a screwdriver, vice grips. Whatever.
And turn the actuator screw until you once again get a signal.
Tune the lnbf again.
If you do happen to grab a signal. Turn the actuator screw until its the strongest.
Then give the dish a push/pull on the lower rim.
What happens to your signal strength?
If the dish has dipped because the pole has sagged in the dirt over the...how many?....years.
It needs to be fixed. But if the dish has in fact pole leans back and the dish dipped to the horizon a touch. Then you may see it in the lnbf with it having to be aimed slightly lower from the dish center.
...But yours looks tilted back. Like the dish is tilted up in the sky more. Again. Not cool. At all.

We need to know if your pole is plumb. If it's not and it can't cant be remedied easily then you will at most only be able to track a few satellites in a narrow arc close together.

I'll step aside on this one. Trust the dudes. They know their beans.

LNBF brand and type?
What are you using to check signal?
What is the condition of the coax?
Have you adjusted any of the geometry of the dish?
Is that pole plumb?
Give it all. They will need it. So will the geese!

From #28
Considering the dish was setup correctly and it is not deformed over time. And it looks like a damned nice one.
You put in a new lnbf. Okay. Give us more.

I suspect you read or duplicated the number scale position that is on the lnbf tube. A starting point.
Are you positive that the lnbf is pointing directly at the dead center of the dish?
In other words your dish may be pointed slightly off center from dead nuts aimed at your chosen satellite.
And you tuned the lnbf to get a signal. Not cool.
The throat of the lnbf has to be aimed at the center of the dish. Then you go signal hunting.
Which is why you should detatch the motor to make it easier to manually turn the actuator screw.

You stated that you turned the lnbf to get the best signal (skew). Did you try going more in or out of the scalar?
Skew and focus is what you need to attain. A balance of equal signal between horizontal and vertical transponders.
If you find that you have a signal and the lnbf looks a touch off from being aimed at the center of the dish.
Fix it. Sharpie pen the lnbf tube for reference. Aim the thing at the center. And use a screwdriver, vice grips. Whatever.
And turn the actuator screw until you once again get a signal.
Tune the lnbf again.
If you do happen to grab a signal. Turn the actuator screw until its the strongest.
Then give the dish a push/pull on the lower rim.
What happens to your signal strength?
If the dish has dipped because the pole has sagged in the dirt over the...how many?....years.
It needs to be fixed. But if the dish has in fact pole leans back and the dish dipped to the horizon a touch. Then you may see it in the lnbf with it having to be aimed slightly lower from the dish center.
...But yours looks tilted back. Like the dish is tilted up in the sky more. Again. Not cool. At all.

We need to know if your pole is plumb. If it's not and it can't cant be remedied easily then you will at most only be able to track a few satellites in a narrow arc close together.

I'll step aside on this one. Trust the dudes. They know their beans.

LNBF brand and type?
What are you using to check signal?
What is the condition of the coax?
Have you adjusted any of the geometry of the dish?
Is that pole plumb?
Give it all. They will need it. So will the geese!
The lnbf is a titanium satellite one I’m using the receiver to check signal which drops in and out I don’t use the actuator to adjust I use the bolts to mount it to the pole to rotate it

Reactions: arlo
The lnbf is a titanium satellite one I’m using the receiver to check signal which drops in and out I don’t use the actuator to adjust I use the bolts to mount it to the pole to rotate it
Then it's time to show the mount and the adjustments it has. Take good photos.
And still waiting on those details.
I'm seeing a polar mount. If you have loosened bolts and moved the dish any at all. It's no longer aligned with the polar axis.
Is it your intention to have it fixed on 101W and will you have the provision to use the actuator?

As it stands. If the dish was aligned correctly for years. And again. Assuming that the pole is still plumb.
You shouldn't have needed to loosen anything at all.
All you needed to do was move the actuator screw. And the dish would have correctly tracked the satellite arc just by turning it. 97, 99, 101, 103, 105....and so on. Would have just been there by moving just the actuator with its screw.

So. 2 options. Not intending to ever use the mount as it was intended to be? And treat it like your typical azimuth/elevation mount (DN, DirecTV).
Or return it to the correct geometry and use the actuator. Whether with electricity, a dish controller, or like some of us old time dudes. With a crank.
Hopefully before you moved anything you marked where it previously was. But even that probably won't be enough when you try to return it.
Else you're heading out to Home Depot or Harbor Freight for a digital angle gauge to set it all back up.

So. Where was it aimed at before the bolts were loosened? How much did you move it?
Did you turn the entire dish on the pole?
Did you realize that all that was needed was to turn the actuator screw? A bit of a pickle. Time for decisions, me thinks.

Attachments

• Joshua_a.jpg
    Joshua_a.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 45
Still, NO photos showing the mount, and NO proof that you've even checked if the pole is still level both ways at the top.

I'm out. If you can't follow instructions, I'm not giving anymore help., because you'll never get anywhere if you refuse to start at the START, which means a LEVEL POLE and reading ALL the info in the link I posted upthread.

Then it's time to show the mount and the adjustments it has. Take good photos.
And still waiting on those details.
I'm seeing a polar mount. If you have loosened bolts and moved the dish any at all. It's no longer aligned with the polar axis.
Is it your intention to have it fixed on 101W and will you have the provision to use the actuator?

As it stands. If the dish was aligned correctly for years. And again. Assuming that the pole is still plumb.
You shouldn't have needed to loosen anything at all.
All you needed to do was move the actuator screw. And the dish would have correctly tracked the satellite arc just by turning it. 97, 99, 101, 103, 105....and so on. Would have just been there by moving just the actuator with its screw.

So. 2 options. Not intending to ever use the mount as it was intended to be? And treat it like your typical azimuth/elevation mount (DN, DirecTV).
Or return it to the correct geometry and use the actuator. Whether with electricity, a dish controller, or like some of us old time dudes. With a crank.
Hopefully before you moved anything you marked where it previously was. But even that probably won't be enough when you try to return it.
Else you're heading out to Home Depot or Harbor Freight for a digital angle gauge to set it all back up.

So. Where was it aimed at before the bolts were loosened? How much did you move it?
Did you turn the entire dish on the pole?
Did you realize that all that was needed was to turn the actuator screw? A bit of a pickle. Time for decisions, me thinks.
I turned it in the pole and I just tried lining it up with a dish pointer app

Still, NO photos showing the mount, and NO proof that you've even checked if the pole is still level both ways at the top.

I'm out. If you can't follow instructions, I'm not giving anymore help., because you'll never get anywhere if you refuse to start at the START, which means a LEVEL POLE and reading ALL the info in the link I posted upthread.
I’m going to do that I just haven’t had time to yet

Reactions: primestar31

I also read the whole link you posted and I’m following it step by step

Reactions: primestar31
Please do as requested. Read back. If at all possible you must turn the dish back on the pole exactly where it was and bolt it back down tight. Not close. Exact.
State every single thing you have done to change where the dish initially was. In detail.
Again. I will be with Primestar too if #36 is not satisfied to a tee.

Repeating. All you had to do was turn the actuator to lengthen/shorten the arm with the motor or manually with the motor unbolted from it. And the dish would hit every satellite in the arc.

Please do as requested. Read back. If at all possible you must turn the dish back on the pole exactly where it was and bolt it back down tight. Not close. Exact.
State every single thing you have done to change where the dish initially was. In detail.
Again. I will be with Primestar too if #36 is not satisfied to a tee.

Repeating. All you had to do was turn the actuator to lengthen/shorten the arm with the motor or manually with the motor unbolted from it. And the dish would hit every satellite in the arc.
I don’t know exactly where the dish was before I messed with it and I’m only trying to get one satellite which is 101w and I’m using a dish pointer app to do so