Update Hopper 3+ freezing with On Demand FIXED

Frodo302

Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
North Carolina
I have an update on my original post, after much troubleshooting on my part I think I may have found the culprit. Hopper was freezing with any on demand title. Freezes could happen at any point in the viewing, beginning, middle or end of title. Did the normal troubleshooting with Dish and they determined it was the Hopper +. A new H+ was sent out and installed. Still freezing with on demand. So I started my own troubleshooting. Did many hard and soft resets. Checked the ethernet cables, replaced cables with new known working cable. Tried upper and lower ethernet connections on Hopper with no joy. I then tested the download speed via the connection status in settings on the Hopper. Only getting 1.5 mps download. Need at least 5 according to Dish in one of my conversations with a CSR. Thought something was up with my router or internet. Tested each ethernet port on the router with my laptop and got 300 mps download and upload. So doubtful it is the router. Checked for known issues with Dish and Att fiber router and found a post about some ports that need to be opened here Att internet will not fully connect with dish network hopper | AT&T Community Forums
Opened all the ports per the post, rebooted everything and still had the freezes with On demand. I wondered if it was possible the issue lies with Dish's ethernet on the Hopper, so I said what the heck and disconnected the ethernet and connected WiFi and rebooted everything. Low and behold I now can perfectly watch any on demand without freezing, buffering, or hiccups. I am happy it works, but understand that normally a hardwired install works best. Should I call Dish and detail everything I went through and see if they will replace the Hopper because it has a bad ethernet port? Or is this a common issue that Dish needs to address in a hardware refresh? Thanks for reading. Hope this helps someone going through the freezing issue.

I have an update on my original post, after much troubleshooting on my part I think I may have found the culprit. Hopper was freezing with any on demand title. Freezes could happen at any point in the viewing, beginning, middle or end of title. Did the normal troubleshooting with Dish and they determined it was the Hopper +. A new H+ was sent out and installed. Still freezing with on demand. So I started my own troubleshooting. Did many hard and soft resets. Checked the ethernet cables, replaced cables with new known working cable. Tried upper and lower ethernet connections on Hopper with no joy. I then tested the download speed via the connection status in settings on the Hopper. Only getting 1.5 mps download. Need at least 5 according to Dish in one of my conversations with a CSR. Thought something was up with my router or internet. Tested each ethernet port on the router with my laptop and got 300 mps download and upload. So doubtful it is the router. Checked for known issues with Dish and Att fiber router and found a post about some ports that need to be opened here Att internet will not fully connect with dish network hopper | AT&T Community Forums
Opened all the ports per the post, rebooted everything and still had the freezes with On demand. I wondered if it was possible the issue lies with Dish's ethernet on the Hopper, so I said what the heck and disconnected the ethernet and connected WiFi and rebooted everything. Low and behold I now can perfectly watch any on demand without freezing, buffering, or hiccups. I am happy it works, but understand that normally a hardwired install works best. Should I call Dish and detail everything I went through and see if they will replace the Hopper because it has a bad ethernet port? Or is this a common issue that Dish needs to address in a hardware refresh? Thanks for reading. Hope this helps someone going through the freezing issue.
I would let Josh.M know by PM.

I have had this problem since day 1 installation of May of this year. Not every OD but some of them freeze up hard and I usually have to do a reboot to get everything working again. I have a hardwire connection and tested up/down speeds well over 500mbs up/down.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The issue I've had for over a year, is whenever I try to play an on demand title for the first time, the Hopper 3 will start the download, then lock up with an error message. If I reboot the Hopper 3, generally it's okay the rest of the day. The recycle repeats the next time I try to watch on demand title. I've a new Hopper 3 shipped today after negotiating a steep discount on my service.

Reactions: charlesrshell