Upgrade or Repair - Your Opinion is Wanted!

jstrait

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2004
Greenville, SC
I currently have 2 receivers, a VIP722K and a VIP211. After some other issues were resolved, I have determined that the 211 is no longer functional. I can, of course, get the 211 replaced and be done with it. I can also go down the upgrade path. I am thinking I would want a Hopper (with or without Sling?) and a Super Joey. I would also consider adding a 3rd TV by way of the Wireless Joey. I don't know if the Hopper and/or the Joey units support OTA or if an OTA upgrade is required. What say you all?

Thanks!
Jeff

Unlikely anyone (except Claude) is going to tell you not to upgrade. All depends on if you want to pay the added monthly cost. Oh, and don't even bother if you don't go with Hopper with Sling. Hoppers can be fitted with an optional OTA dongle.

Reactions: ChadT41 and jstrait
My advice mirrors the others mostly. Except, if you are a tech nerd like most here, upgrade in August(possibly sooner) when the new remote comes out. And GUI. Don't want to get a new machine, learn the new interface just for it to change interface again a couple months later.

Reactions: jstrait and ggw2000
I wouldn't wait on it for just a remote control if I were you. The Carbon UI is coming out anyway. One suggestion I might make, if I were you, I'd see about getting two Hoppers rather than just the Hopper and the Super Joey. You get one extra tuner that way, and it's just $2 more per month, probably the best thing though, is the redundancy, since the SJ depends on the Hopper, if it malfunctions, you are without until a replacement arrives, if you have two Hoppers, you have a backup.

Reactions: jstrait
I've been using Harmony remotes for years, is there a compelling reason to use Dish's remotes (current or future)?
It's mostly a personal preference. I only use my harmony to change activities then I use the device remote.

I use my Harmonies for everything. I've got my Dish remotes in a hideaway..... The Harmony will do everything a present day Dish remote will do....

Reactions: navychop
The Harmony One is IR only. I rarely use it anymore. I like the Dish Remote because it is RF and IR, no aiming required to operate the Hopper. The only time I have to aim is to change the volume on my Sony Receiver.

To further that, after that last post, I used the Harmony pointed at the ceiling, the floor, side walls and even back wall. Hopper responded to all of them...

I can aim my Harmony 700 at the ceiling and it will control all of my devices, including the Hopper. It puts out quite a burst.
To further that, after that last post, I used the Harmony pointed at the ceiling, the floor, side walls and even back wall. Hopper responded to all of them...
To be fair, every Dish IR remote control I have used works just as well as you describe without having to aim it.

For some reason, my Harmony remote, I think it is a Harmony One, anyway it is IR only, but it seems to work better than any other IR remote I have used, I can just point in the general direction of the device, and it works, don't seem to have to point it right at it like I do other IR remotes.

Reactions: navychop
I also agree with the recommendation of upgrading as long as you are ok with the additional monthly costs. Personally I have a Harmony Hub which is awesome. I just have it placed near all of my electronic devices and the remotes that transmit to the hub send the signals via RF for the little hard button remote or via wifi if I'm using the app on my tablet or smartphone.