Upgrade install advice

TecNOfile

Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
KCMO
Hello, just signed up on the forums a few days ago although I have been reading it off and on for awhile. Lots of good stuff here and its a great site!! This is my first post so forgive my newbness! :D I have scoured the forums using the search function and I think I found the answers to many questions I had but wanted to make sure I was understanding things correctly.

Currently my satellite dish is the dish 500 with, I think, a legacy twin lnb(when I do a check switch it shows '500 twin" and the back of the lnbf doesnt have the black logo its just grey) and I have 2 dish 301 receivers.

I want to upgrade one reciever to a dual tuner with dvr so I can hook up 2 tvs on the first floor of the house. I was looking on the dish network subscriber website and it said they have a "dishn it up" promo where you can get a dish 522 "lease"/upgrade for $100 and was thinking about going that route. I was thinking about replacing the other 301 on the second floor with one of two recievers that my sister gave me(she moved into a townhome/condo and didnt need hers anymore). The two she gave me were a dish 501 and 510.

As I understand it I can either get a dish pro twin, dish pro plus twin or dish pro quad lnb and get the new recievers to work correctly, with possibly some combination of switches or diplexors, if using one of the twins.

My questions are:

1. Is the "dishn it up" 522 lease thing a good way to go or is their some websites that sell them outright or ebay that would be a better way to go? And what does this dish lease typically involve(your soul, first born, etc)??

2. Is buying lnb's off of ebay a good idea or does someone have a better suggestion of some place to buy one??

3. For the second floor reciever would you use the 501 or 510? Is one better than the other? As I understand it one has a 40gb drive the other a 100??

4. Which would be the better lnb to use??

Any of your sagely advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Like you, I had three 301s and did the $100.00 upgrade to a 522 (actually got a 625) back in Sept. I definately recommend leasing. First, the retail shelf value will plumet in the next year or so you are going to be out at least 100 bucks no matter which way you go. If you lease, they will send out an installer and (at least for me) will swap out the old legacy switch with a DPP twin, no charge. Also, it the unit craps out, they will replace it. As for 501/510, no experience with either.

Forgot...you will have a 4.99 per mo. reciever/lease charge (but remember that for two actuall receivers in one) and a 5.98 DVR fee. One year commitment. Also remember if you use one of your sisters's units, there wil be another DVR fee. If you go with the America's Everything program package, DVR fees are waived.

KAB said:
Forgot...you will have a 4.99 per mo. reciever/lease charge (but remember that for two actuall receivers in one) and a 5.98 DVR fee. One year commitment. Also remember if you use one of your sisters's units, there wil be another DVR fee. If you go with the America's Everything program package, DVR fees are waived.

Thanks for the quick responses! Hmmm..... so you have to pay $100 AND 4.99 per month AND a 1 year commitment just for the "dishn it up" 522/625 new receiver?? Am I understanding that correct???

Also does anyone know if you get the dish pro plus twin lnb can 2 dual tuner receivers be hooked up with 2 separators?? Trying to figure out all my options here.. Thanks!

Yes. And Yes. You are already paying 4.99 per for your 2nd 301, so it's a wash there.

And again. If you get a 2nd dual tuner, you will have to buy that one. Only one dual tuner lease per upgrade, per year.

To all you embracing the great 622 deal

Copyright Protection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)