Universal Remote Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
My budget setup is in my signature below. What would be a good universal remote for this type of setup?

:confused:

Thanks in advance

It all depends on what you are looking for.
Any Harmony remote should be able to handle your equipment, including the latest and the cheapest one: the $99 520.

I'd recomend the Harmony line of remotes. I have the 680 and it kicks ass.
easy to program. easy to operate. heck even my mother-in-law can use it.

ValueElectronics sells them, and so does TigerDirect.com, among others.

If you want to do some research on the Harmoney remotes, head over to logitech.com.

I recently bought the Harmony 768 at buy.com. This is my second Harmony, I had a more expensive model over a year ago and got rid of it. This time, I bought a smaller unit with less buttons and finally got the hang of programming it via the web. They are a little time consuming to setup, but well worth the time and effort. I have all kinds of AV equipment, including the Accurian HD tuner, and Dishnet DIVER, Tivo, Gateway AR230 DAVID-VICAR, Sony surround receiver, and Sony TV. Once I set it up, it can do this with one push of a button. If I select "watch FATA" , the Harmony turns the TV on, selects the proper port for the FTA receiver, turns the FTA on and presets it to whatever channel I want, and turns the receiver on to the proper port for surround sound from the FTA. If I then select "Watch Dishnet", the FTA goes off, the TV switches ports to the Dishnet, the receiver switches ports to the Dishnet. In both cases, the channel lineup changes so channel information is stored in the Harmony, and when I am on Watch FTA, I see the channel lineup for FTA in the LCD display on the remote, same with the Dishnet. After switching to FTA, the remote buttons control the function of the FTA receiver, but the volume buttons control the receiver volume, and the mute controls the Receiver mute. When I switch to Dishnet, the remote now controls the DIshnet receiver, plus the correct volume and mute relevant to that activity. Harmony is a very powerful remote control. I feel it was a bargain at the $56 I paid for it. The setup and learning curve of the Harmony can be rough, but you can get plenty of help on the NET. Once you get the hang of what you are doing, it will become easy and fast to make changes. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)